Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-31-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States
Proper Japanese term for "Dojo Founder"

I'm working on a project in my dojo to replace the nafuda (nameplates) on our nafudagake (nameplate-hanger/rack) with something that has a better sense of permanence and artistry than our current setup. One change I'm pursuing is replacing the rank/title plates such that they all have appropriate Kanji with smaller, thinner Roman letters with the transliteration and/or translation alongside.

One title I seem to be missing in my research of Japanese terminology is for "dojo founder". As our dojo founder retired from teaching some years ago, our Dojo-cho is another, so it seems like there should be some distinction of titles here. I asked our Dojo-cho about it already, but his answer amounted to, "Hmm, I don't know, either. I'll have to ask around!" (He doesn't mind me pursuing it independently, as he still gets the final okay.)

As to the actually terminology, I'm looking for what would be considered proper or traditional, not necessarily a direct translation. For any help you can give, I would be greatful, arigato gozaimasu!
Old 10-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Proper Japanese term for "Dojo Founder"

Why not simply use the term ` Dojo Founder ` it would be clear for all to see and understand.
I trained in the 1950s at the famous ` Hut Dojo ` it was the very first Aikido Dojo in the UK - It is still revered to this day because of all the Japanese and English teachers that taught there.
I believe the Japanese for ` Hut ` is Yamagoya ? - To say I trained at the ` Yamagoya Dojo ` in the 1950s does not have the same old charm as ` The Hut Dojo `.

Henry Ellis
Co-author `Positive Aikido`
http://kazuo-chiba-sensei.blogspot.com/
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
Old 10-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
jamesf
United_States

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Why not simply use the term ` Dojo Founder ` it would be clear for all to see and understand.
If I have to fall back to that, I will. But my goal is to combine artwork with a learning tool, and I have time to work with, I already expect the greater project to take around a year (weekends and evenings when I'm not already busy with other activities ...like Aikido practice).

The basic design would have the Kanji characters arranged vertically on the center-line of the nafuda, with a romaji transliteration in smaller characters on the left, and the effective English translation in a likewise style on the right.

Another fun reason to do it this way is that we also have some native Japanese speakers in our dojo. I've already approached most of them to ask for their names in Kanji, so there's no going back now!
Old 11-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #4
robin_jet_alt
Australia

There is no technical term that I can think of, but you could always go with something like 道場設立者.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
judojo

Dojo: Ju Dojo
Location: 349 MALVAR STREET, DIPOLOG CITY, 7100, ZDN, PHILIPPINES
Philippines

We like to inquire from the original Japanese Aikido Dojo. We highly respect the Aikikai and the Japan Aikido Association and we all love this organizations.

REYNALDO L. ALBAŅO
Old 03-26-2016, 02:22 AM   #6
jamesf
United_States

Update: After much research, and bouncing ideas off a dojo friend who is a native-Japanese speaker, I finally found a term that was close enough, though still rejected ("no, that one could be for Ō-Sensei"), that it finally gave her an idea for a counter-suggestion. Her suggestion was so elegantly simple, it settled the debate:

初代 道場長 Shodai Dōjōchō meaning: "1st-generation Dōjō-chief".
Old 03-26-2016, 02:28 AM   #7
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Brilliant! I love it!
Old 04-30-2016, 01:52 AM   #8
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Shodai Dojocho translates to first dojocho (head of the dojo), but Soushisha may be a better term for the first person to make the dojo, the originator ($BAO(B$B;O(B$B<T(B).

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 08-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
KenJT
United_States

道場開設者

開設 - KaiSetsu (Founding)
者 - Sha (Person)

I came across this "道場開設者" at other Japanese dojo web sites.
Ken J T