Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-08-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey
Dead getting injured while training

Last week, a guy came to me and asked if we could train together at the dojo. He is new at our dojo and has being practicing aikido for several years (I have been training about for one year). While training, he tried to perform the techniques with it's every detail and correctness. I felt a little pain when he was doing the techniques, and he let me to try the techniques on him in the same way. After the training I felt quite happy because the first time I felt the real power of the application of aikido. Until the day, we trained like "dancing" (6-5-4 Kyu aikidoka's does so)…In fact, when our sensei (or the other aikidoka's with higher Kyu than 3) showed me a technique, I felt the same power. Therefore, after the training I thought that "if we get higher Kyu degrees, the application of the techniques becomes more powerful" (certainly)…the problem is, my arm become bruised (after several yonkyo's), and there is a little wound on my foot (probably occurred while suwari waza)…I would like to know if it is normal? It is the first time that my arm becomes bruised after aikido training. Do you also get sometimes injured after trainings?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:46 AM   #2
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: getting injured while training

Dear Bulent,

Bruise and sore are part and parcel of training. I get it most of the time. My sole is toughen up by thick callous because of the sliding movement aikidoka use in their movement. Aikido is still better than other contact martial art because the pain is, thank god, superficial and it does not have lasting injury, if done properly. The good side of it is, it toughen the body and makes our body less prone to injury.

I have done aikido for 9 years and I can tell you that, the normal reaction of our body when someone is applying an aikido technique is to resist and harden; don't. That will only make your injury worse. Relax and go with the flow. Practice your breakfalls to minimize ukemi injury. Once your breakfalls are good than you can take more advance/robust techniques and you progress in your learning.

The good thing about this is Aikido training pain is not permenant, it will go away.

Happy training Bulent,
Boon
Old 06-08-2004, 03:14 AM   #3
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I've been training for about 12 years now, after a recent trip to Japan I came home with a couple of lovely yonkyo souvenirs on my forearms that lasted for nearly two weeks after .

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 06-08-2004, 05:49 AM   #4
graham butt

A woman in our dojo bruises a lot, so much in fact when people in work see her they think her husband is hitting her. Fortunately they all understand that the bruises were from training.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States

I think I walk around with constant bruises from Yonkyo.... Either that or small bruises on the back of my hands from Kotegaeshi.... I also get 'mat fire' on the tops of my feet every once in awhile.... I think it all just comes with the territory.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:53 AM   #6
Falafel

United_States

My feet and ankle's get scraped up quite a bit when I train. I just want to recommend that you wrap them before they start bleeding.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:55 AM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Bülent Koçak wrote:
....the problem is, my arm become bruised (after several yonkyo's), and there is a little wound on my foot (probably occurred while suwari waza)…I would like to know if it is normal? It is the first time that my arm becomes bruised after aikido training. Do you also get sometimes injured after trainings?
Normal.

What other posters haven't mentioned is that bruises are the chief stuff of conditioning. With regular conditioning, bruising will subside...but this took years in my case. Also, your tolerance for pain will increase.

Ganbatte! (Train hard!)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

During the time early in training when I still bruised a lot, I found that using arnica gel twice daily would help the bruising resolve a lot faster (probably by about a third)/

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-08-2004, 07:37 PM   #9
gilsinnj

Dojo: Aikido Mt. Airy
United_States

I'm glad to hear that other Aikidoka practice hard enough to get bruised.

I find that I I still get bruised while working with new students because they have a tendency to grab your skin instead of using good ki grip or leading in their techniques.

Being hurt is different than being injured, though. Juswt because you've got a few bumps, bruises, and brush burns doesn't mean you are injured. Injuries usually require healing time and can keep you from practicing for extended periods of time. Those should be minimized as much as possible, but are unavoidable in a contact martial art like Aikido.