Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Thomas Osborn
Dojo: Aikido of Northampton
United_States
Changes In Evaluative Criteria

7/15/10 Note: Changes in my evaluative criteria. Way back at the beginning of this blog, I tried to lay out what I wanted to accomplish for and with the vets, how I wanted to do that, and some ways to tell if I was being successful. These were;
GOALS: While I want the class to be an enjoyable break from their regular schedule, I really want to give people something positive they can use outside of class, in their regular life, dealing with their real life issues. Properly taught, the physical activity should have an effect on their mental/emotional activity [kinesthetic learning]. It doesn't really matter if they are consciously aware of this. Covert can often work better than overt.
Based on discussions with the staff and given the time and location realities:
1. Stress the collaborative nature of aikido practice, Nage as teacher, Uke is student.
2. All techniques will end with a standing pin, occasionally a take down. No throws or falls.
3. Concentrate on basic moves and techniques; 1 & 2 hand grabs, shoulder grabs, shomenuchi.
No tsuki [punch] as it could be a bit too risky with this group.
4. Drill on the 5 points of technique
A. welcoming "attack" and relaxing to center
B. getting "off the line" and entering
C. blending attacker's [Uke] "center" with defender's [Nage]
D. Nage utilizes technique to move their own body, maintaining relaxed and centered movement and not focusing on Uke
E. coming to a place where the attacker is secure and both participants are safe
[especially Nage]

EVALUATION: To evaluate progress/success on these I've come up with the following set of goals;
1. That guys will enjoy the class and keep coming
2. That there will be a good interaction among the various "demographics" of the group and a sense of group will develop
3. Guys will learn and demonstrate an ability to consciously relax and center when "attacked"/stressed
4. Staff will have some commonly held language they can use to help Vets in certain situations, i.e. relax, center, breath down
5. All of these will carry over outside of class.

I've been able to look at these every once in a while to help keep myself on track and to keep changing things appropriately. At this point I can up-date a couple of things;
Under GOALS;
A. welcoming "attack" and relaxing to center when feeling vulnerable, and utilizing that "vulnerability" as a strength
D. Nage utilizes technique to move their own body, maintaining relaxed, balanced and centered movement and not focusing on Uke
Under EVALUATION;
2. Eliminate.
Insert after 3 [as 4] "People will exhibit more centered, relaxed and balanced movement.
5. Vets will feel/evidence an ability to deal more confidently with situations of vulnerability outside of class.

These aren't major changes. Eliminating #2 was just a recognition that these guys are a pretty tight group based on their common military background and the fact that the PTSD gives them a lot in common. Changes and additions are focused on mainly dealing more, and more effectively, with the issue of vulnerability, and using the basics of Aikido to cope. This is based on Staff feedback, discussions with the guys, and my own experiences. I have to find more and better ways to include this issue throughout my program.

(Original blog post may be found here.)