Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
muscular aikido bro

Dojo: portugal santo andre petrogal pavilhão
Starting Aikido?

Well guys i always have dedicaded do bodybuilding,and training my physique,but now i decided to train some martial arts and aikido was the only one that they had in the ginasium,so what i am asking if this martial art achual is efective in self defense for exemple in a street figth woud be possible to do some moves teach in aikido

just peace for me

o yeah i am going to talk with my future teacher this monday

thanks everione

have a nice day
Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Re: Starting Aikido?

Quote:
Alexandre Gonçalves wrote: View Post
Well guys i always have dedicaded do bodybuilding,and training my physique,but now i decided to train some martial arts and aikido was the only one that they had in the ginasium,so what i am asking if this martial art achual is efective in self defense for exemple in a street figth woud be possible to do some moves teach in aikido

just peace for me

o yeah i am going to talk with my future teacher this monday

thanks everione

have a nice day
Any martial art can be used effectively for self-defense by someone who is trained in self-defense. If you're asking if aikido training repalces self-defense training, no. If you're asking if you will learn things in aikido training that can be effectively used in self-defense, yes.

Many people here will tell you that all that muscle isn't necessary in aikido, and they might be right, but it certainly doesn't hurt. One of the most talented students at my dojo is a dedicated weightlifter.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
lbb
United_States

Quote:
How many street fights do you get into?

When you get into a street fight, are you the one starting the fight, or is someone else attacking you? Why are they attacking you -- do they want to hurt you, do they want to take your wallet, did you make fun of their favorite football team, or something else? How are they attacking you -- with a weapon, are they swinging fists, pistols at ten paces?

If your answer is, "I don't get into fights, I just wanted to know if aikido could help me in a fight", the answer is yes -- just as a screwdriver could help you if you wanted to build something. Of course,, whether it would help you depends on what you're trying to build. Once you've figured that out, you'll have your answer.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, if you are looking for just self-defense in a street fight in a short period of time, look elsewhere.

But you might want to look into martial arts with the same dedication you do your bodybuilding.

The more we put into it over time, the more we get out of it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Take up M.M.A, or Judo and/or Boxing for quick results....
Aikido long term result, (even then a bit iffy depending on the school!!!!)...... Compliment yourself with all that you can do and pick one for main training.......
Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
muscular aikido bro

Dojo: portugal santo andre petrogal pavilhão

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Take up M.M.A, or Judo and/or Boxing for quick results....
Aikido long term result, (even then a bit iffy depending on the school!!!!)...... Compliment yourself with all that you can do and pick one for main training.......
sweet tanks man i will

I WILL START TAEKWOONDO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Zach Trent
Dojo: Integral Dojo
Israel

Alexandre- have fun man w/ TKD. I dunno though if I would call it "more martial" than Aikido...

Of course it depends on your teacher- I've studied both and I think they are both long-term endeavors. What did you think of the earlier question about what you need from a martial art?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

Well put Lynn! Aikido is amazing for self defense but its greatest gifts are to be opened over the years after sincere practice.
To repeat the old saying, "There is no superior martial art only superior martial artists." If you give any martial art the dedication you have given to body building you will be well rewarded.
Doc Sexton

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Andrew Macdonald

for sure external or striking styles in show quicker basic results (with a few exceptions) things like karate, with a TKD, muai thai, will teach you effect striking techniques which if you end up in a street fight will be useful. although these are mainly sporting/fighting styles.

another way to go is to take arts which are predominantly martial arts, aikido, some kung fu styles, and japanese ju jitsu. these have strong techniques but sometimes lack in 'live' practice of these applications

with the correct teaching both of these groups could be adapted or included in self defense syllabus, in fact the arts that are know as being self defense arts systema, krav maga include techniques from both the fighting styles and the traditional martial arts styles, but teach them in a different way

so it really depends what you are looking for from your training
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
Walter Martindale
Canada

Um... I had a sensei at the early stages of my Aikido who said he wouldn't give 5th kyu to someone if he didn't think he could "take" a shodan in most other martial arts.
Do I believe I could "take" a shodan in most other martial arts? - Don't really want to find out. Did he believe that? I'm not sure, but he told me I'd get a 5th kyu no problem and promoted me for third kyu test without ever going for 4th...
Anyway - I guess it all depends on the sensei and the dojo. If you want to test yourself, spend a year or so at each of 5 different MA schools and get yourself REALLY confused.

Regarding the strength issue - Another of my senseis used to say sure, don't need to use your strength, but if you've got it, use it...
W
Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
Elldav
Dojo: Melbourne Aikido
Australia

I reckon I would be much faster running away from a street fight after studying aikido for the past four years!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
Um... I had a sensei at the early stages of my Aikido who said he wouldn't give 5th kyu to someone if he didn't think he could "take" a shodan in most other martial arts.
Do I believe I could "take" a shodan in most other martial arts? - Don't really want to find out. Did he believe that? I'm not sure
If he believed it, he was almost certainly kidding himself. That's an attitude of willful ignorance and delusion.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
sweet tanks man i will

I WILL START TAEKWOONDO!!!!!!!!!!
Joins aikiweb ... two weeks later takes up TKD. That's the kind of dedication required for success. No stopping this one ...

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
If he believed it, he was almost certainly kidding himself. That's an attitude of willful ignorance and delusion.
While what Mary says is likely we can't be sure. There was no mention of what kind of time was required to make it to 5th kyu nor do we know what the requirements for 5th kyu are.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
Insane Duane

Dojo: TenShin Budo Kai
United_States

Strength will definitely help you in a fight. Certain Aikido techniques will not work (or at least be VERY difficult to do) against someone who is REALLY strong. There are many core principles that DO apply regardless of the differences in size/strength. Getting off line and taking center are a couple I can think of. Also, your instructor will mane a HUGE difference in your fighting ability regardless of the style (TKD, Aikido, Karate etc.).
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #16
Andrew Macdonald

I think the issue of using strength in aikido maybe deserves it's own thread, however

From my own personla training, I have found that the way people phrase things is often misleading, when i am doing aikido or chinese internal arts I have come across many people who will tell you using strength is bad is not to use strength and this in itself start all sorts of problem like some instuctors telling thier students never to lift weights cos it will ruin their technique.

for sure when i start learning a new technique i try to use as little strength as possible becasue i don;t want to accidently muscle through the technique, but once I have got the basics I start to apply a little bit more strength to it. I think a better way to decribe things is not to RELY on strength rather than not to use it
Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
Insane Duane

Dojo: TenShin Budo Kai
United_States

Excellent points Andrew Macdonald.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #18
kewms

Quote:
Andrew Macdonald wrote: View Post
for sure when i start learning a new technique i try to use as little strength as possible becasue i don;t want to accidently muscle through the technique, but once I have got the basics I start to apply a little bit more strength to it. I think a better way to decribe things is not to RELY on strength rather than not to use it
Yes. Being strong never hurts. But relying on strength is unwise.

Katherine
Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #19
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote: View Post
While what Mary says is likely we can't be sure. There was no mention of what kind of time was required to make it to 5th kyu nor do we know what the requirements for 5th kyu are.
Yes, we can't be sure, any more than you can't be sure that a meteor made of solid platinum is not about to h it your house...but in the real world, it doesn't happen. Sure, someone could create their own aikido organization where you only get a fifth kyu after six or seven years of dedicated training. Think anyone's done that? Or do you think instead that practitioners of other martial arts are uniformly weak and worthless?

It's not just an aikido thing, but it is arrogant and foolish to dismiss the effectiveness other martial arts of which one has no more than a superficial knowledge.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Yes, we can't be sure, any more than you can't be sure that a meteor made of solid platinum is not about to h it your house...but in the real world, it doesn't happen. Sure, someone could create their own aikido organization where you only get a fifth kyu after six or seven years of dedicated training. Think anyone's done that? Or do you think instead that practitioners of other martial arts are uniformly weak and worthless?

It's not just an aikido thing, but it is arrogant and foolish to dismiss the effectiveness other martial arts of which one has no more than a superficial knowledge.
To protect the innocent, I don't name names.

In my individual case, having slightly slower reaction times than "the norm" (I've actually been tested in lab situations while in post-grad physical ed studies), I'm fairly sure that I'd be struggling in an encounter. That's me.

When (on the rare occasion) I visit other MA, I'm not there to fight or challenge anyone - I'm far too old for that and - I'm there to see what they're about, and to see if I'd be interested in learning their "stuff" - so I don't test them on their effectiveness against my Aikido or test my Aikido against their "stuff" - I try to learn some of their "stuff"...

The sensei I was describing earlier has had exposure to many different things.

Pure platinum meteorite? That would be neat! I'd better not be home when it hits.

Last edited by Walter Martindale : 02-06-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #21
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
Pure platinum meteorite? That would be neat! I'd better not be home when it hits.
It'll be there right after one of this sensei's fifth kyus defeats a shodan in another style.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #22
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Joins aikiweb ... two weeks later takes up TKD. That's the kind of dedication required for success. No stopping this one ...
Maybe 2 weeks on AikiWeb was enough to put him off of Aikido

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.