Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-11-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Lightbulb Vote of thanks to Akayama Ryu and Aikiweb

This is a note to say thank you to Sensei Mark Barlow and the Yudansha of Akayama Ryu Jujutsu who visited Trinidad recently and treated our dojo to a fabulous seminar that featured a very interesting mix of Aikido and Jujutsu techniques and applications.

Being a system that owes part of its core techniques to Shodokan and other Tomiki inspired Aikido it was a pleasure to see the Aikido techniques applied in a no-nonsense manner, geared towards self defence. Also interesting was the similarities between some of the Jujutsu applications and typical Shodokan style technique.

Also I would like to thank Jun Akiyama and Aikiweb, without which the linkages and contacts would not have been made to make this seminar possible. Finally I met someone from Aikiweb in the real world .

Hoping to meet again at the Winter Camp in Orange Beach, Alabama.

Arigato Gozaimashita
L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-11-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
akiy

Hi Larry,

Great! Not that I actively helped out or anything, but I'm glad things worked out well for you. It sounds like you had an interesting seminar!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-13-2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Mark Barlow
Dojo: Gulf Coast Martial Arts
Larry,

The pleasure was all mine. You've got a great group of students with strong basics. Visiting your dojo was one of the highlights of the trip for me. Now if we can just get you that Grandmaster recognition....

Mark
Old 11-13-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Vote of thanks to Akayama Ryu and Aikiweb

Quote:
Larry Camejo (L. Camejo) wrote:
<SNIP> Hoping to meet again at the Winter Camp in Orange Beach, Alabama.
Hi Larry,

Keep your eyes open for me at Winter Camp this year and, hopefully, next year.

http://www.capitalcityaikido.com/ : I'm the guy on the left.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 11-14-2003, 06:05 AM   #5
L. Camejo

Canada
Lol, hey Mark, I think that Grandmaster thing has become a running gag now really Though I do think the grade that came my way has trickled back to the "giver of Grandmaster ranks" by now. Trinidad is a small country

Hoping to get the tape of the seminar soon so I can do some practicing.

Greg, I'll be sure to look out for you if and when I get there. It's always great to forge more links as we walk the path.

Interesting thing though Greg, the Aikikai group I trained with in Maryland was called Capital Aikikai. No link to Capital City Aikikai right?

Hope to se you guys in January.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
Old 11-14-2003, 06:20 AM   #6
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Larry Camejo (L. Camejo) wrote:
Greg, I'll be sure to look out for you if and when I get there. It's always great to forge more links as we walk the path.

Interesting thing though Greg, the Aikikai group I trained with in Maryland was called Capital Aikikai. No link to Capital City Aikikai right?
That's good. If you come for Winter Camp 2005, it's possible that I'll be more obvious.

We're not associated with Capital Aikikai. Our instructor emeritus, Ron Myers, trained at Pearl City Aikikai in Hawaii. When he started his own dojo in a 'burb here, it was "Fountain City Aikikai". When we moved to Montgomery, the capital city of Alabama, we changed the name to "Capital City Aikikai".

For the past several years, I've been promoting the change from "Aikikai" to "Aikido" to fall more in line with the names of the dojo in my organization and, frankly, so that the martial arts illiterate can make the connection to what we do.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 11-17-2003, 10:00 AM   #7
Mark Barlow
Speaking of seminars, everyone is more than welcome to join us on the Alabama Gulf Coast in January for a great workout in a relaxed atmosphere. Aikido, Jujitsu, Judo, Kuk Sool Won and Hapkido will be among the arts involved. For more info, please go to:

www.akayamaryu.com/wintercamp2004.htm

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
Mark Barlow
Greg Jennings will be joining us as a guest instructor at the Gulf Coast Martial Arts Camp next month in Orange Beach, Alabama. If anyone would like more information, please go to www.akayamaryu.com/wintercamp2004.htm

Thanks,

Mark Barlow
Old 01-21-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
Mark Barlow
I'd like to thank Greg Jennings of Capital City Aikido and Van Bushnell of USA Martial Arts for their participation as guest instructors at the Gulf Coast Martial Arts Winter Camp this last weekend. We had over 70 students and instructors from 9 states attending and the feedback has been extremely positive.

Mark Barlow

Akayama Ryu Jujutsu
Old 01-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #10
L. Camejo

Canada
Congratulations on the success of your seminar Sensei Barlow. I regret not being able to attend.

Please do let me know if you release any videos on it though. This is something I would love to acquire for reference.

In the meantime, I am planning a major seminar during the summer period here. Please do e-mail or PM me if you are interested in attending.

L.C.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:45 AM   #11
Greg Jennings
United_States
Thank you, Barlow Sensei, for inviting me. I had a great time and picked up some things that I'll be able to introduce into my practice.

I look forward to the next camp.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings