Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
kewms
Re: what would you do?

Quote:
Shawn Carey wrote: View Post
A beginner's definition of a serious attack is very different than a shodan's definition. This is probably a good learning opportunity for both of you.
Depends on the beginner... and the shodan.

Katherine
Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
Krystal Locke
United_States

How about connecting the questioner up with the head of the dojo?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Depends on the beginner... and the shodan.

Katherine
Well, whatever happens someone is going to learn something.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #29
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
David Santana wrote: View Post
I'm sure that my Aikido works (thanks to Sensei for teaching me well) so I was thinking of letting them attack me seriously, but I'm also afraid that they'll get hurt and it will become a big trouble for me.
Remember, pain is different than injury.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
kewms

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
In this scenario, I suppose it would be, "a very strong guy who has a very strong grip and an invisible force field around himself that allows him to grab onto someone else and simply stand there without anything happening to him." Ultimately, any of these "does it REALLY work" questions can be answered with the circus ponies: if the questioner has the right to set up an absurd proposition as the premise for the question, why should the respondent not have the same leeway?
It only works if the questioner agrees that the premise is absurd. Pull out the circus ponies in response to a scenario that the questioner thinks is plausible, and you and your art instantly lose all credibility.

In the case of the very strong guy with the very strong grip, my response would be to demonstrate that he *doesn't* have an invisible force field, and so there are any number of circus pony-free ways to deal with him.

When someone walks into the dojo, you don't know their history. They could be an abused spouse. They could be a former ghetto kid who used to get into street fights. They might have absolutely no experience with real violence, or quite a lot. Treat their questions with respect, and maybe they'll stick around long enough for you to learn from each other.

Katherine
Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #31
SeiserL

United_States

Common comment.

IMHO, talk with your Sensei and in the Teaching Committee and establish a Dojo response.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

Ha, to think something like this would come back to me in such a way...

I was one of those students who asked the shodan who ran my very first class this, although I had no trouble believing about Aikido's effectiveness before then. I genuinely wanted to know how the strengthless techniques worked. What he showed me was a few simple movements like shihonage that didn't grab the hand but instead used a flowing movement to send the arm flying backwards. Another one he showed me was a simple kokyunage from munemochi (chest grab), where he cross stepped back and used the shift-turn-down movement to throw me into a koho ukemi.

Simple techniques that doesn't require much strength, and they can try quickly without too much training, and of course very practical can do the trick for you. The important thing is that it must end in koho ukemi, since that is the easiest ukemi to learn.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
Janet L.
Dojo: Obiji Ki-Aikido, Lawrence, KS
United_States

Periolically, my sensei, when demonstrating a technique says, "Now really resist!" And it's usually me he is asking to resist ('cause at 5'11 & 160 lb. I'm the usually biggest student in the lower level class of our small dojo.)

Enevitibly, the harder I resist, the harder I fall, the worse it hurts, etc.

At that, I'm sure Sensei is still holding back, 'cause my ukemi isn't THAT good yet. . . Of course Sensei is not only a yondan, but is also in by far the best physical condition of any 67 year old I know. . .
Old 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
RuteMendes
Dojo: Dramático de Cascais
Portugal

Ahaha xD

Well... If I was you (don't trust me, I'm just a 6hkyu begginer), I would tell him that that conclusion was up to him!
Aikido works! I've seen (and felt ahah) that it really doesn't take strenght, it takes energy! Don't hurt him, that might lead to two opposite reactions:
1- Woooww it really works! Teach me, master! ahah
2- I'm getting outta here!

Let him find out by himself!

Peace!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #35
aikidoka81

Singapore

Quote:
I'm very recently appointed as the teacher for one of the classes in my dojo (a mere shodan) . and some of the new students told me that they're not very sure that Aikido really works without too much strength.. what would you do if you were told that?

I'm sure that my Aikido works (thanks to Sensei for teaching me well) so I was thinking of letting them attack me seriously, but I'm also afraid that they'll get hurt and it will become a big trouble for me.
Just tell them that Aikido techniques doesn't require much strength to apply

Not a good idea to let them attack you seriously. You might accidentally hurt them. Just show it to them slowly and gently.

Aikido The Gentle Martial Art http://www.squidoo.com/aikido3
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #36
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States

Quote:
I'm very recently appointed as the teacher for one of the classes in my dojo (a mere shodan) . and some of the new students told me that they're not very sure that Aikido really works without too much strength.. what would you do if you were told that?

I do not think you should ever refer to yourself as a mere Shodan. You earned that designation with hard work. The best advice is to show them it works with little to no effort. Teaching them a steady fluid like motion is the key. Speed is an after effect, much like strength. I personally prefer someone to commit with me with what they have because, I feel it is more of a realistic situation. I think it is our job to work carefully with new students. Sounds like you have it under control, I also think you should know in advance where they are with their ukemi. I am just a mere Ikkyu, what do I know?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #37
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia

Quote:
some of the new students told me that they're not very sure that Aikido really works without too much strength.. what would you do if you were told that?
When I go rockclimbing I get the best feedback for how effective my technique is after my arms are too tired to do all the work.

What about trying it with aikido? Get them to do a whole heap of pushups until they've got noodles for arms. Then tell them to deflect an attack.

The world changes when you do.