Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Gary David

United_States
Dan Harden Workshop Nov 6 & 7 Santa Ana, CA

Event:
" Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido"
Date: November 6th & 7th
Santa Ana, CA

This work shop is a continuation of the workshops already taking place at Dan's Dojo with advance level aikido students and teachers from all over the United States. Dan is making his research into the Japanese arts and the resultant training practices of his private dojo available on a national level. The goal is to offer a workshop in a neutral environment, with an emphasis on learning and understanding internal power and aiki as a basis for martial movement in a global sense, while undertaking the difficult task of taking that first step into personal training and integration of the concepts into your own art.

The work shop will cover introductory basics of the system Dan has developed and taught successfully to hundreds of students and teachers from a wide range of martial arts. Dan will outline the training in such a way as to make the relevancy to martial movement immediate, clear and accessible. Included will be:

• A presentation of how the martial arts take advantage of natural and common postural failures and methods for building a martial body that moves antithetical to the principles most martial arts use as their foundation for defeating the common body frame.

• How the trained body can begin to take care of itself automatically in a live environment.

• An emphasis on specific training tools (solo and paired) to develop internal power, and specifically how it relates to aiki connections in a martial context.

• Creating and maintaining a structure supported on all sides and how to strengthen it with breath training exercises.

The material covered; while benefiting aikido greatly will not be "specific" to just the aiki arts like Aikido and Daito ryu, but any grappling or striking art, so teachers from other disciplines are welcome.

Dress will be sweats or shorts and T-shirts. No Gis, No budo affiliated T-shirts please. This will be very informal, and casual, but I strongly urge you to bring a notebook.

This will be a closed workshop with no pictures, video, or visitors allowed. Participants are required to fill out an application (available by e-mailing Dan @ homeoffice@charter.net ) for further details and to be considered for a spot. People may or may not be accepted by Dan's sole discretion.

Workshop fees are $175.00 for both days, $100.00 for one day on Saturday with no Sunday only training. Fees must be paid in full with your registration.

The schedule:
Saturday 9 AM to 6 PM with a 2 hour break for lunch
Sunday 9 AM, Lunch, until.....with consideration for flights, travel, and condition of the participants.

Please do not direct questions or requests for attendance to Orange County Aiki Kai, which is being gracious with the use of their space while not directly involved in the workshop.

Thanks..see you there.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Dan Harden Workshop Nov 6 & 7 Santa Ana, CA

Gary....Wow! thanks for setting this up. And Thanks Dan for coming out to the left coast! I will definitely be there if invited!

William Hazen.

Last edited by Aikibu : 09-17-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
MM
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Gary....Wow! thanks for setting this up. And Thanks Dan for coming out to the left coast! I will definitely be there if invited!

William Hazen.
You're more than welcome to attend, IMO. Just send Dan an email.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
MM
United_States

Workshop is nearly full. If you're undecided, better make up your mind fast.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Workshop is nearly full. If you're undecided, better make up your mind fast.
I sent Dan an email over a week ago and I am just waiting to hear back from him.

William Hazen
Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
MM
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
I sent Dan an email over a week ago and I am just waiting to hear back from him.

William Hazen
He got it. You're on the list. He was out of town from last week up through today.

Mark
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
wka
Dojo: Los Angeles

Same question, sent an email a few days ago but no response. Perhaps I didn't include enough background information or I have the wrong email address. Should I try sending a PM?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
He got it. You're on the list. He was out of town from last week up through today.

Mark
AWESOME! Yoshida Sensei is here from Japan for our annual West Coast Seminar this weekend and I wish he could have waited a month or so and seen Dan too.

William Hazen
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #9
MM
United_States

Quote:
Wil Allen wrote: View Post
Same question, sent an email a few days ago but no response. Perhaps I didn't include enough background information or I have the wrong email address. Should I try sending a PM?
Hello,
Email is good. I wouldn't send a PM. As I understand it, there's a flood of emails. If you've sent an email to homeoffice@charter.net, then that should get to Dan. Sending background info on yourself is a good idea. If you think the first email might not have reached him for some unexplained reason, send a second. But don't send multiples after that.

Mark
Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
MM
United_States

Dan is back from being out of state. He said he will send out replies by Friday. (Unless work, family, etc intervene. Everyone knows how that goes.) There are only one or two spots left.

IMO:
If you've been to a Sigman workshop and it seemed familiar, then I would highly encourage you to attend Dan's workshop because Daito ryu aiki is different (I'm NOT saying it's better or worse, just different). How? Go to the workshop and not only feel/experience it, but get answers.

Mark
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
wka
Dojo: Los Angeles

Thanks Mark. Talked to Dan and sent some additional info on my background.

Last edited by wka : 09-23-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: not finished
Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
MM
United_States

All applications have been sent out. If you did not receive one, please email Dan and let him know.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
SeiserL

United_States

Oh man,
I used to live in the OC and often attended seminars at the OC Aikikai. Good people. Highly recommend.
Sorry I'll miss it.
Ever get to the ATL (GA)?

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Oh man,
I used to live in the OC and often attended seminars at the OC Aikikai. Good people. Highly recommend.
Sorry I'll miss it.
Ever get to the ATL (GA)?
Lynn,

We're supposed to be on his fall/winter schedule. I hope it happens.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

Hello Mark,
Quote:
IMO:
If you've been to a Sigman workshop and it seemed familiar, then I would highly encourage you to attend Dan's workshop because Daito ryu aiki is different (I'm NOT saying it's better or worse, just different). How? Go to the workshop and not only feel/experience it, but get answers.
Because you brought it up, apparently to encourage people to ask Dan's permission to attend this workshop (and because you've seen Mike Sigman), please describe how Dan and Mike differ, and how Daito Ryu aiki is different from what you believe that Mike does.

Also, are you saying that Dan is demonstrating and teaching Daito Ryu aiki? If so, how does his Daito Ryu aiki differ from other Daito Ryu approaches (for example, that of Okamoto-sensei)?

I look forward to your reply.

Jim

I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity. Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
MM
United_States

As I said, if you have attended Mike's workshops, then I would suggest going to Dan's. Jim, you should go. I think you'd absolutely love this stuff. For everyone else, I highly recommend attending Mike's, Dan's, and Ark's workshops. The similarity and difference can be experienced firsthand. Not saying good or bad but I've found differences. Everyone will. IMO, that's something best experienced directly.

It's smart to keep an open mind and not prejudge.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #17
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Quote:
As I said, if you have attended Mike's workshops, then I would suggest going to Dan's. Jim, you should go. I think you'd absolutely love this stuff. For everyone else, I highly recommend attending Mike's, Dan's, and Ark's workshops. The similarity and difference can be experienced firsthand. Not saying good or bad but I've found differences. Everyone will. IMO, that's something best experienced directly.
Mark, have you ever trained under Mike Sigman? If not, please qualify your statement above.

Are you going to answer Jim's question?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 AM   #18
MM
United_States

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
Mark, have you ever trained under Mike Sigman? If not, please qualify your statement above.

Are you going to answer Jim's question?
Let me reiterate with a bit of edit,

As I said, if you have attended Mike's workshops, then I would suggest going to Dan's. Mickey, you should go. I think you'd absolutely love this stuff. For everyone else, I highly recommend attending Mike's, Dan's, and Ark's workshops. The similarity and difference can be experienced firsthand. Not saying good or bad but I've found differences. Everyone will. IMO, that's something best experienced directly.

It's smart to keep an open mind and not prejudge.

To the general public:
For all those who haven't been following the long years of Internet discussions back and forth over internal skills/internal power (IS/IP), there are hundreds of pages of Internet posts regarding this subject. None of it has come close to direct first hand experience. Did I find differences? Yes. Will you? Wouldn't it be worth the chance to find out? As I stated above to Mickey, "I highly recommend attending Mike's, Dan's, and Ark's workshops." Not either/or, not just one, but get out and get some experience with them all. Talk to people who have attended them. If you've been smart and kept an open mind, I'm sure people will be open to discussion about it. In the end, though, first hand experience really is the only answer.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #19
statisticool
United_States

Please let us know if there will be video posted from it. Or from those who learned at a seminar and recorded themselves afterward using those skills.

Thanks,

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #20
MM
United_States

Quote:
Justin Smith wrote: View Post
Please let us know if there will be video posted from it. Or from those who learned at a seminar and recorded themselves afterward using those skills.

Thanks,

Justin
No video at workshops.

Search for Bill Gleason vids. There is at least one out there somewhere.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #21
MM
United_States

To clarify ... these are my *personal* opinions. Please don't associate them with Dan Harden. As Dan has posted, he doesn't teach an organized system, he does MMA. My personal opinion and that of others is that what we have felt/experienced is Daito ryu aiki.

If you are interested in an organized Daito ryu approach, I would highly recommend contacting Howard Popkin of the Roppokai. Great teacher, great person, skilled, open, generous, and well worth knowing.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #22
MM
United_States

The application sent out exceeded the expectations. The seminar is full. Thank you for your time and interest.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #23
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Mark, good point....

Some years ago, both Mike and Dan (plus many „followers") were on my ignore list. Then I got hooked on the aiki debates, and followed them closely. Finally, I decided that apparently there was something - either worth finding out, or worth laying to rest for good. So I went to see both of them. It was a great experience. It was worth finding out -- for me.

Did I understand fully what they do? Of course not. Are there differences in what I saw -- of course. Similarities? I venture to say, yes. Did I like some stuff more than other stuff? Sure, anything else would be surprising. Do I know them well? Not at all, I was just a seminar participant.

Most of all, I found both Dan and Mike, when I experienced them as teachers, made an impression on me that was quite different from their internet persona. Much like I probably would myself, or anybody else.

I really regret that I did not make up my mind to go and see a lot earlier. I wasted time reading a lot of writing here on aikiweb that appears in a totally new light when things are experienced first hand. And I delayed meeting two teachers who can be experienced first hand, while siding in my reader's mind with all sorts of speculative opinions and judgements, and opinions and judgements about opinions and judgements, here on aikiweb. What a waste of time.

I still dont get why people who are neither Dan nor Mike themselves need to turn this into some type of pro/con sniping. For me, what they do is neither salvation nor the devil, just incredibly interesting ways to train. And I did not get the impression any of them wanted people to think otherwise.

So if you read all that stuff.... just go and see, its more interesting.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #24
thisisnotreal

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
.. a lot of writing here on aikiweb that appears in a totally new light when things are experienced first hand. ...

So if you read all that stuff.... just go and see, its more interesting.
Agreed. Good post Nicholas.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
akiy

The line of discussion of Jim's questions regarding Dan has been moved here.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!