Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
Krystal Locke
United_States
Re: The harder I try the more I am lost

Quote:
Oksana De Luca wrote: View Post
Thanks for clarifying

Perhaps you have a point as well see my previous reply to this post on my resolution

Just a quick question for you, what's with the poop comments? Lol :-P
Everybody poops. Poop is just a funny word, and the topic is especially evocative. Another instance of been there, done that. I am a master of the ancient chinese secret martial art of flung poo.

Sounds like you got some good input and you tried it out successfully. My third favorite Japanese quote is "Saru mo ki kara ochiru;" Yup. Sensei doesn't always bow, sempai lean against walls, dojocho runs in and out of the dojo for some paperwork without taking off the shoes. Me, I occasionally will fart on the mat, sorry, I cant seem to put bad scatological jokes behind me.... Most of us aren't Japanese and aren't in Japan, so lots of the etiquette is a bit silly and out of place for us, hard to remember, easy to ignore.

But, my second favorite Japanese quote is "Nana korobi ya oki". If you want a translation of that, listen to Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping", one of the best aikido songs ever written. A good reminder of what training is all about.

Damatte keiko, of course.
Check this site out, good stuff. Sawaki Koudou is clearly my hero.
http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/aoki/K...tes/keiko.html

Last edited by Krystal Locke : 12-21-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: formatting things the way I wanted them.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
LuvAikido
Canada

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Cool to see an enthusiastic new member posting about their experience.

As has been said don't worry too much about making mistakes. You will never be perfect. None of us are. Be willing to look foolish in front of your sensei and other students because that is how you will learn. It isn't easy to be an adult student. We are used to knowing how to do things and often fear embarrassment when we don't. My teachers do often say that it is fine to be confused.

As for attention from sensei. As my sensei has said to me. The ones who keep showing up are the ones who get the attention. It does not go unnoticed when someone turns up for class regularly and over a long period of times. At two months in you are still very new to aikido. Very new people will tend to get extra attention. In my dojo from everybody not just sensei. Those who keep showing up also get extra attention as do those preparing for testing.

A little reading outside of class and practicing some things can be useful. But life is full of things you also should take time to enjoy. I was as determined as you seem to be in the beginning. Some thought I would not last long. Here I am almost 5 years later preparing for shodan and being accused of being an over achiever by some newer members. My answer to them? "I am setting an example. You should follow it".

Do what works for you but remember this is a long long haul. It is not going to be easy. It will be confusing, frustrating and fascinating. It isn't a sprint, it is a marathon. So don't try to learn it all at once.

And don't worry about what your husband has chosen. That is his choice and has no reflection on you or your value as a student in your dojo.
Thank you for your kind words I really appreciate your input and good to know someone could relate
Old 12-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
LuvAikido
Canada

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Everybody poops. Poop is just a funny word, and the topic is especially evocative. Another instance of been there, done that. I am a master of the ancient chinese secret martial art of flung poo.

Sounds like you got some good input and you tried it out successfully. My third favorite Japanese quote is "Saru mo ki kara ochiru;" Yup. Sensei doesn't always bow, sempai lean against walls, dojocho runs in and out of the dojo for some paperwork without taking off the shoes. Me, I occasionally will fart on the mat, sorry, I cant seem to put bad scatological jokes behind me.... Most of us aren't Japanese and aren't in Japan, so lots of the etiquette is a bit silly and out of place for us, hard to remember, easy to ignore.

But, my second favorite Japanese quote is "Nana korobi ya oki". If you want a translation of that, listen to Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping", one of the best aikido songs ever written. A good reminder of what training is all about.

Damatte keiko, of course.
Check this site out, good stuff. Sawaki Koudou is clearly my hero.
http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/aoki/K...tes/keiko.html
Lol love it! Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #29
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

In our dojo a brand new student will receive a great deal of attention the first few weeks, primarily for safety reasons. After that, they will usually be allowed to try and fail, try and succeed with their partner. After a few months, a newer student will start getting considerable attention in the form of correction from the instructor. Later, the amount of attention will ebb and flow depending on levels of training, work ethic and circumstances. For example, someone getting prepared for a more senior kyu level will probably have the instructor making a million minor corrections to help them prepare. This isn't personal, but rather applying the limited resource of a teacher's time in the most efficient way for a mat full of students. I promise there will be times you sincerely wish you didn't have your sensei's attention. You can be deadly serious and still have fun by the way.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #30
SeiserL

United_States

Sometimes trying too hard and attempting to get some where (else) too soon, prevents progress.

Be mindful of where you are, study/training wisely, and let the journey unfold at its own pace.

IMHO, humility, patience, and discipline is part of the training.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #31
Dalaran1991
France

Oksana, I think the great part about you is that you are very dedicated and that will get you very very far. However, I do think that the learning aspect of aikido is extremely personal, so stressing about getting it right is about as useful as worrying about why you don't have two eyes in the back to see when people are kubishime the hell out of you So:

Quote:
find that there isn't much feed back on how well you are doing in aikido, or is it just at my dojo? I wish that there could be more feedback otherwise how do you know when you are progressing and where you need work? I realize there is lots of independent and personal learning involved which is perfectly fine. When something is worth it, it is worth the effort. Aikido to me is more than just a technique.
I used to think EXACTLY the same when I was noob. Actually I'm stopping that. I am noob. Back then if I trained with someone with a hakama and they don't say anything I would get really worried "did I do my technique so bad that he doesn't even want to correct me?" Sensei also left A LOT of stuff untaught. You know, like the classic Japanese Senseis who say nothing and let students figure stuff out. Now that I have been asked to train other people I realize this is the most intuitive way of teaching. Aikido is all about finding connection within yourself and with other. So how can someone else who doesn't live in my body tell me what to do? Except if it's some very basic stuff, otherwise anyone who is not qualified trying to tell me how to use my body has a high chance of actually telling me how to use THEIR body instead.

This stuff is meant to be figured out in time. And frankly it's better that way and it's the most irresistible thing about aikido: you always feel like a noob and you always are learning something new. A lot of martial arts have a high burn out rate for black belts cause they think they have learned all there is to learn (meh), but I can hardly imagine me having this problem.

Keep on it. Soon you will discover things that will blow your mind and get you addicted. I'm afraid of height, but a year ago I actually learned that I would not die when a 6"6 nidan flips me head-first over his shoulder and butt-first on the tatami. Since then I insisted on taking a high fall even from Ikkyo
Old 12-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

I was thinking about you this morning, and one thing that worries me a bit is the fact that you mentioned your family. If this perfectionism is indeed a part of your personality, training in a martial art will help you de-dramatize things and accept that perfection is just beyond your reach, because you are simply human. Yes, we should seek perfection, but we should also accept that we will never reach it. This acceptation will help you accept those around you and love them as they are. I am worried that someone so obsessed with perfection might put too much stress on those around them as well as on themselves. So keep training, with not only yourself in mind, but also those around you.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #33
lbb
United_States

Yeah, perfectionism isn't a good thing in a martial artist (or really anything else, but it's particularly bad in martial arts). I know, because I was one, until my first teacher explained how futile and counterproductive it was. I think I'd been training about a month at that point.