Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #26
kewms
Re: When do you teach your personal style?

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Obviously there will be some issues based on size and I suspect it would be impossible to replicate your Dojo Cho's actions if he is 6'4" and you are 4'4" and you will have to make adjustments. In those cases, explain to your class how you are deviating and why; showing both your Dojo Cho's technique and the one you have adjusted to. Just make it clear which way is the "expected" way and which is a variation you've had to adopt.

In any event, I think you are obligated to teach the Dojo Cho's technique regardless of what rank you are while you are a member of his dojo.
Ultimately, I think this is a question for your Dojo Cho. It is likely that there are some aspects of technique that he considers non-negotiable, and some that are body type and/or personal preference and/or uke-dependent. The only way to find out which is which is to ask.

As a student, one of the advantages of training at a dojo with instructors from different backgrounds is that you *will* see different variations. Depending on how it's handled, this can be either very confusing or very helpful.

In my own classes, I will often say, "Sensei will yell at you if you do it *this* way, and here's why" or "X, Y, and Z all work, I don't care which you do, as long as you incorporate *this* particular body movement that I'm focusing on."

Katherine

Last edited by kewms : 04-08-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Adam Huss

United_States

We take steps to ensure all the dojo in our organization have consistent kihon versions of techniques. We do this via instructors meeting every other month and an instructors seminar once a year.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #28
kewms

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
We take steps to ensure all the dojo in our organization have consistent kihon versions of techniques. We do this via instructors meeting every other month and an instructors seminar once a year.
Which I think is a great idea, but it doesn't really answer the question. One's "personal style" is not going to be kihon, by definition.

I would never teach variations to brand new beginners, unless it was to explain the reason for a particular movement. But a class full of black and brown belts is probably ready to start thinking about how many different versions can still be "ikkyo."

Katherine
Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #29
Adam Huss

United_States

Yeah, I answered the OPs question already. I was responding to a follow-up about kihon vs what the teacher wants taught, vs what a lowly shodan or nidan should teach and to whom.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!