Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2002, 08:11 PM   #1
outrageous02909
Dojo: aikikai-downtown
traveling with weapons

What is best way to travel by plane with aikido weapons.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:32 PM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: traveling with weapons

Quote:
steven cabrera (outrageous02909) wrote:
What is best way to travel by plane with aikido weapons.
The last time I traveled, I purchased two of the large tubes for mailing rolled up documents and taped them together. I then clearly marked them and checked in with a security person. Iput on the outside in bold permanent marker: wooden martial arts weapons and then taped them up so if necessary I could pull the cap off. I carried extra tape (box packing).

John Riggs
Old 07-17-2002, 08:33 PM   #3
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
used to be with gun cases (for katana or iaito), or ski bags for numerous bokken and jo. Dont know if that has changed or not...
Old 07-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
lt-rentaroo
Put them in your weapons case and take them as "carry on", and never refer to them as weapons; they're pieces of exercise equipment. This should work as long as you're not travelling with Iaito. That's what I do, but then I'm in the military and I just show the inspectors my ID and walk on through. Yet another perk

Another option is to purchase a hard sided case for snow skis. You could pack your weapons case inside of it and then travel with them as "checked baggage".

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:35 PM   #5
Leslie Parks
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo
Travelling With Weapons

Apart from what I'm sure many people will think, ie. not worth even trying...

In December I flew from Chicago O'Hare to LAX. My husband and I arrived early and checked our baggage, including our weapons. They had to go through special screening and were categorized as "odd size luggage". If they ask what they are, "wooden martial arts training sticks" works well, weapons sounds rather...dangerous. Just be careful at the other end. Ours got stuck on the conveyer belt at baggage claim, having been put on at an odd angle. Fortunately, it was the special "odd size luggage" claim, so it was us and one other guy.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
aikidoc
United_States
I checked mine. Carry on might get you in hot water since they could be used as clubs.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:42 PM   #7
Aiki Teacher
United_States
Ihave a bujin bag. I bought a three inch diameter piece of PVC pipe, put it in my weapons case, placed the weapons in it then zipped it up.

I also checked my weapons underneath. The PVC pipe will protect the weapons very well. PLus it is cheep!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:37 AM   #8
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Quote:
Louis A. Sharpe, Jr. (lt-rentaroo) wrote:
Put them in your weapons case and take them as "carry on", and never refer to them as weapons; they're pieces of exercise equipment. This should work as long as you're not travelling with Iaito.
Nope, this is not true. Trying to do this might get you into trouble! (I know from experience.)

At our club we always check whether someone is going by car. If so then that person is designated wapenstransporter.

For those cases where I have to fly alone I check on beforehand whether the weapons are needed. If not I dont take them.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 07-18-2002, 08:53 AM   #9
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
new thinking for new ways

I just finished traveling across the USA, NJ to Alaska and back, and there is a lot of I don't know's or you can't do that but never an agreement of concensus from the inspecting agents in either the USA or Canada.

It would seem that we are going to have to find more secure means of transporting our training sticks. Much like musical instruments, or delicate pieces of wood are encased in a more durable hardcase, we might have to either continue to take our chances with carryon luggage, or change our approach to having equipment at hand and let the airlines stow it with the other luggage.

I am glad to see the innovations of using cardboard or pvc reinforcements for your Aiki-ken or Aiki-jo, a newer term coined for our modern use of training tools by John Stevens, author and teacher. (At least the use of Aiki-ken/ Aiki-jo replacing the term weapons, as it does not apply in our modern world.)

I would guess the next step is to have many of our Aikido groups contact the Airlines and formulate a set of standards for packaging, carrying, or stowing the wooden training sticks for transport?

How about we all call and annoy different Airlines and then come back with our results?

Maybe if we let the wheel squeek loud enough, our questions will find a definitive answer?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:59 PM   #10
lt-rentaroo
Quote:
Nope, this is not true. Trying to do this might get you into trouble! (I know from experience.)
Erik - I've transported my training weapons as carry-on several times with no issues, even after 11 September. As I said in my post, I'm in the military, perhaps this is the reason I've not had any trouble. We're not subject to as many of the stringent inspections as everyone else.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:11 AM   #11
Tony Peters
Dojo: Mt Tantalus, Kaimuki Judo club
I fly about once a month to someplace in the world (sometimes Japan sometimes other places) I almost alway take my boken, jo and my Iaito. I use a pair of 4" PVC tubes held together with Pipe clamps. I always tell them up front what's in the case and as of yet I haven't had a problem...I was in Guam for 9/11 and have flown though many many international airport with security way beyond that of US airports. Most Xray your stuff as it comes in and they are always more freaked about my Tool box that they are about my sword.

BTW Louis you are vetted so to speak so being in the military, you are indeed immune to many of the security events that others have to deal with. One of the may unseen pleasures of serving uncle sam I guess.

Also never carry fingernail clippers much less a pocket knife at Narita airport...Dont ask my why just take my word for it it's a very bad thing

Peace
Tony
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
That's what makes my Thumper go
Old 07-19-2002, 07:14 AM   #12
ianb
Dojo: Shinryukan (Aikikai)
I'm flying tomorrow, from London to Japan. With my tickets there is a handy little "Airport travel and security tips" card.

Amongst other things it says:

DO NOT pack the following items in your hand luggage:

Toy/Replica guns (metal or plastic)

Catapults

Household cutlery

Kinves with blades of any length

Razor blades

Tools

Scissors

Tweezers

Hypodermic needles (unless required for medical reasons)

Knitting needles

Darts

Sporting bats

Billiard/snooker or pool cues

I've guessing a bo, bokken or jo looks pretty much like a snooker cue to your average airport security bloke.

Don't risk it: pad 'em, pack 'em, check 'em in.

Kia ora
Ian
Old 07-21-2002, 08:02 AM   #13
suebailey
England
hey

i agree with ian check them in it would be wise to buy the acctual carry case for the jo, bokken and so on as they r available in martial arts shops.

falling this just use a ski case they wrk just as well.

also advise the security in advance and they'll put a tag on it and track were its taken and if its bee tampered with.

cheers sue

with out the heart there can be no understanding between body and mind and if u have never linked ur self to true emptiness you will never comprehend the full dimension of aikido.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:06 PM   #14
Jessica
About 2 years ago, my fencing teacher would just carry, her weapons (swords) on board a plane. She did this with them just in PVC pipe.

Jessica