Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
tenshin_uke

Dojo: Three Rivers Aikido
United_States
Tips for testing?

This coming weekend I will be testing for my next rank. I've been trying to stay healthy and keep my energy up. Does anyone have any advice on what to eat, what not to eat, to maximize my energy?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Mark
Old 03-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Tips for testing?

Quote:
Mark Harris wrote:
This coming weekend I will be testing for my next rank. I've been trying to stay healthy and keep my energy up. Does anyone have any advice on what to eat, what not to eat, to maximize my energy?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Mark
If you haven't already set up training and eating patterns, this is not the time to change them. It takes time for your system to adjust to such changes.

What normally works for you to get your energy levels up?

Tarik

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 03-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
tenshin_uke

Dojo: Three Rivers Aikido
United_States

I have been training for almost one year now, but there are times where I feel like my energy is just not 'up'. Last year I modified my eating and in the past 8 months i've lost about 50 pounds. I train at least three times a week, but I'm afraid that I feel like I'm getting a little worn down. I'm just looking for tips on things that I can eat or definitely stay away from so i can have the most energy.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
tarik

United_States

Quote:
Mark Harris wrote:
I have been training for almost one year now, but there are times where I feel like my energy is just not 'up'. Last year I modified my eating and in the past 8 months i've lost about 50 pounds. I train at least three times a week, but I'm afraid that I feel like I'm getting a little worn down. I'm just looking for tips on things that I can eat or definitely stay away from so i can have the most energy.
What you describe sounds very similar to what I experienced in my first few years on the mat, including the losing 50+ pounds.

You may be over-training a bit if you're training every day or nearly every day. Try taking a couple days off before your exam and getting lots of sleep. Rest is just as important as the exercise.

As to food, I cannot give great advice since I am an iconoclast and eat whatever I want. My take is that there isn't an unprocessed food that is bad for you as long as you eat the appropriate amount.

If you've been paying attention enough to your diet and training to lose 50 pounds in 8 months, you already have an idea how you feel after over-eating or eatng certain foods. Avoid those that made you feel lethargic or cause a longer recovery period.

There ARE some general rules, but each person is slightly different that way, as I can eat things that destroy other people's energy levels and vice versa.

Tarik Ghbeish

Old 03-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
tarik

United_States

Ok, let me just add...

Eat more protein and cut down in carbs the few days before your exam. Don't eliminate anything, just change your emphasis.

Sleep is still more important than exactly what you ate.

Tarik Ghbeish

Old 03-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

my advice is, the day before, spend the day before doing whatever you want, except training, then, on the day ask a few of yur fellow aikidoka to let you throw them about a bit. you might find it interesting to go throughthe basics with the newest person in your class as you will have to do it right and controled to aviod hurting them.

As for the food bit, i have no idea

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 03-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, eat normally. Any drastic changes in your diet, good or bad, may be upsetting to the system.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I like a bacon sandwhich and coffee. But thats possibly not very sensible...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

The best test-prep I ever did:

I was taking ukemi for some rank beginners, and getting a bit tired of the technique, so I thought "I am just going to work on my breathing, and make *sure* I breathe at the appropriate points." After a solid hour it was getting somewhat more automatic.

Next day sensei surprised me with my third kyu test, and I was only winded whereas my much younger rankmate was gasping. I highly recommend this exercise--taking ukemi from an easy, soft throw, over and over, and just monitoring and correcting your own breathing pattern.

Mary Kaye