Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
lifestylemanoz
Dojo: Aikido Kobukai
Australia
I think your wrong about your Aikido

Hi,

Just posted an article on my blog and would appreciate some feedback.

http://aikidohombu.com/think-youre-wrong-aikido/

Cheer,
Rusty

Old 10-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: I think your wrong about your Aikido

Thanks for the article Russell.

It's so fun to watch students progress!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

I've had several instructors say that the standard for becoming proficient with a movement (which means a technique) is to repeat that movement 10,000 times.

Easy for a one-body, hand striking technique, you could possibly get to 10, 000 strikes in 1-2 weeks of very intense training, and even with kicking techniques, due to body size issues, probably 4-6 weeks to do it with kicks, depending on complexity.

But linked-system arts, the grappling stuff, requires both you and the partner to reset, and to attempt to do the exact same movement (exact is impossible, right) in a two-body system.

So, it takes a long, long time to get those same 10, 00 repetitions in.

And, all the while you're trying to get the reps in, you have to work on all the other things you need to get the reps in on!

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
kewms

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
Easy for a one-body, hand striking technique, you could possibly get to 10, 000 strikes in 1-2 weeks of very intense training, and even with kicking techniques, due to body size issues, probably 4-6 weeks to do it with kicks, depending on complexity.
Only if the only thing you ever want to kick is a motionless target. If you're trying to kick someone who can move and kick back, the complexity escalates just as quickly as it does with grappling arts.

Katherine
Old 11-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan

I enjoyed that blog post, Rusty. Besides teaching in my dojo, I teach at a community college, and the students change dramatically in one semester. Just when they get fun to throw around, they're gone! I don't have time to teach them everything I want to, but I love watching them stand up straighter and gain confidence.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

I think that you're wrong about your grammar.

Greg Jennings
Old 11-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
lifestylemanoz
Dojo: Aikido Kobukai
Australia

Great thoughts. Love the humour Greg.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Nice article. Love the quotes!

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Only if the only thing you ever want to kick is a motionless target. If you're trying to kick someone who can move and kick back, the complexity escalates just as quickly as it does with grappling arts.

Katherine
Nah, I don't think so.

Student padawon learns to throw punches, kicks, whatever the technique is at a non-moving target, sure. Agree with you there. But, simply having the target move, or be actively trying to strike you back isn't the same thing ...

Padawon learned the strikes, now they're just trying to target them. The learning paradigm is different when you go to a grappling art. The entire learning process has exponentially more variations because of the partner's body, structure deltas, and intentions whether trying to blend or defeat.

With a good learning routine of simply getting to practice 4 days a week, a competent striking art instructor can develop a quite proficient student in 5 years or so.

I think we'd all agree that 5 years is simply opening the door to the grappling art (pick the one you want). I think the extra level of complexity in body relationship causes this problem. it's just so hard... well slow would be a better word, to get to the number of reps of the same act to get competent at it.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.