Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
guzteac
Possible to Train By Oneself?

Hi, folks - Just kidding about the title - I've never taken up Aikido before but have always been interested in it. I'm not sure there is any dojo in my area - Aikido is not that famous in my country - Silat is more like our traditional martial art.
So I'm just wondering is it possible to train by yourselves ?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Possible to Train By Oneself?

Quote:
Guzman Treachor wrote: View Post
Hi, folks - Just kidding about the title - I've never taken up Aikido before but have always been interested in it. I'm not sure there is any dojo in my area - Aikido is not that famous in my country - Silat is more like our traditional martial art.
So I'm just wondering is it possible to train by yourselves ?
Are you kidding again with that last sentence?
Just in case you're not:
I think it's possible to train by yourself, but it is very different from training with another person. I have a pretty vivid imagination and I put a lot of stock into the idea that I can use it to simulate training with another person (in fact that's how I memorize formal technique), but it's a poor simulation based on what muscle memory has already been established...which of course requires past training with someone else. So in the sense of learning about our own anatomy and how to purposefully use its functions, yes, solo training is a great way to learn, but I think the best overall training includes a training partner. It adds a level of complexity to the learning that is hard to replicate. I train a little almost every day by myself, but when I go to the dojo, I see much better results.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Whats your country? malaysia, brunei or indonesia? all these countries have aikido dojos. just search.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
guzteac

I'm from Malaysia . Near the International airport - KLIA to be exact.

What I meant by training by yourself is that - can I train using video with a friend or somebody ?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. I would not recommend training by yourself with a partner using a video/dvd or book as a guide. A more sincere way would be to spend time looking for a teacher, and even then, you should not hesitate to ask questions. In gassho, Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 04-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
James Edwards
United Kingdom

I think it is possible to train by yourself but only once you have studied aikido for a period of time and know what to train.

I'm pretty sure there are loads of aikido dojo if you look for them. Malaysia has 3 aikai organisations listed on the hombu website and from a glance they seem to have very good teachers with good lineage. Can't miss that!

Yoshinkan aikido is also quite popular in malaysia I heard.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
guzteac

Thanks for that info - Ill check them out.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

There's a dojo in bangi/kajang which is quite near to KLIA. Its run by Suzalie sensei and he's also an ex boxer. I recommend you go try his class out. Try googling him out, if you can't find him then PM me and I'll give you his number.

Say Guzman... are you from Indonesia and did you ever train in bangsar at one point in time? You work in cyberjaya?

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
RED
United_States

You tricked me with a fake title!! 0_0 Thus suckering me into a false sense of security. *will never trust again*
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Depends on what it is you are training for.

If you are simply interested in training for yourself, because you are interested in Aikido, then yes certainly it is possible.

You can use wonderful resources like Aikido books, video's and youtube. Kata, physical conditioning, alignment exercises, and development of awareness are all possible on your own.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #11
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Sorry, one can only train with himself (with a friend but without constant teaching) after he has a good idea of what he is doing.

Thus, YOU can not train with yourself YET.

A book, video and other such means can not give you feedback and will not correct your mistakes. In addition the writer is limited by the format in transfering his knowledge, and even worse, without experiance you will likely miss important details.
As opposed to some Holiwoodic concepts, most M.A. secrets are open for all to see, but most people simply miss what they are shown. An instructor can stress the lessons he wishes you to see from hisdemonstration in each and every step.

Good luck
Amir