Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-09-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
Jeff Haynes
United_States
Question The Dojo Seed-The big question.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. My work and my family situation pose a problem as far as getting to the nearest dojo for practice. They are all more than 25 miles away; I have researched this many times hoping to find one that I missed each time I look.
I want to devote a decent amount of time to Aikido, but it becomes difficult when it's mostly travel time. In the past I would not have minded so much. But now I have 5 children and being a paramedic (my wife also) mt schedule is...odd.
Some time ago a 2nd dan suggested something to me that I only recently remembered, and I wanted to get the input of others on the forum to help me figure out whether to move forward or not.
She suggested that, even though I was of no significant rank, that I could establish a dojo and have a teacher come and teach when ever they could. If this is plausible it would help me follow my dream of Aikido.
So...lay it on me. What do you think? I am looking forward to your replies. Thank you.

Last edited by Jeff Haynes : 06-09-2004 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
Re: The Dojo Seed-The big question.

Interesting idea actually. Didn't O'Sensei do something like that by building a dojo on his property and sponsoring his sensei?

By the way, what part of Central Florida are you in? I used to live in Leesburg.

Best luck to you.

Kev.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
fullerfury
Dojo: North County Aikikai
United_States

Hi Jeff... I was in a similiar situation as yourself... the wife and 5 kids with the dojo being 40 minutes away - having to balance training and family commitments, etc... I opted to build my own dojo with the theory of "if you build it they will come". I have been very lucky and have established a small yet tight nit group of serious aikidoka. I recognize that not everyone can afford to build their own school. I have found that it has brought balance back to my life... I am not spending too much time away from the family to commute to and from and train in Aikido, plus how many kids get to grow up with a dojo attached to their home? I now get to train 6 days a week and see my family too!

Good luck...

-Garrett
Old 06-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
AsimHanif

Hi Jeff. That's exactly what I did. I was in the same situation. I wanted to spend more time on enjoying life and attaining balance. That meant family, close friends, and training.
My Shihan is 3 hours away. The nearest affiliate dojo is 2 hours away. Mulitply that by two (round trip) and average 3-4 times a week and you can see time and travel was getting very costly- but I felt I needed to make that effort to show my Shihan how committed I was. I had in the back of my head that I would start a club much like they did (and do) in Japan with the University clubs. The opportunity came faster than I expected and now I start my club July 2. I set up the schedule so I would have enough time for family and training with Shihan. Actually the club schedule really is a working persons schedule with early morning and late evening classes. Now I commit to training with Shihan at least once a month but in actuality I will see him or go to the other dojo 2-3 times a month.
The major factor for me to accomplish this was to have support from Shihan. He is confident in my commitment and my competence to transmit his teachings.
I can also say that before aikido I had a karate dojo in NYC. I feel I made my most significant strides at that time because I could spend more time in the dojo addressing my own needs as well as the needs of others. My wife and children became part of the dojo as well as my whole extended family and friends.
Best.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:47 AM   #5
Tom Walsh
Dojo: Aikido of Volusia

Hi Jeff,I run a small dojo in New Smyrna Beach under Robert Kubo Shihan (Aikido of Hawaii International), I think I may be able to help with your request. Email me at twaikido@hotmail.com
Old 06-11-2004, 10:34 PM   #6
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Jeff,

Some people put together what they call research groups, as opposed to starting a dojo. That is, there is no hierarchy. If you could find some like minded friends, I`d recommend doing that. That way you wouldn`t have to worry about getting students, paying rent, insurance, etc.

Charles Hill
Old 06-12-2004, 01:15 AM   #7
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Question Re: The Dojo Seed-The big question.

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
Jeff,

Some people put together what they call research groups, as opposed to starting a dojo. That is, there is no hierarchy. If you could find some like minded friends, I`d recommend doing that. That way you wouldn`t have to worry about getting students, paying rent, insurance, etc.

Charles Hill
Could you elaborate on that? Is this more like a private group training together? Why wouldn't you need to worry about students, rent, insurance, etc.?

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 06-13-2004, 03:41 AM   #8
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
Could you elaborate on that? Is this more like a private group training together?
Yes, I think it is exactly like a private group training together. To me, starting a dojo is a big deal with the potential instructor deciding to take a big responsibility. If an individual`s rank or years of experience is low, I think that starting a dojo could really interfer with their own progress. If Jeff had some like-minded friends, they could all visit a dojo on a regular (monthly) basis. They then could get together a few times a week at a park, in a backyard, in someone`s basement to work on the things that were shown.

I think there is a lot of danger in the idea of actively looking for students. I remember years ago in an article in ATM, Chicago Aikikai`s Kevin Choate said something like becoming a sensei is something that one should reluctantly do. I thought that that was kind of strange, that it would be cool to have one`s own dojo. I realize now that such an attitude is exactly that to be avoided. By not calling it a dojo and by not opening it up to others, I think that Jeff could avoid a lot of trouble.

Charles Hill
Old 06-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #9
arachnoJill
Dojo: Mushin dojo
United_States

Where in Central Florida do you live??