Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-25-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
How many of your weight train...

...to supplement your aikido?

I'm not talking about body building as in professional body building, but as in typical healthful exercise such as using free weights, dumbbells and aerobics. I've been doing aerobic weight training a la The FIRM And it has been very effective for me in regards to weight loss, strength trianing, improving my stamina and flexibility. This practice has definitely improve my ability to practice aikido. (Of course this is supplement with healthful eating and no-fad diets.)

I'm definently talking the physical side of aikido, here. But how do you all feel about it, because I believe it's a myth that we shouldn't weight train.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 02-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States
Hi Anne, and yes, its agreed that moderate resistance(wts)can be beneficial in the ways you have described. I want to ask also to anyone, why O'sensei didn't like push-ups? I have heard this somewhere and wonder if he viewed the push-up as anti-aikido because it is a "resistant" exercize? curious and thanks.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
cbrf4zr2
I have a weight bench at home that I utilize. I also do a solid 2+ hours of aerobic training from April until September on the weekends. I also play in sports rec leagues. So I supplement my aikido with quite a bit of other activity.

And yes, it is a myth that you shouldn't weight train. Better to be a healthy, happy aikidoka than just a happy one.

...then again, that's just me.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
giriasis
United_States
Daniel,

I wonder if he didn't like because it tightens up the shoulders? I have to actively keep my shoulders stretched out to keep them flexible. But sometimes their stiff because I'm all stressed out from work and my traps are really tight.

How does everyone else feel? Does any body avoid any sort of resistance training because they feel/ discovered it hurt their aikido?

Anne Marie Giri
Old 02-25-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
I train with free weights and dumbells and my bench, doing lots of reps rather than lots of weight -- but I have been able to increase the weight over the months I've been working at it. I was a 125-pound weakling two years ago, but the intense exercise in karate class got me in good enough shape so I don't fall apart in aikido.

In aikido, I find it's hard to do some moves because I lack arm and hand strength -- no, I'm not trying to muscle my techniques, but I can't even turn some of the big guys' wrists in kotegaeshi and my arm gives too much in irimi nage. So I've been concentrating on strengthening my hands and arms. Still doing the intense aerobic karate exercise and jujitsu classes to improve my speed, stamina and overall strength, and doing assorted other exercises to make my back stronger so my ribs stay put during ukemi.

I haven't yet discovered any exercise that hurts my aikido; but then again, I'm so far from "musclebound" that maybe it just can't be an issue for me yet.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #6
BKimpel
I have trained with free weights for over 10 years now. Both my upper body and my lower body strength have increased dramatically. I do not experience any lack of flexibility or movement because of weight training, but I do get stiffness if I do not regularly stretch (regardless of whether or not I weight-train).

There is one negative though. Although my grip and arm strength certainly assists my Aikido -- I find I rely on strength to ‘muscle' through a technique sometimes instead of improving my form (because the strength is there and it's naturally easier).

That's a training issue though -- something that can certainly be overcome.

Bruce Kimpel
Old 02-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
paw
Anne,

Congrats on your progress! Keep at it.
Quote:
But how do you all feel about it, because I believe it's a myth that we shouldn't weight train.
I would agree 100%.

Hey, for kicks and giggles check out:

This list to see how you measure up

Regards,

Paul
Old 02-25-2004, 01:26 PM   #8
Ted Marr
I don't do much weight training, just due to time constraings... if I do get to the gym, I'm more likely to practice running away... er, I mean, doing something aerobic, just 'cause that's more of a strictly "health" thing. But a while back, I used to keep one of those grip strengthener things that they make for rock climbers in my back pocket, and use that for a few minutes whenever I was bored and didn't have anything better to do. I had to stop because I was starting to hurt people accidentally when I grabbed their wrists. Still happens sometimes when I don't think to moderate myself.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #9
giriasis
United_States
Thanks Paul,

I could easily be one of the success stories over at The FIRM website. (Those are real people and not fitness models or people hired to do a "study".) I could really pitch it but I'll save you all from my informerial-esq pitch.

But, here's a breif synopsis of my story. In December 2001 I got up 195 pounds after maintaining at 180 for about two and half years, getting close to passing 200 pounds ... again. I'm 5'5" and yes, that was clinically obese. I couldn't even finish my 4th kyu test, 3rd kyu was pretty difficult, too, stamina wise. I'm 160 now and working on getting to a healthy weight and applying a healthy eating lifestyle. My 2nd kyu test was a breeze as far my stamina was concerned.

I have no clue what any of that means in the link you provided? I do mostly light weights with high reps. My heaviest weight is 16 pounds (two 8 pound dumbells) doing high steps (leg presses on the 14" step). I use 12 pounders for french press. The FIRM uses a lot of circuit intervals implementing P.H.A.T. (Peripherial Heart Action Training) and supersetting. Not to mention the aerobic parts includes typical step and aerobic moves (toe touches and mambas mixed in with plyos and jumping jacks). There's a great stretch at the end of each video using Yoga-type moves.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 02-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #10
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Hi !

I do some exercise at home with some barbells

and a curlbar,I have done Bodybuilding prior to Aikido,so I have a variety of exercises.

I'm very aware of how I stress the muscles

in order not to become tense and insensitive.

Keeping my back strong is kind of necessary

having a back problem and after advancing to

2.kyu I want to be able to take kind ukemi

that will be coming my way.

Aikido requires a special sensitivity that

heavy weightlifting will be counterproductive to ,so it's a delicate matter.

yours - Chr.B.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:13 PM   #11
Fred Calef III
Dojo: International Karate Association/Fairbanks, Alaska
I would just mix an equal amount of stretching into your workout to keep/increase your flexibility as you weight train.

When I trained karate for a year, the practice alone was enough to strengthen my body. I find the same thing with aikido too. Maybe more importantly, the techniques appear to build up the 'appropriate' muscles that need building for each technique.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #12
paw
Anne,

I've heard of The Firm, but I'm not familiar with their material. From what you've described, it seems quite sensible.
Quote:
I have no clue what any of that means in the link you provided?
Well, it's common for people to wonder how "fit" they are. The link was a listing of various activities. You can then see what category the author of the list would place that in.

For example, running an 8 minute mile is "nuthin' to be ashamed of", while running a 4.5 minute mile (or less) would get the "holy S***" rating.

The lifts are indicated by percentage of bodyweight. So, for me, a 165 pound male, a "nuthin' to be ashamed of" deadlift would be 1.5 (number in the table) * 165 (my weight) = 247.5 pounds. The "holy s***" rating would be 3.5 (table factor) * 165 = 577.5 pounds

It's all for motivational purposes, not something to beat yourself up over.... And it's based on the assumption of a 220 pound (or less) male athlete and on absolute strength. Thought it might be fun to check out, but YMMV.

Christian,
Quote:
Aikido requires a special sensitivity that heavy weightlifting will be counterproductive to ,so it's a delicate matter.
Nonsense.

First off "heavy" is subjective. What is "heavy" now, should not be heavy a year from now given a proper training routine. In short, a beneficial exercise program improves fitness.

Secondly, anyone thinking that developing world class weightlifting (by which I presume you mean Olympic lifting) doesn't require sensitivity is seriously mistaken.

Regards,

Paul
Old 02-25-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
I go to the gym on alternate days to my aikido, three days of each in a week with one day of relaxation. This works for me. It gives my body rest and at the same time provides the muscular protection for the pounding one can take on the mats.

When I stop weight training I found my body is more likely to get injured during training. I'm not talking about severe injuries, just the typical aches and pains one might get from twisting limbs and falling heavily.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 02-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #14
ChristianBoddum

Well !

From my experience the best Aikidoka are strong some very strong - but !

They have a very developed sensitivity,

some are very strong but have no sensitivity

and they scare the s... out of me because I can not give them my body without worrying about serious injury and thats not a recipe for good Aikido.

Strong technique is not forceful,it is simply strong by being relaxed and having all the elements of maai,timing,focus,breath and all that takes time to develop.

Relaxed shoulders are very important for correct technique,so too much lifting can affect this.

Nonsense - you be the judge.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:31 PM   #15
paw
Christian,
Quote:
Relaxed shoulders are very important for correct technique,so too much lifting can affect this.
You might be able to produce anecdotal evidence that a specific routine result in someone who has difficulty in relaxing their shoulders, but I doubt that.

But even if that were true, it would not support your earlier assertion that heavy weightlifting is counter productive to aikido sensitivity. (And you still have not defined "heavy" nor "sensitivity"...I mean, is it safe for us to shovel snow or are we risking our aikido skills in doing so? How about helping push a car out of a ditch? Carrying groceries? Carrying a small child? Is it safe for me to pick up my mail?)
Quote:
and they scare the s... out of me because I can not give them my body without worrying about serious injury and thats not a recipe for good Aikido.
Sounds like a trust issue, not a strength one. You might want to consider training elsewhere if trust is so lacking in your dojo or at the very least avoiding such partners. But again, that's anecdotal evidence that doesn't support your earlier statement.

Regards,

Paul
Old 02-25-2004, 07:48 PM   #16
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Hi Paul;

I started weight training and then stopped because I found my self having difficulty brushing my teeth, doing Aikido, and fending off babes.

Actually I stopped because of two reasons. Work is tough and and non-Budo nights by the time I finish I want to get home to supper rather than do something so totally boring as a weight routine. But all things considered I really should get back to it. Last time I had a whole routine worked out but it took too long. Maybe this time I will choose something that will take no more than 20 minutes.

One of my Aikido students is into weight training - one of my best Aikido students I might add - and perhaps he will help me out.

One thing I did notice is an Aikidoist putting down weight training yet doing bokken swings ad nauseum. Same function really.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-25-2004, 08:04 PM   #17
jk
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
Hey, for kicks and giggles check out:

This list to see how you measure up
Damn you, Paul...just when I thought I was getting too old to care about measuring up.

Now I'm going to have to kill myself trying to reach 1000+ squats.

Regards,
Old 02-25-2004, 11:58 PM   #18
Erik
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
One thing I did notice is an Aikidoist putting down weight training yet doing bokken swings ad nauseum. Same function really.
Actually, not. Swinging a bokken really isn't going to improve strength although I suppose with the right bokken it might. What it really does is help you to be able to swing a bokken, a whole bunch of times. The purpose of weight training is to increase your strength which can bring a host of ancilliary benefits which the bokken swinger will for the most part never see. I know I'm being picky but they really aren't the same thing in practice although the mindset behind doing them may technically be the same.

By the way, it does my heart good to read this thread.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:16 AM   #19
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I was lifting weights for a while but quit because those things are frickin' heavy!

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-26-2004, 12:23 AM   #20
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Erik Haselhofer (Erik) wrote:
What it really does is help you to be able to swing a bokken, a whole bunch of times.

Quote:
The purpose of weight training is to increase your strength which can bring a host of ancilliary benefits which the bokken swinger will for the most part never see.
There are some really really heavy bokken floating around here. I'm waiting for Jesse to chime in since a) he is the weight lifting student I mentioned and b) has one of the aforementioned monsters.

I have heard a number of people here insist that bokken swinging increases muscular strength of shoulders and forearms especially. I've been mumbling about doing more of this so at the moment opinions are welcome.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-26-2004, 03:12 AM   #21
cavedave
From

http://www.wadoworld.com/articles/iwasaki/iwasaki.html
Quote:
As well as this, I practice Kendo and Jo techniques using a big builder's shovel. One time a few years ago, a construction company was doing some work in the garden and they left behind a shovel. I was trying to practice with a heavy Bokken but it was not heavy enough after a while so I switched to the shovel. Its very good. I do Shomen-Uchi (overhead straight cut) lots of times each day. At least a hundred strikes. Its good for the internal power.
I know one Sensei who has had the core of a Bokken drilled out and replaced with lead to give it extra weight.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:39 AM   #22
ChristianBoddum

OK !

sensitivity -

by that I mean the ability to feel your uke,

and they way you let ukes intention be the

guide for your application of technique.

Trust is not what I´m talking about here,

it is very real issues of power versus good technique.

Heavy - in regards to training to the level of pump.

Weight training raises your level of testosterone and that can affect how much physical power is in your application,no matter how ýou feel you are doing technique,

let alone your you attitude - I´m not kidding.

My Sensei is watching me because I told him

that I started weight training,if any thing gets obvious I´m sure he´ll let me know.

Aside from that weighting has a very positive effect on my wellbeing and mood,

so that is also reason why I do it.

I hope this clears things up for you.

yours - Chr.B.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:39 AM   #23
paw
Christian,
Quote:
sensitivity - by that I mean the ability to feel your uke, and they way you let ukes intention be the guide for your application of technique.
That's an attribute aquired by training aikido and getting experience on the mat. It is not related to weight lifting. (That is to say that a beginner is going to have poor sensitivity regardless if they have been a "heavy" weight lifter or not).
Quote:
Heavy - in regards to training to the level of pump.
Bodybuilders..... Defining "heavy" as it relates to "pump" is silly. 506 pounds (230 kg)is heavy for a 165 pound (75 kg) person to deadlift. Period. (Few trained people are capable of such a lift) If you can or cannot lift it once, you will not have a "pump" --- which is a function of volume over time. This is why Olympic Weightlifters are smaller and less muscular than bodybuilders, but significantly stronger and far more athletic.
Quote:
Weight training raises your level of testosterone and that can affect how much physical power is in your application,no matter how ýou feel you are doing technique
The increase in t-levels is not that great and varies on an individual basis, hence the difficulty in gaining large amounts of muscle in a short period of time without the use of anabolic steroids. Also, t-levels naturally fluctuate over time, peaking in fall/winter for men regardless of weight training or not. (Are you suggesting men should train aikido in the fall/winter when their t-levels are naturally higher?) Finally, only time I've ever seen t-levels to be a problem is with the use of anabolic steroids (the so-called "roid-rage"), which frankly, doesn't happen that often.

Regards,

Paul
Old 02-26-2004, 06:48 AM   #24
giriasis
United_States
Chris, I agree with Paul in regarding the sensitivity that's a matter of proper aikido training not really a result of being physically strong. Someone can be very weak or very flexible and still not be sensitive to their partner. But, Paul, I do have to say that someone very strong and who does not have proper aikido technique is more prone to injuring a partner more so that some one who is not strong because they can more easily muscle through their techniques. But that, again, goes to someones aikido skills rather than the fact that they work out.

In regards to the testosterone, many women don't work out with weights for a similar reason thinking they will bulk up like a man. Well, what they don't realize is that women don't have nearly the amount of testosterone as a man so we just don't bulk up like that, UNLESS, steroids are invovled. I guess the same is true with men on a different relative scale.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 02-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #25
Erik
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:

There are some really really heavy bokken floating around here. I'm waiting for Jesse to chime in since a) he is the weight lifting student I mentioned and b) has one of the aforementioned monsters.
I did somewhat mention that with the right bokken it may be but the defining difference to me is that weight training is progressive. Unless you have several monster bokken it's not the same. I'm not saying that it won't condition the body, and it surely conditions the mind doing 1,000 cuts, I'm just saying that it's not the same thing as weight training.

Maybe I should say progressive resistance training rather than weight training?