Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #26
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: shihonage:keeping the hand in front of yer face

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I'd be interested in the source as well...
I think I know the source, it is found in Steven's "The Invicible Warrior" book. I can't recall the exact name of the said Uke, but let me check through the book again.

Boon aka "The mild natured bespectacle BUDO GEEK (TM) "

To AV Mano,
Shihonage was designed suppose to dislocate the arm and break elbow. As that is what it was designed to do, so don't be surprise if that happens to uke. But as we are all civilian, law-abiding and being compassionate and all, there are two ways of doing it:

1) Go full speed but let go ala Hombu style, or raise your hand to ease the pressure and let uke fall on his own safely and gently on the mat. Or...

2) Do the Yoshinkan version, keep uke extended and spiral downwards, thus slamming uke down hard on the mat, but done in a slightly reduced speed to let uke take the fall safely.

Whichever way you decide, more importantly is how you intercept the incoming uke, and that you must practice with full speed.

With respect to the throwing (kake) part, as long as you have taken away uke's balance (kuzushi), you basically have successfully complete shihonage.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #27
seank
Australia

Two things I could recommend for shiho-nage regarding keeping ukes hand "in front of your face" is to enter with a shomen-like movement and guide ukes arm back towards their centre (from the back)...

By entering with a shomen type movement, your hands tend to move up and in front of your face, but as you enter your forearm and then elbow slides underneath ukes arm, facilitating their turn without undue stress on the elbow.

Guiding ukes arm back to their centre drops them to the ground directly, but not so uncontrolled as to bang them up.

I often hear people talk of breakfalling and rolling out of shihonage, but have to ask that if you've got time for either of those responses, has nage really done the technique, or are they allowing you an out?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #28
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
I think I know the source, it is found in Steven's "The Invicible Warrior" book. I can't recall the exact name of the said Uke, but let me check through the book again. Boon.
Name of the guy is Hideo Oba.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #29
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Name of the guy is Hideo Oba.
That story doesn't fit the one that was posted above though. As far as I know, Ohba wasn't injured. And while Ueshiba was angry with him after the demo, I don't remember anything about a refusal to teach him.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #30
actoman
Dojo: USA Martial Arts Center
United_States

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote:
"O'Sensei was furious with the student and refused to teach him for years after that"

Any source for this information?
The book is called 'The Invincible Warrior' and is on Amazon.com
Old 07-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #31
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

The issue with that source is that there are no names mentioned, so there is no way to confirm the story (short of asking the author in person).

The story of Oba doesn't match the account above, as someone else mentioned. Neither does it match the performance in front of the emporer. So it may be a combination of the two...which would not be entirely accurate.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #32
actoman
Dojo: USA Martial Arts Center
United_States

[quote=Ron Tisdale]The issue with that source is that there are no names mentioned, so there is no way to confirm the story (short of asking the author in person).

The story of Oba doesn't match the account above, as someone else mentioned. Neither does it match the performance in front of the emporer. So it may be a combination of the two...which would not be entirely accurate.

Best,
Ron[/QUOTE

Maybe I am getting my stories mixed up but that is the way I remember it..might have to read it again. I do remember that it was a long time before uke was allowed to train with Ueshiba again after that.

Sorry for the confusion.