Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: For the basic version of tenchinage, what kind of fall do you think is more appropriate?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 12, 2006:

For the basic version of tenchinage, what kind of fall do you think is more appropriate?
  • I don't do aikido
  • We don't do tenchinage
  • I don't know tenchinage
  • Forward fall/roll
  • Back fall/roll
Here are the current results.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
Mark Gibbons
United_States
Re: Poll: For the basic version of tenchinage, what kind of fall do you think is more appropriate?

I voted for back fall but, I personally will do a forward roll depending on how tired my knees are. The back fall takes up less room on a crowded mat and is easier to teach to beginners.

Mark
Old 02-12-2006, 02:34 AM   #3
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Poll: For the basic version of tenchinage, what kind of fall do you think is more appropriate?

I voted for back fall (koho ukemi). I was never taught any other fall of this technique other than koho ukemi.

Just out of curiosity... how does one do mae ukemi for this throw? I am baffled.

<Boon scratches head in confusion>

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:25 AM   #4
Jerry Miller

United_States
Re: Poll: For the basic version of tenchinage, what kind of fall do you think is more

Aren't we all confused sometimes Boon?

Jerry Miller
Old 02-12-2006, 04:45 AM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

wow! that was the easiest poll yet! The back fall or the forward roll on this technique really put your ego on the line!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
seank
Australia

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Just out of curiosity... how does one do mae ukemi for this throw? I am baffled.
Not sure how everyone else does it but our version of mae ukemi from tenchinage is to look over the shoulder you intend to roll over and turn your body with the throw... a lot of times its neater, but it does take commitment to the roll and a bit more experience.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

The question is, what do you consider a basic tenchi nage. At the beginning I practised tenchi nage with ushiro ukemi, but to allow uke to do this, you have to open the technique befor the throw. With more experienced ukes its mae ukemi, or a forward breakfall.
Basically we refer to this ukemi as a forward-backward roll.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

Backfall or breakfall. When someone forward rolls out of it, I feel like they're cheating out of the technique, although I guess the breakfall is more of a forward breakfall than a backward one.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Whatever is safe.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
Re: Poll: For the basic version of tenchinage, what kind of fall do you think is more

We see a majority of backfalls in our dojo from the kihon type throw. What is interesting, though, is how many newer students ask if their fall should begin/use their inside leg or their outside leg... .
I find that I will often pivot over the outside leg at nominal speed, but if the throw is coming hard & fast I will usually pivot over the right leg, no matter which side the technique is on. sometimes resulting in nage getting a nice whack on the instep if they're not out of the way when I hit the mat - - for which I always apologize.
I encourage new students to try back/side falls over each leg to see which side feels more natural to them.
Like many things on the mat, everyone is a little different as to what will work best for their bodies.

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Whatever you are being thrown into?!

Just the other day I attended a seminar in which the teacher threw uke tenchinage. Uke took a forward roll out of it. Teacher says: "No, don´t do that, take a backwards roll!" He tries again and uke - again - takes a forward roll. He clearly had no other option! The teacher told him off again and I was thinking how stupid that was. Shouldn´t ukemi be something one takes in order to be safe and shouldn´t it be a natural reaction to uke´s balance being broken? Therefore I feel that the type of fall I take is not so much my own choice. Of course if the technique is done softly or done by someone with less experience then I have more choice, and I have seen and done both forward and backwards rolls off it. The same would count for any other technique, I should think.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

if uke can take a forward roll it indicates IMHO that nage is allowing it and thus not completely controlling uke throughout the entire technique... if nage controls the head properly during this throw, then nage should not be able to turn their head for the forward roll...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #13
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

True, uke should not be able to take a forward roll if tenchinage is being done properly, but if uke lets go with the lower hand early on and edges away (not good ukemi IMO), they can usually roll out. Some ukes will go to great lengths to take whatever kind of fall they have in mind before the actual throw.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

I've taken backfalls, backrolls, forward rolls, and breakfalls from tenchinage. I don't think any one is more appropriate than the others. I just do whatever feels right at the moment.

Backfalls are usually best, because they are safer on a crowded mat.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 02-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #15
seank
Australia

Quote:
Amelia Smith wrote:
True, uke should not be able to take a forward roll if tenchinage is being done properly, but if uke lets go with the lower hand early on and edges away (not good ukemi IMO), they can usually roll out.
What about in the instance that nage takes the leading hand very low to the mat, and further behind ukes body than the other hand; in naturally twists uke and puts them very close body-wise to a forward roll.

Not a setup per se, but its not ncessarily poor technique on behalf of nage either...
Old 02-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #16
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Mark Gibbons wrote:
I voted for back fall but, I personally will do a forward roll depending on how tired my knees are. The back fall takes up less room on a crowded mat and is easier to teach to beginners.
Yes, me, too.

But it's not always a matter of choice. Well, done, TN can launch you. With beginners, I do the back roll because they're still fretting over where the foot goes and I wait for their technique to catch up with my attack. More advance players just take your momentum and you fly.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #17
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States

Hi all,

I voted for a back fall because that's what I have been shown, and the majority of ukemi for tenchi nage (basic) at my dojo is just that. However, as I have been learning to keep a better connection I have been tending toward a forward roll or breakfall on tenchinage ura...
I love this stuff... there's always more to learn or another perspective to appreciate!

-Will
Old 02-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #18
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
I voted for back fall (koho ukemi). I was never taught any other fall of this technique other than koho ukemi.

<Boon scratches head in confusion>
I think this has been discussed before in ukemi threads, for I remember explaining somewhere how I do a 'forward' roll backwards and without turning the head. This is not the same as a 'clothesline' ukemi, by the way.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #19
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte

Beginers: universally take backfalls, since the throw takes them backwards, they don't conceive of moving their bodies except to step backwards out of the throw, and its done slowly with them.

Advanced players: whatever is there and is safe. There is a way to do a roll out of this that does not involve turning into the earth hand. Uke simply (ha ha) follows the earth hand downward. He influences his balance break to be toward the earth hand, but doesn't turn into it. He simply (ha ha) executes a forward roll from a backward position. Its really fun to do and very pretty at demos. It also is necessary if someone throws you quickly and with good connection. Its all you really have time to do unless you want to get your head bonked.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #20
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
I think this has been discussed before in ukemi threads, for I remember explaining somewhere how I do a 'forward' roll backwards and without turning the head. This is not the same as a 'clothesline' ukemi, by the way.

Best regards,
Since the thread is about the basic tenchi-nage, please allow me to revisit this basic technique.

Assuming this is from both hand grab (ryote mochi tenchi-nage). Simultaneously move one hand 45 degree outwards, breaking the balance at the knee of uke. The other hand is raised upwards to strike the face of uke. Please note your wrist is resting on top of the uke's wrist (uke's wrist should be shielding his face from your strike). This also prevent uke's holding arm from letting go. This raised arm is also intended as a strike to further cause kuzushi.

A good outcome, you should get uke resting his weight entirely on one leg and the other leg is at tip toe. At this moment in time, uke is probably arched backwards, with his head behind his center of gravity. The proceed with tsugi ashi (sliding) movement at a 45 degree angle across his arched back. Please note, as you slide, your hip is connected to the hip of uke.

Using the power of your tsugi ashi movement plus hip power throw uke. For the Yoshinkan people, the movement is similar to our Shumatsu dosa ichi (1) movement.

I hope my description is vivid enough for all readers to form a mental picture. My question is such that with uke broken balance this way, I just cannot fathom any other method of ukemi other than back fall.

Yours truly,
Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:27 AM   #21
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I share Boon's difficulty.

After the initial two handed kuzushi there is a definite attacking the body component to the throw. Very little room for uke to turn and throw themselves into any sort of forward role at least during the contact phase.

Pretty hard to follow the earth hand down when there is a body inconveniently in the way.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-13-2006, 01:01 AM   #22
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

backfall, not backroll. More "breakfall-like"

For some of the ki no nagare versions a forward breakfall comes quite naturally though.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:12 AM   #23
PeterR

Japan

Backroll has its problems too. Tori is moving forward quite rapidly and will pretty much be on top of you the whole time. A backroll puts you in a much weaker position for a good chunk of time. Best have a pair of legs between you and nage than an exposed back.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:44 AM   #24
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Reading Boon's post and Peter Rehse's post leads me to wonder whether Yoshinkan or Shodokan teach the 'backward' mae-ukemi. I learned it from Minoru Kanetsuka Sensei, who has a Yoshinkan background, before I came to Japan.

For Iwama people, the ukemi I have in mind used to be done brilliantly by Bruce Klickstein and I think it is still done brilliantly by Pat Hendricks. In one of Saito Sensei's last appearances at the All-Japan demonstration in May, Pat was Saito Sensei's uchi-tachi and did precisely the ukemi I am thinking of, while holding a bokken with both hands. (NB. As with the 'clothesline' ukemi, the secret is in the feet!).

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 AM   #25
PeterR

Japan

Hi Peter;

Several of our kata require a backward mae ukemi. Within the junanahon sumiotoshi comes to mind; withing the koryu goshin no kata there is a tachi dori tenkai kotegaishi (shihonage) which requires it. I think Yoshinkan's kihon shihonage requires it. Of course I could be misunderstanding what you are referring to but my question seems to revolve more around how tenchi-nage is performed rather than the ukemi itself.

Last edited by PeterR : 02-13-2006 at 04:14 AM.