Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Alan Jackson
Dojo: Mt Pleasant Aikido
United_States
Mike Sigman on Ki in Aikido

NOTE: Though posted in the Non-Aikido Forum, this workshop is intended for interested aikido practitioners.

Mike Sigman will give a workshop in Charleston, South Carolina on Saturday, September 6 and Sunday, September 7, 2008 on the theory and practice of internal training skills specifically within the context of aikido. The workshop will run from 9:00 - 4:30 each day with a break for lunch. The registration fee is $150.00. Recommended training attire is gi pants, sweat pants or gym shorts and a t-shirt or sweat shirt. Registration will be limited to 30-35 participants. For additional information please call or email Alan Jackson: 843.270.4449 or ajackson@mckellarmail.com.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Mike Sigman on Ki in Aikido

I highly recommend attending if you are in the area. You will be able to make up your own mind on the utility of what is talked about on this site and others.

Well worth the time.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Mike Sigman
United_States

There were a couple p.m.'s asking about the syllabus for the workshop, so I thought I'd save time and post here (and on some of the other forums where the notice is placed).

Generally, we'll start off with 2-person static jin/kokyu exercises. It's very easy at first and gradually progresses in complexity. The four general directions of jin/kokyu usage will be developed and from those basic directions, all directions can be developed. During the development of these basic ki/kokyu/jin exercises, examples will be done using demonstrations that Tohei, Ueshiba, Shioda, and other sensei's have done.

After static skills have been developed, there will be some work and exercises involving moving with kokyu/jin power, and then practice time using these skills, mentally adjusting the kokyu/jin in blending with partner's forces, etc., will be developed (there will be some waza usage near the end of the workshop). This part gets pretty interesting because "aiki" and "blending" take on a very different yet functional meaning.

There will also be some training in how to generate power, particularly for kokyu-nage.

A group of basic exercises for kokyu/ki development will be taught, but we won't do more than minimal practice and review of these exercises because frankly, it's the sort of thing you need to do on your own. Personally, I tend to try to teach how things work and then let people determine for themselves how strong they want to develop the strengths. Some people only want simple, basic skills and others want great power... my thinking is that each of those people can take the basics from the workshop and practice as fits into their personal goals.

Concurrent with the kokyu/jin development will be some instruction and practice on breathing and development of the general ki. Of course, because those skills and body-development take some months to begin developing, not much in the way of will be obvious during the weekend, although some things will become apparent.

There will be some other topics touched upon and practiced, but the above is a good general idea of what to expect.

Best.

Mike Sigman
Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
dbotari
Canada

Hi Mike,

Just a quick question. Will the information package you provided for your last seminar be available/distributed in this one?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Botari wrote: View Post
Just a quick question. Will the information package you provided for your last seminar be available/distributed in this one?
Hi Dan:

Yes, although I will probably modify an small area or two in the workshop (due to a slight shift of focus or a perceived better way to say some small area, or etc.) and I need to look through the handout and see if it needs changing to reflect those things. Generally, though, it will be about the same handout. And there are 16 pages to it, IIRC.

Bear in mind that the handout is really only my effort to save the workshop participants the trouble of taking notes (so they can concentrate). The notes by themselves aren't really complete in themselves.

Best.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Mike Sigman
United_States

Sorry I missed the inference about "information package". There was a DVD of some of the exercises that I showed, but it was mainly to remind people of how I did a few certain things in the workshop. Without the background information of the workshop, the DVD wouldn't be complete enough to trust for training. I haven't decided how to handle that aspect in SC. Probably I'll play it by ear.

Best.

Mike