Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Graham Farquhar
Dojo: Ki federation of GB
United Kingdom
Abbé sensei video 1961

I am sharing this link which I happened across of Abbe Kenshiro Sensei who brought Aikido to the UK. The film is courtesy of Henry Ellis Sensei ( a regular contributor here) and I would encourage interested parties to view some of the excellent historical information on his websites.

http://aikidoellisvideo.magnify.net/...Abbe-Judo-1961

I have heard lots about Abbe Sensei from my own teacher and viewing this was struck by how centred he was and what athleticism and agility he posessed at what at the time of this video he would have been mid to late 40s. I know this is not an Aikido video but there is so much to take from the video not least how easily kuzushi is taken. Also at one point there is almost a demonstration of unraisable body which Tohei Sensei popularised.

Although not a judoka myself, I would welcome comments from this with a wider knowledge on what they also take from the film!

A big thank you to Ellis Sensei for sharing this and all the other information you hold on the early days of Aikido in the UK it is greatly appreciated by many.

G
Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Graham Farquhar
Dojo: Ki federation of GB
United Kingdom
Talking Re: Abbé sensei video 1961

A small post script! If you read "It had to be felt number 11 Abbé sensei- view the film as "it has to be seen!"

But seriously some of us weren't practising or even born when some had a chance to feel this - seeing it in action is the best we can get!

G