Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:43 AM   #1
Rene
Dojo: Tendoryu Aikido Berlin
Germany
Katate-dori or Katate-tori

Dear all,
I am practicing Aikido for many years in tendoryu style in Berlin. By googeling and reading books sometimes an attack is called katate dori, but in other books it is called katate tori; what is the difference and what is most likely more correct? Or does it depend on the specific style of Aikido? Thanks for any kind of explanations.
Rene
Old 10-01-2015, 04:43 AM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Katate-dori or Katate-tori

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendaku
Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

There are a few different styles of translation, and you'll see many other words used to. Compare it to looking up "grab" in an English thesaurus.

I am not aware of any significant difference between Dori and Tori, usually blamed this on non-Japanese speakers.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Walter Martindale
Canada

Demetrio got it...

When some words (in this case tori) follow some vowels, in Japanese, the consonant starting the second word changes. Probably for ease of speech.

If you were to go to, say, Aikikai Hombu and say "katatetori" people would probably understand and may politely correct you (or just say) "katatedori"..

"hashi" is a 'romanization' of the words for bridge or chopsticks. Meaning comes from context or slight changes in intonation - i.e., if a non-native speaker, in a restaurant in Tokyo, was to ask for "hashi" with the wrong pronunciation, the server would not likely go out and bring the customer a bridge as the context implies chopsticks. So what... "nihon-hashi" is pronounced "nihom-bashi".. Suido - hashi is pronounced "suido-bashi" - those are bridges in Tokyo...(Suidobashi is also a train station on... is it Chiba-sen? - no - Chuo-sen...)

When in Japan, listen and learn.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #5
robin_jet_alt
Australia

A good example is 'a herb' vs 'an herb.' Which is correct? It all depends on whether you pronounce the 'H' or not...
Old 10-02-2015, 01:46 AM   #6
Rene
Dojo: Tendoryu Aikido Berlin
Germany

Thanks for this explanations, is sounds difficult to make and understand a correct translation, without to be speak Japanese.
Rene
Old 10-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Carl Thompson

Japan

Just to clarify what I think was established right at the start of the thread: "katatedori" is correct.

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
A good example is 'a herb' vs 'an herb.' Which is correct? It all depends on whether you pronounce the 'H' or not...
In this example, either 'a' or 'an' is correct, but the rule for 'an' before a vowel is a nice comparison. Basically, it's not as easy to say "a 'erb" or "a apple." In the same way, see which rolls off the tongue the easiest: katatetori or katatedori. Same goes for happokiri or happogiri etc.

Carl
Old 10-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #9
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Just to clarify what I think was established right at the start of the thread: "katatedori" is correct.

In this example, either 'a' or 'an' is correct, but the rule for 'an' before a vowel is a nice comparison. Basically, it's not as easy to say "a 'erb" or "a apple." In the same way, see which rolls off the tongue the easiest: katatetori or katatedori. Same goes for happokiri or happogiri etc.

Carl
Hello Carl,

How about kotodama vs. kototama?

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 10-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Carl,

How about kotodama vs. kototama?

PAG
Hello professor,

I remember reading somewhere (probably John Stevens) that Osensei pronounced it kototama. Since I'm in Ibaraki (or Ibaragi), with it's interesting dialect, I'm careful of unusual expressions. Do you know how the founder would have said kotodama?

Carl
Old 10-12-2015, 02:49 AM   #11
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Hello professor,

I remember reading somewhere (probably John Stevens) that Osensei pronounced it kototama. Since I'm in Ibaraki (or Ibaragi), with it's interesting dialect, I'm careful of unusual expressions. Do you know how the founder would have said kotodama?

Carl
Hello Carl,

No, I don't. I think you would need to ask someone who knew him well, like Inagaki Shihan. In the Takemusu Aiki text, the furigana is kotodama, not kototama.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 10-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #12
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Carl,

No, I don't. I think you would need to ask someone who knew him well, like Inagaki Shihan. In the Takemusu Aiki text, the furigana is kotodama, not kototama.

Best wishes,

PAG
Good evening Professor,

Both Sensei and myself usually have to rush for work after the bukiwaza class on weekdays, but I managed to quickly ask him this morning. He is the first native speaker I have asked who has not just stated categorically that it is 'kododama'. I'm afraid I'm still processing his answer and he may have more to say about it, so I'll have to get back to you later.

Regards

Carl