Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-10-2004, 09:50 AM   #26
akiy

Re: Know-It-All 1st Kyu Won't Listen

Hmm...

Does it really have to be a case of one-upsmanship of giving the problematic person a "thrashing" and to "beat him up"? Personally, I wouldn't care to condone nor nurture that kind of aggressive behavior in myself nor where I practice.

I'd concentrate more on my own training than get caught up in someone else's...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #27
Michael Neal

I was just kidding when I said beat him up. You see in Judo this kind of attitude does not last long because everyone gets beat up during randori. So when I say "beat him up" all I mean is give him some harder than usual practice to knock him out of his comfort zone.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #28
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Bullies dont respect anything but force.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #29
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I suppose you could always bow out to the person and respectfully refuse to train with them, they might get the message that way but if not then they might go onto purposefully hurt someone else in the dojo...
Old 06-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #30
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
I was just kidding when I said beat him up. You see in Judo this kind of attitude does not last long because everyone gets beat up during randori. So when I say "beat him up" all I mean is give him some harder than usual practice to knock him out of his comfort zone.
Randori is a great leveler isn't it? Has a habit of destroying egos.

In a kata only context the problem isn't that the bully should not be taken care of by some chastisement but who should administrate it. A junior person taking it upon themselves will only generate a very uncomfortable position for all concerned.

Michael - I figured you were kidding but a) I ran out of coffee and b) on the heels of another like minded post I felt that some who didn't know better would have taken the advise to heart. Always a danger on the forums.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-10-2004, 06:30 PM   #31
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Bullies dont respect anything but force.
If you respond by trying to beat him up, he'll just respond with more force, and probably hurt you.
If you have Yudansha alone work with him, he'll learn that, if he beats up the Kyu ranks, he gets to work with the Yudansha, (which may be what he wants. We had someone who acted out for that reason).
The only thing some people respect is an ultimatum from the teachers. (Do that again and you're out.)

Jeanne
Old 06-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #32
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

I've found instead of trying to one up the person to start being more fluid and soft in your ukemi helps a lot. It will keep the "one-up-manship" from kicking in. This for me really is the opposite of someone resisting with force rather you relax and go wherever nage leads you. Of course, you don't give up your center until the nage figures out to take your balance. Also being softer in your ukemi helps you to recieve rougher throws from the nage. So its also a method of self-preservation.

You can talk to the person, too, you know. Just ask them why are they doing that. There is one nidan in my dojo who will start to resist, tighten and lock up. It appears for no reason or that he may be challenging you, but he is actually trying to point something out. I think he's used to the "you don't say anything while you train" boat. Instead of interpreting this as him being jerk I just ask him, "what are you trying to show me." He tells me, and voila! I actually learned something constructive. If I don't speak up, then I lose because I don't learn anything.

Anne Marie Giri