Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-10-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
drDalek

Techniques work better with tracking!

I used to do shomenuchi ikkyo by moving in when uke lifts their arm to strike, putting my hands against their elbow and forearm and cutting down. Last night I asked my uke to try and "track" me, so if he sees me moving, strike where I move. I moved 45 degrees in as opposed to relatively straight and things just clicked, by tracking me, uke was breaking his own posture and making my job a lot easier!

I am going to experiment with this on some other attack / technique combinations, anyone else have any hints or tips for me?

Now if only I can figure out how to use an uke's tension and resistance against him, there is a school of thought that states that if uke disengages, strike atemi to any available opening, same if uke goes rigid and resists, any ideas for alternatives to this would be appreciated. I get back what I give and the whole "do unto others..." thing makes sense training with a good striker.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:19 AM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: Techniques work better with tracking!

were you moving 45 degrees outwards? and during that time, did your center face away from uke?
or did you do 45 degrees outwards and then coming back in when going for ikkyo?

just curious...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
drDalek

Quote:
ahmad abas wrote:
were you moving 45 degrees outwards? and during that time, did your center face away from uke?
or did you do 45 degrees outwards and then coming back in when going for ikkyo?

just curious...
Think of the arc of a quarter circle, always facing uke, then cutting down and turning hips out and forward to drive uke's shoulder towards the mat and then sinking down to apply the pin.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:30 AM   #4
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Try to work some techniques from a thrusting attack like mune tsuki, or better yet with rubber tanto with tracking added. Don't let Uke do the typical telegraphed tsuki, but a sharp one utilising tsugi ashi and strong entering.

Being a straight line attack it tends to close the gap really quickly with strong footwork. Nice challenge to try techniques from. There is also less possibility of Uke off balancing himself by sinking his stance a bit at the end of the strike. Try ikkyo and others from here and see what happens.

Just my 2 cents.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 06-10-2004, 08:32 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Nice observation. IMHO, when people track or follow you, especially if you time your off line correctly, they tend to move only the upper body and not the legs with forward momentum, thus they lose balance. But, if you leave too soon, they track you down and are able to adjust and hit you anyway.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I think this is especially important in Randori - if you run around too fast uke just watches where you are running to and strikes the spot you will move to. There has to be simultaneuous movement. That is why I think Ueshiba said to receive 90% of the attack, i.e, they have to believe they are going to hit you.

Ian