Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-13-2001, 06:49 AM   #1
tombrandli
Question Aikido with only one kidney

Are there any instructors or students who either have trained, trained with, or perhaps are a student/instructor with only one kidney. I've recently had an operation which required the removal of a kidney and am interested in learning Aikido, but am hesitant due to only having one kidney. I've thought perhaps wearing a "kidney belt" like the kind used in motorcycle racing might be a good idea to protect the remaining kidney. Also, the rolls and general well being that Aikido would bring might be beneficial to not only the kidney, but the entire body. So, any information / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards;
Tom Brandli
Old 12-13-2001, 07:44 AM   #2
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

This is an interesting question. I'm not sure if I've ever trained with anyone who has only one kidney. Having only one kidney is not something that could be easily recognized. My opinion (!) is that having only one kidney would in no way affect your ability to train in Aikido. I say this because the kidney is not involved (at least not directly) with any bodily system which you would use during Aikido training.

Kidney belts, like those used in motorcycle racing, are designed to prevent the kidneys from "bouncing around" during harsh landings after jumps (motocross or off-road racing). I suppose the belt may help prevent unnecessary shifting of the kidneys during a hard breakfall, but the belt may actually be a hindrance during ordinary rolling due to loss of flexibility in your lower back.

My suggestion is to give Aikido a try. If you find that certain aspects of the training are difficult, then perhaps your Sensei can make some allowances. I've trained with students who had prosthetic arms and legs. Certain techniques required some slight modification for them to perform, but they could perform them (quite well actually).

These are only my suggestions/opinions and are in no way based on medical fact, as always you should ask your doctor if he/she feels that the rolling and falling you will experience in Aikido could potentially cause you harm.

Have a good day!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:57 AM   #3
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by lt-rentaroo
Hello,
I'm not sure if I've ever trained with anyone who has only one kidney.
You have.

Quote:
Having only one kidney is not something that could be easily recognized.
I sure hope not.

Quote:
My suggestion is to give Aikido a try. If you find that certain aspects of the training are difficult, then perhaps your Sensei can make some allowances.
Ditto. You might also shop around a little to find a training atmosphere that you feel comfortable with.

Quote:

These are only my suggestions/opinions and are in no way based on medical fact, as always you should ask your doctor if he/she feels that the rolling and falling you will experience in Aikido could potentially cause you harm.
Ditto. There might be something related to your surgery or what drove it that could enter into a rational decision.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 12-15-2001, 06:43 PM   #4
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
The late Shihan Fumio Toyoda taught aikido with one kidney. I hade the honor of practicing with him just before his passing. He had a vibrant and energtic personality, on and off the mat. He is greatly missed.

You can read more about him on the Aikido Association of America's website.
http://www.aaa-aikido.com/

I also believe Aikiweb had a few links to articles about him after his recent passing. Maybe they are in Archive somewhere.

I belive practicing with one kidney should not be to much of a problem. Just be careful with the breakfalls and practice with a vibrant and joyful matter. Don't push yourself too hard.

Peace and Bleesings.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:58 PM   #5
guest1234
Ask your doctor. No matter what other input you get, ask your doctor. Having one kidney is not the big deal, we allow kidney donors to remain in the military after donation, one works just fine. The problem is whatever led to the removal in the first place. If it was trauma, there might be other things that had to be done to repair the damage that you will need to be aware of during training. If it was due to disease, that may require adjustments in and of itself (eg, diabetes, sugar and fluid monitoring; infection, fluid monitoring; etc). Too many variables, ask your doctor. But I'd say a belt is not needed.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:05 PM   #6
guest1234
PS
your doc probably will have no clue as to what Aikido is, and since you haven't started, you may not, either. Go watch SEVERAL classes. If you can, take a book that shows the falls (or be sure you can describe them), get a feel for how long and active the classes are, and the room temperature (some dojos can get pretty toasty in the summer), and the facilities availble if you need to use injections.

Pay attention to the class/instructors during the several classes you attend. Do they use a lot of rib atemi? with how much enthusiasm? Your will need to clearly describe the art to your doc if he is going to give a good opinion on your ability to train.

Good Luck, hope you start training soon.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:54 PM   #7
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Greg - I had no idea; Is this why you grunt so much?

Ghost Fox - I to have trained with Shihan Toyoda. I did not know of his missing kidney though. He was a truly great teacher; I miss him also.

Tom - I hope our posts have provided you with some insight. Good luck with any training you undertake in the future.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:42 PM   #8
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by lt-rentaroo

Greg - I had no idea; Is this why you grunt so much?
I was born with only one kidney "hooked up".

I don't know how I got into growling when I train.

It's just something that happens spontaneously when the training is nice and vigorous.

BTW, Colleen, are you in the USAF? If so, and you're ever visiting Maxwell, come play with us. We're about 10 minutes from base.

Regards,

Last edited by Greg Jennings : 12-15-2001 at 09:44 PM.

Greg Jennings
Old 12-15-2001, 10:06 PM   #9
guest1234
Thanks for the invite, I'll be sure to look you all up if I ever get down there...

When I was at Eglin you were where we evac'd, but I always had to stay behind ...

Reminds me of trying to round everyone up after Hurricaine Opal...one of our doc's left a number to call, wasn't a Maxwell area code, turns out this recent recruit from a lucrative California practice evac'd to Aspen ...I had to explain that was not exactly what we meant...
Old 12-16-2001, 06:44 AM   #10
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Thanks for the invite, I'll be sure to look you all up if I ever get down there...
Wonderful.

My aikido instructor was the head of quality at the SNCO academy before he retired as a 30-year Chief.

Given that, it's painful that one of the things at the dojo that we're not doing well is reaching the AF/base community, so I'm always stumping...

Quote:

When I was at Eglin you were where we evac'd, but I always had to stay behind ...

Reminds me of trying to round everyone up after Hurricaine Opal...one of our doc's left a number to call, wasn't a Maxwell area code, turns out this recent recruit from a lucrative California practice evac'd to Aspen ...I had to explain that was not exactly what we meant...
ROTFLMAO!

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 12-17-2001, 02:45 AM   #11
tombrandli
Smile

Thanks Louis, good information and suggestions. I've talked to my doctor about it, and after explaining what Aikido is (in my limited knowledge), he thought that I should be OK, but that he did recommend I wear some type of protection, at first.

Regards;
Tom
Old 12-17-2001, 08:43 AM   #12
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Tom - I'm glad you took everyone's advice and consulted with your doctor. Good luck with your training, Have Fun!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.