Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
sharonbader
Dojo: Vancouver West Aikikai
Canada
Bujin dogi - Womens Style

I want to get a lighter Dogi and while searching the Bujin site I noticed the Womens design jackets.

http://www.bujindesign.com/wdogi.html

Does anyone have one?

Thoughts on it?

I also looked at the Tozando site and with so many choices it hard to figure out which one of theirs is the lightest. The Seersucker looks interesting
http://aikido.tozando.com/ag250.html#

anyone know anything about this one?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido
Re: Bujin dogi - Womens Style

I have both light and heavyweight bujin women's dogis; the heavyweight is literally falling apart at the cuffs and neck but is still somewhat stiff. The lightweight one is comfortable. Both fit far better than any 'unisex' gi I've ever tried.

-LK
Old 08-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I have owned two of Bu Jin's lighter weight womens' gi tops; the first one is literally shredding at the hems, the second is just worn. The fabric is a little fragile, but *very* comfortable in hot weather.

The womens' tailoring doesn't particularly strike me one way or the other, but the lighter weight of the neck yoke is very nice--my regular unisex gi always feels as though it's grinding into my neck. For a more lavishly built women I think the little internal ties that keep it closed no matter what could be quite useful.

I'm torn between wanting another one because the light fabric is so comfortable, and being reluctant to spend the money on something that wears out so fast. I should probably find a gentler way to wash them, but even so, they aren't the sturdiest.

Mary Kaye
Old 08-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk

I have two, one lightweight one heavyweight, and I just ordered two more lightweight ones. I've had the lightweight one for about three years, and worn it consistently, and it shows no sign of falling apart, so I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of it. Mary Kaye, I wash mine on "gentle" and hang them to dry, which has worked out for me so far. I don't like the feel of the heavyweight one. It has never softened up, and pops open more than the lightweight one.

Because I do have fairly substantial breasts, the cut of the gi and the ties on the sides are excellent, and make it much more comfortable than the men-accommodating dogi I've had. If you're a little smaller in the chest, I don't think that the cut will really be of that much benefit to you.

The expense is the downside to these, and it's going to be a bigger downside, since starting Sept. 1, Bujin is going to raise its prices. So if you want one, order it now.

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 08-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

I have a lightwt one. It is made with darts for a younger woman than me (they point, and end, waaaay too high!!!) but even so it is the only commercially available gi top that is made for people with larger breasts and hips than waists.

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 08-14-2005 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
I have a lightwt one. It is made with darts for a younger woman than me (they point, and end, waaaay too high!!!) but even so it is the only commercially available gi top that is made for people with larger breasts and hips than waists.
Hey, Janet,

I'm surprised you don't just put your own darts in. You're certainly capable of it, In fact, next time I see you, I'll just bring a bunch of gi jackets for you to modfy...

Jeanne
Old 08-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
sharonbader
Canada

Thanks for the input!

I think I'll go for the regular dogi. I don't need the extra chest space...

Sharon.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Jeanne Shepard wrote:
I'm surprised you don't just put your own darts in. You're certainly capable of it,
Well there is one thing I hate, and that is taking apart a well made garment to adjust it....if I started with a standard gi top that was big enough to actually wrap around my hips, I'd have to reconstruct everypart of it above the hip and it is SO not worth it....and on judo gi fabric, impossible to dart. Nope, that's why I made my own from scratch, with the darts exactly where I need em!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

I had a bujin's women dogi top and really enjoyed it. It lasted me about four years and I trained pretty hard with it. I live in Florida and the lightweight version was very nice to have. Also, I'm well-endowed and having a dogi top that doesn't fall open is really nice.

What I did notice, is that it would yellow in the armpits really easily. It is thin, but not as thin as some other karate gis. It's not made of regular judo dogi fabric. I sweat a lot and no matter what I did it yellowed really quickly. I would wear t-shirts to protect it and wash it after each practice, but that didn't even help. After about four years, it stunk way too badly even after being bleached a couple of times in a row. I stopped wearing because of that.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
sharonbader
Canada

Question about size.

I'm right in between medium and small.

Doji Sizes:
Chest arm lngth waist height weight
Small 33-36 27½ 28" 26-30 5'0"-5'8" 100-145
Medium 36-42 29" 32" 30-35 5'5"-6'2" 140-185