Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #26
sisley
Dojo: Mushinkan
Japan
Re: Do I need Japanese to practice in Japan?

Nice post, Brandon. I think you expressed more clearly what I had hoped to convey. Not only can it be difficult to understand what sensei or others are trying to explain to you, but I also found myself struggling to express what was in my mind. Even though I wasn't a beginner at Aikido or Japanese language when I came here, I still had difficulty explaining my thoughts or reasoning to my training partners. Little by little, I have picked up some of the terms in Japanese that I need to know, and, little by little, they listen to my slaughtering of their language to understand what I hope to say. This frustration, I think, would be very hard to overcome if you're a beginner.

But every place is different. I have heard stories about training at Tokyo Hombu dojo that would make think it wouldn't be the best place to begin your study. Look around and find a place that suits you, where you can get the attention that you deserve and require.

Study Japanese and practice Aikido. Make that effort. And in the end, you'll have both!

Jim
Old 05-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #27
Grant JB
Japan

Thanks Jim. Thanks too for the link to http://www.tozandoshop.com/. I fancy checking that store out. I notice we are spoilt for choice with different Aikido Gi Jackets http://www.tozandoshop.com/category_s/34.htm.
(I would consider any of those I guess apart from the 1st one and the ninth one which are too pricey for my feebleness at this stage. The ones that soak up sweat and blood and self-deodorize sound ideal. Not sure what you folks would choose..
Oisin - I agree that it is a two way street too - as are many things that require interaction I suppose..
Cheers Carl for the Address and info for Iwata. I can relate to the fact that feeling part of the community on some occasions (so far) can be quite rewarding..hopefully more so in time..
Thanks Brandon for your perspective too. I appreciate it isn't always perfect to start off with, hence the comments about keep moving on until we find a suitable school. I once had a thumb in the eye experience that made me unable to see (out of one eye) for about 15 minutes at the school in the states. I always wondered if the black belt had honestly accidently injured me or simply didn't want me at the dojo at the time..quite a laughable issue after the matter - but it did make me question the school choice at the time.. hence my philosophy near the beginning of this thread where maybe staying quiet and just doing aikido is the better option. (unless you have plenty of eyes to spare of course).
Now back to the Gi's...decisions decisions..
Cheers all.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #28
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

http://www.iwamaaikido.com/en/02.html Under a message for the new year H. Saito writes that he encourages foreign students to learn japanse even if they dont train in Japan.

Quote:
"www.iwamaaikido.com wrote:
I would strongly like to encourage all people practicing Aikido abroad, both instructors and students, to learn Japanese. Indeed, from the third Dan, I would expect all aikido students to understand basic Japanese. There is no urgency, I'm sure you can use five or ten minutes after training to study together. This should not incur any additional expense. I thank instructors for their kind comprehension concerning this matter.
Aikido is not only about studying techniques: directly accessing the Founder's words and ideas with your own sensibility is definitely an important issue. Please keep in mind that interpreting the Founder's words directly from your own understanding, and not through others' explanations, is the starting point of Takemusu-Aiki, the Founder's original Aikido.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #29
sisley
Japan

Quote:
Grant Barker wrote: View Post
Thanks Jim. Thanks too for the link to http://www.tozandoshop.com/. I fancy checking that store out. I notice we are spoilt for choice with different Aikido Gi Jackets http://www.tozandoshop.com/category_s/34.htm.
(I would consider any of those I guess apart from the 1st one and the ninth one which are too pricey for my feebleness at this stage. The ones that soak up sweat and blood and self-deodorize sound ideal. Not sure what you folks would choose..
(snip)
Now back to the Gi's...decisions decisions..
Cheers all.
Grant,

My experience has taught me that you will want more than one dogi, and that is especially true here in Japan where summers are humid and winters are cold. And dogi take forever to dry when you hang them outside in the winter!

With that in mind, why not start with the basic starter's set? It's a reasonable price and later once you've been practicing for a while, you can put a little more into a nicer set, if you wish.

Jim
Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #30
Grant JB
Japan

Thanks Peter for that link and info.

Yeah Jim. I think I'll get 2 or maybe 3 basic sets and go from there. Petty kind of question but in this apartment the machine only links up to a cold water pipe. In other countries I always used hot or warm water. Not sure what my next apartment will have. I trust you just wash them like any other clothes - although keep the whites together away from pinks and so on . I did in the states and when I was a kid with other martial arts but we had hot water then. Not as petty as it sounds - just curious how to properly wash them. Want to practice my Japanese but don't quite fancy asking that question in a busy store just yet..
Cheers.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 AM   #31
sisley
Japan

LOL! Welcome to Japan!

Well, most of the time, I just use the cold water as it seems to do the trick. I guess that means your dogi won't shrink so much, so buy it to fit. Once in a while, I'll use leftover water from ofuro (I'd say 'bath,' but there's such a difference) and that water might still be retaining some heat. Mostly, I don't worry about it as long as the dogi doesn't smell terrible! ;-) Winter is tricky, though. I wouldn't recommend trying to dry them in most of the dryers I've seen here in Japan. Best bet is letting them hang outside, I think.

Jim
Old 06-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #32
Grant JB
Japan

Cheers Jim.
I guess I'll maybe use a little more powder or let them sit a little longer depending on the smell. I know my Aikido will stink for a while - the least I can do is keep the Gi clean.

(I intend to post once I get settled and start somewhere..)
Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #33
darin

Quote:
Steven Charles wrote: View Post
I'm a nidan of Nova-do. I try to combine English and martial arts in the classroom. We tear the text in half with our bare hands, do mae-ukemi over the desks. The kids love it!
Somebody say Nova?! I worked for Nova in Tokyo for a year. Was an experience... They still using those old crappy textbooks and make you fill out student files after each class?

Grant-san, I recommend learning as much Japanese as you can. Also be conscious of Japanese culture and customs. By the way how long have you been living there?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!