Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-29-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
itdoka
When do you know you've injured your wrist?

I was taking ukemi yesterday and received a really great yokomen shihunagi and I thought my wrist was broken. It has been bothering me in the past and I'm afraid yesterday may have aggrevated it. I have only been practicing since October, and wanted to know when an injury is serious. I am able to rotate my wrist (360 degrees), though there is slight discomfort. I can also bend my fingers backward back toward my center. However, the space between my hand and wrist meet (in a straightline off my thumb hurts)

Is this just something along the lines of growing pains (a need to get use to ukemi) or is this something I should worry about?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:47 AM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Sign in dojo:

"If it hurts today, ice it.If it hurts tomorrow, Get An X-Ray!"

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-29-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Worry about it!

Put some ibuprofen gel on it and if it is not back to normal within 24 hours, GO AND SEE a doctor.

I would seriously consider changing dojo. As nage, one has the responsibility not to hurt uke. It may have been a mistake and those do happen but if this is a regular thing at your dojo there is a problem... Or at least I think there is a problem. If you're doing to "angry white pajamas" training then expect it.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
"When do you know you've injured your wrist?"

When it hurts a LOT.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
gamma80
Dojo: Avon Kempo & Aikido Academy
Rich,

When in doubt see a doctor and get an xray. I detached a ligament in my thumb during training in January and practised with it that way for almost 6 weeks before I finally got it looked at. I thought it was just a jammed thumb and was waiting for the discomfort to go away, it never did. I could have made it worse by training with it in that condition. Luckily I didn't but shouldn't have taken the chance, it could have had me out a great deal longer than the 5 weeks it has cost me so far due to surgury.

Chris
Old 03-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
itdoka
man, I don't want surgery. That would be awful. Would taking it up help? My insurance sucks and the only way I can get an xray is through the emergency room, which means waiting 6-7 hours (tonight and missing class) then paying 75 bucks for the visit. I don't want to overreact with getting an xray, but I also don't want to severely injure my wrist either. With the 20+ bones in the wrist I am very confused as to whether its just a sprain or something more serious. Perhaps my wording of "broken" in the beginning of the post were a little over the top. It was painful, but there was no pain once there wasn't any pressure applied in the same fashion as shihunage.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Jamie Stokes
Dojo: Kenkyu Kai
Rich,

sorry to hear about your injury, your uncertainty is understandable.

Take a deep breath, step outside your self and take a long term view.

Missing out on one lesson and waiting 6-7 hours, and shelling out $75-00 to make sure.

Compared to....

An aggravated untreated injury, requiring surgery, an overnight stay in hospital, six months physio therapy, no Aikido for six months.

The best time to extinguish a fire is while it is still small. By the time the fire engulfs the forest, it is too late.

I know thats poetic, but small problems treated small are cheaper and easier to fix than small problems grown big.

Its your body, and you have to live in it for the rest of your life.

My Two cents worth.

Warmest regards,

Jamie Stokes.

Aikido: Love and compassion at one metre per second.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:49 PM   #8
thatoldfool

Dojo: Aikido de la Montagne
What everyone else says in logical. If it really hurts, go see a doctor. However:

I got my wrist *really* wrenched during a nikkyo, a wrist which was, like yours, just recently hurt by a bad break fall from a shihonage.

I practiced the next day, and it still hurt. So I taped my wrist with hockey tape, to show people it was hurt. I practiced lightly on that side, and, with time, the pain went away.

So - my advice in regards to this is - take a week off class and see if you can save yourself $75 if it feels "ok" after that. If not, tape it up, and continue practicing on the other side, avoiding the hurt side, and see if it feels better. If it hasn't noticeable improved by that point, give in, and do that doctor thing.

I sympathize about the money issue - I'm saving for New York Aikikai Summer Camp, which means for groceries and going out, I can only spend $20 a week. The above, though, should at least not aggravate the injury, and gives it time to turn out to be "nothing."

Good luck and good healing!

"Best to be like water,
Which benefits the ten thousand things
And does not contend."
Old 03-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #9
Janet Rosen

Soft tissue injuries (sprains and strains) take 6 to 8 weeks to fully heal. Period.

Its possible you just did a minor tweak though. Also possible you have a serious problem--none of us can judge from the computer!

You should surely be taking a few days off the mat to rest and ice it, then re-evaluate for swelling, range of motion and pain, and take it from there.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-29-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
James Giles
Dojo: North Florida Aikikai
United_States
Re: When do you know you've injured your wrist?

I was practicing kotegaeshi about 3 weeks ago with a guy in my class, and he really cranked my arm during the pin (the kneeling pin..not the standing one).

My elbow was so screwed up that for two weeks, I could not lift objects that weighed anymore than a couple of pounds with that arm. Its like the elbow joint had just given out and any attempt to use it resulted in quite a bit of pain.

I was very worried about the elbow for about two weeks, and had no doubt that I had a serious injury that was probably going to require a physician's care.

But during the past week the elbow has rapidly healed. It is as good as new now.

I agree with some of the other posters that say to take it easy for a while, and see if it starts showing signs of improvement before you go out and spend a ton of money on Xrays and a doctor.

I hope your injury is not serious, I wish you the best. James
Old 03-30-2004, 07:38 AM   #11
itdoka
Thank you everyone for your insights advice and kind words. I agree with everyone here. I think I'll wait a few weeks, tape it up at practice, ice it when I'm off the mat; and if it still huts then (2 weeks later) go to the emergency room for an xray.

James, Glad to hear your elbow is better, that sounded like it could have been a lot more serious.

Thanks again to all!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:55 AM   #12
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Rich,

For your own sake be very careful with this injury. I had the exact same thing happen several MONTHS ago and it's still not right. If I had taken more time off initially instead of "training through it" I'm sure it would have healed a long time ago. As it is, I now wear a stiff brace (think roller blading) when I train and will only train the one side for certain techniques. I have made a promise to myself that I won't use it 100% in class until I've had at least 2 weeks of zero pain and that has yet to happen...

Think long term. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:48 PM   #13
Richard Cardwell
Dojo: Belfast Aikido Circle
On my very first mae ukemi, I wrenched my shoulder. It's hard to get me to see a doctor, so I ignored it. I couldn't lift anything heavy for 2 weeks, or sleep on it for nearly a month. I live in Britain, so healthcare is free- I accept that your situation in the US is different, but is the pain lasts more than a few days, it's worth going as an investment in your own body- the most precious thing you have, after your mind.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:33 PM   #14
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Ken Sparrow (kensparrow) wrote:
If I had taken more time off initially instead of "training through it" I'm sure it would have healed a long time ago.
Another unfortunate reminder that not attending to an acute injury can turn it into a chronic one.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield