Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
TEARO
Dojo: Agatsu Aikido,Montreal
Canada
A question about Shihonage!

Why is it called Shihonage?Can you use it to throw a person in Four directions?

I know Shihonage means four direction throws but I don't see the four directions!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: A question about Shihonage!

Heiney Sensei just explained this one to us last week... lets see if I get it right.

You have forward and back as you enter and pivot to pass under Uke's arm.
You have up and down as you raise Ukes arm and throw him.

Forward,backward, up, Down... four directions.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
dps

Quote:
Firas Msaddi wrote: View Post
Why is it called Shihonage?Can you use it to throw a person in Four directions?

I know Shihonage means four direction throws but I don't see the four directions!
Shiho nage comes from shiho giri or four direction cut.
When doing shiho giri with a bokken you are practicing turning to receive attacks from four different attackers from four different directions.

In this video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs157f6dlXs)
you will see zengo giri ( two direction cut), shiho giri (four direction cut) and happo giri ( eight direction cut) with the bokken.

In shiho nage you should do the same but instead of a bokken you are use the four different attacking ukes.

David

Last edited by dps : 08-15-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Forward,backward, up, Down... four directions.
It's the same 4 directions as shiho giri as David explained, but NOT as he explained in terms of 4 different attackers.

Essentially, you can throw (the same) uke in the opposite direction of the attack, i.e. behind him, in the same direction as the attack, or to either side of the attack (from the same side that you are on).

In actuality, it can be in *any* direction... probably easier to show than explain in writing...

Last edited by eyrie : 08-15-2009 at 06:38 AM. Reason: clarity

Ignatius
Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Essentially, you can throw (the same) uke in the opposite direction of the attack, i.e. behind him, in the same direction as the attack, or to either side of the attack (from the same side that you are on).

In actuality, it can be in *any* direction... probably easier to show than explain in writing...
I agree with this description. The mechanics of what is happening tracks the cross-wise motions of happo undo to produce smooth elliptical curves of entry and throw, as with the Trammel of Archimedes:

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
dps

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
It's the same 4 directions as shiho giri as David explained, but NOT as he explained in terms of 4 different attackers.

It is also used to practice turning to receive another attack from another direction after the throw of the first attack because your attention should not be on the person you have just thrown but possible attacks from other directions.

None of the techniques of Aikido are practice to do just one thing. When practicing a technique you are practicing multple skills.

David

Last edited by dps : 08-15-2009 at 07:24 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Shadowfax

United_States

ah yeah that is what she did tell us. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Suru
United_States

Since I analyzed the words, "four-direction throw," I have seen it as facing the four right-angle directions (N, E, S, W) during the technique, along with every other circular direction in-between. As far as what I hear Mary Heiny Sensei said, that is a new way to look at it for me because I think back to the three-dimensional cross. This is a symbol the Founder speaks about. In "The Secrets of Aikido," John Stevens Sensei parallels shihonage and gratitude; perhaps he means we should offer thanks in every direction instead of taking life for granted.

Drew
Old 08-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
your attention should not be on the person you have just thrown but possible attacks from other directions.
I'd partially agree with this, but not with the argument and logic of how you arrived at this conclusion. It would be accurate to say that your primary focus should always be on the immediate threat, while your peripheral awareness should be on potential secondary and tertiary threats.

Quote:
It is also used to practice turning to receive another attack from another direction after the throw of the first attack...
Sure, it *could* be used for that purpose, but the argument is akin to the old debate of the functional purpose of Naihanchi (a Karate kata). You appear to be drawing the same conclusion as many have done - that the function of the kata (or in this case waza) is based on the lines of embusen; i.e. used for fighting with your back against a wall, or whilst standing on a dyke in the middle of a paddy field, or defending the King on the steps of the castle. It simply isn't... *could* be used, is not the same as why a technique is named as such.

Ignatius
Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
TEARO
Dojo: Agatsu Aikido,Montreal
Canada

Thank you guys for the help!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I agree.

4 directions is as good as 8 directions which really means ANY direction. I've also seen jujitsu folks start shihonage the same way and have it result in 4 different (devastating) endings.

When I thought driving power from thrusting from the hips was critical, I thought that the most helpful way to get beginners to think about it is to have nage be as SW corner, and uke be at the NW corner. Then as nage thrusts and then follows in a NE direction, uke lifts themselves up and starts pivoting (which nage continues to follow) such that they (the uke) start to fall in a SE direction to the SE corner, landing the pivoted nage in the NE corner. So the 4 directions are nage orientation from facing NE to SW (and floor), and uke orientation from facing SE to NW (and ceiling).

Now, I would say I do something entirely different, which does not depend on driving from hips or following (but I still think following people into themselves is a valuable skill to learn).

Rob
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
thisisnotreal

Quote:
Ellis wrote:
And in post #14, someone wants to write: "Shihonage is a manifestation of using the ground to effect aikiage and aikisage in one circle. You transfer power in spirals up the legs through the hara, using windings of ground force, etc." (I just made that up -- and I don't know what it means). What I suggest is that the writer starts a NEW thread in the Internal Strength section, with a preface,
Well I found this here thread...and I was wondering if what you say is legit. it has a strange kind of ring to it. is it a hint?
cheers,
Josh
Old 08-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #13
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden

The late Saito Morihiro Sensei used to explain shihonage and kotegaeshi with the sword.

In the clip (0.00 - 0.40) you find his usual display of shihonage's principle of being able to throw someone in 4 directions (and therefore 8, 16, 32... ad infinitum).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP-Hf...eature=related

Coincidentally Daito Ryu has the same throw but call it gohonage (5 directional throw) where the directions are north, south, east, west, and the added direction of "on the spot - i.e. where they (or you) are standing)".

For me it is also about training how to move freely in any direction as the situation demands it.

/J

Jakob Blomquist
Old 08-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #14
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

四方 (shiho) is a typically poetic way of saying "every direction" rather than merely 4 directions.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/
自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館

The Language of Aikido
http://thelanguageofaikido.com/
Old 08-24-2009, 05:59 AM   #15
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

every time i heard folks mention that shihonage is the 4-direction throw, i cringed. i believed in Asian language, the literal translation is four-corners of the world. its meaning really is "around the world", i.e. you are moving in a full circle. personally, i believed it's not about uke, but it's about nage. then again, i am low on the totem pole, so what do i know?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #16
eyrie

Australia

Phi... NOW you're getting into ancient Chinese cosmology!

Ignatius
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #17
Adam Huss

United_States

As was mentioned before, Shihonage translates as 4-direction throw but insinuates all directions. I believe there is a video by two married instructors with the surname of Krane (spelling?) who spend a bit of time displaying through some technique how shi'te can throw uke in a bunch of different directions from a single (the same) angle of attack. I thought it was a pretty neat way of physically displaying the "all direction" attribute of shihonage. If I can find the video I will post the proper names of the instructors, their affiliation, and the name of the video.
cheers,
-A

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 07-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #18
sswam
Dojo: Aikido Shudokan
Australia

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
every time i heard folks mention that shihonage is the 4-direction throw, i cringed. i believed in Asian language, the literal translation is four-corners of the world. its meaning really is "around the world", i.e. you are moving in a full circle. personally, i believed it's not about uke, but it's about nage. then again, i am low on the totem pole, so what do i know?
This has the ring of truth to it.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #19
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

Same as in English, the world "News" is from North East West South, the four corners of the globe but really means information and stories gathered from everywhere instead of exactly North Pole, exactly South Pole.

I do have a drill I like to play with. Put either four or eight sticky notes in a big circle, and stand in the middle of the circle. Throw your Uke, all attacking with the same arm, with you keeping the same foot forward, to different points on your circle. Return to the center each time, the goal is to train being able to throw Uke where you want them to land. Shihonage Ura throws Uke the direction they attacked from, Omote throws them in the same direction they were traveling (Kihon basics - the bigger the opening movement, the more of an angle). 90 degrees is a breakfall. There are several basic forms of Shihonage that some teachers identified, and they all have their trajectories. As Shihonage can be damaging, I tend to start someone new to this drill with Iriminage or Tenchinage instead.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #20
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

Yet another way to explain shihonage is to change the initial initial translation from 4-direction throw to throwing in 4 directions. Explained more, taking uke's balance sequentially in 4 different directions with the last being terminal (not dead, but the gake, execution) of the throw.

Neat thing is to watch beginners learn this throw and they almost always try to turn it into "Sanhonage," meaning they leave out one of the off-balancing directions, usually the "Up" one.

Really nasty variation is the 3-quarter backstep away to uke's side instead of the forward step to uke's back and then the downward cut of the hands for the typical shihonage throw. We call that tenkai kotegaeshi or kotekujiki. Nasty bit of business that ends up with a (if you are practicing and not trying to maim someone) a nifty 3 way submission lock at wrist, elbow and shoulder.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 PM   #21
JW

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
Same as in English, the world "News" is from North East West South
Where did you hear that? It's not true according to my dictionary (which says the word comes from the Middle English plural word for new things, "newis").

Anyway I like the drill. The uke all come from the same direction initially? As in, there is a line of uke that all take turns attacking from the direction of a certain point on the circle?

You could have it so that if an uke lands at a sticky note, he removes it as he leaves, so that the nage has to continue until he hits all the targets.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #22
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

I stand corrected, I heard this years ago and was told it for true. I remember a book from pre-Internet days saying the same thing. Dozens of sites calling this an old wives' stale.

If I had referred to the Four Corners of the Globe, the idea would still apply as really this is another way of saying everywhere. News is an achronym for the four compass points, but the four compass points are not the source for News according to a dozen websites.

Many variations on the drill - can do just kuzushi to the compass points, or I have had someone walking around the circle randomly and I set up a technique to use Uke as a human shield. The marks are just to stop me from cheating. I like your idea.

Most basic, a line of uke coming from zero thrown to 45, 90, 135, 180, all the way to 360. I've done it with just one Uke, but it takes more time. For fun, have the Uke stand where they land - can you miss the other people? For a variation, instead of hitting all the marks, penalize yourself for every time you or your partner hit one. Then, have a regular class, bodies everywhere, and keep the same penalties. It's just mat awareness, and awareness of the direction a basic technique moves Uke in. Have fun, thanks for catching me.

Last edited by rugwithlegs : 07-21-2015 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #23
Walter Martindale
Canada

A bit OT, but then there's the World Series (baseball), which is not a World Championship of people from all over the world, but a professional baseball championship that (AIUI) takes its name from the New York World newspaper, the original sponsor of the trophy.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #24
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
A bit OT, but then there's the World Series (baseball), which is not a World Championship of people from all over the world, but a professional baseball championship that (AIUI) takes its name from the New York World newspaper, the original sponsor of the trophy.
Which also isn't true. One journalist made that claim, without proof, and it got spread.

Man! Folk etymologies suck!

All this (shihonage, news, world series) does lead me to remember not to think of names too rigidly. I could see how keeping to one definition, particular of a translation from a foreign language, could lead one to discount other possibilities. I'm not thinking of anything in particular, just a general admonishment to myself.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #25
Shadowfax

United_States

Not much point in reading a lot into the name of one technique, when the names of several others translate as one, two ,three and four and there are dozens of varieties simply lumped under the single name kokyunage.