Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #26
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States
Re: What is you're favorite technique?

Quote:
James Ko wrote:
Nothing wrong with that, but you could give us a description no?

Alright

Uke (attacker right?) grabs my wrist. I keep my hand open. I move down with my center while turning his wrist (still open handed) and simutaniously moving my free hand into position forming a torque point for turning his arm. I turn my hips as I bring uke's arm around me, executing the throw with a sword slashing motion.

Thats the best I can describe my fav so far.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 06-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #27
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Was that sumi otoshi? Sounds like it. Do a google search on images and a bunch of different versions will pop up.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #28
TigerJK

tsumi otoshi isn't on this chart:
http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/reference

can you see what technique matches it in other Aikido groups?

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
Alright

Uke (attacker right?) grabs my wrist. I keep my hand open. I move down with my center while turning his wrist (still open handed) and simutaniously moving my free hand into position forming a torque point for turning his arm. I turn my hips as I bring uke's arm around me, executing the throw with a sword slashing motion.

the closest thing I can think of with my currently fried brain is one of the iriminage
Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #29
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
Alright

reads like it could be a form of ikkyo to me Mikel, but it's alot easier to give something a name when you see it done . In the end the names of techniques are all descriptions of the same thing. The simple or the complicated, they are just the practice of trying to find the aiki of the moment.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:01 PM   #30
JamesDavid
Australia

Sokumen iriminage with a strong hiji atemi to the head. Sorry for the violence but I cant help it, I am YoshiOrc.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 PM   #31
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
reads like it could be a form of ikkyo to me Mikel, but it's alot easier to give something a name when you see it done . In the end the names of techniques are all descriptions of the same thing. The simple or the complicated, they are just the practice of trying to find the aiki of the moment.

regards,

Mark

Sounds like it Mark, I just read the Aikiwiki on Ikkyo and it described a sword slashing movment, and controlling the body through turning the elbow.

Today I practiced a new technique, It was for when you are grabbed (same hand) and from there using a footwork we learned.....(starts with a T?) to do a 180, take your attackers arm and cut downwards with it, spinning them around, from that point you take your free hand from below, extending it into the attackers chin to throw them off balance, and then following through with another step, but keeping your arm extended! (Sensei stressed this lol)

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 06-29-2006, 10:31 PM   #32
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

My favorite at the moment is katate dori ikkyo. It's the one I feel more confident doing, and the one I think I do best, without hesitation or big mistakes. I also enjoy doing it, and taking uke off balance is very easy. Yokomen uchi shihonage is also a good one.
I hate all iriminages, I'm terrible at them as nage, and have a hard time as uke too, especially with Sensei, he puts his hip in the way of my fall and I can't fall well so I end up falling with the side of my body to the floor which hurts and is frustrating. God I HATE iriminages. And my hair gets messed up. Sheesh do I hate iriminage.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:08 AM   #33
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Rene Vencer, Jr wrote:
I just happened to be curious...

Aikido has come a long way, and there are so many techniques, and so many variations

and situations differ upon which they're applied....

With all this in mind, it might be intresting to see from all of you... what IS your favorite technique? and why?

________

Mine is Shiho Nage >>> I haven't clearly thought of why yet, but I'll get back with an answer on this.

I'm very comfortable with Shiho-nage, too. I don't know why, but whenever we cycle back to that one, I feel like I'm saying "Hi" to an old friend.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #34
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Mikel, are you in a Yoshokai or Yoshinkan dojo? The "T" movement you describe is often associated with sokumen iriminage (side step in throw) in those styles.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #35
Jess McDonald
United_States

Hi everyone! I haven't been in the loop, as they say, for too long but I always enjoy tecniques with very little footwork. Ikkyo is always cool and I feel POWERFUL but anything that doesn't make me lose my balance is sweet. You know my least favorite? It's the one where you somehow get your arm extended under their throat and drag them around through this elaborate dance until you finally throw their a#@$%. What's up with the dragging? Just throw the guy already. Plus half the time I'm usually half thrown with uke; obviously I need practice. Anyhoo, Bye!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #36
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Quote:
It's the one where you somehow get your arm extended under their throat and drag them around through this elaborate dance until you finally throw their a#@$%. What's up with the dragging? Just throw the guy already.
Jess - you are not alone. We call this 'classic irimi nage' (please no emails!)

I have this Old tendency to load for a hip throw when I have balance that way. It's tough, to do the 'elaborate dance' you describe. I know that it is really supposed to be catching an attempted escape by a savvy uke, but that ain't the way it usually plays.

Try this - From behind grab the close shoulder with one hand, pull down, pivot. When they step out of it - change direction through the weak point where they need a third leg and don't have it. I find that doing the technique with one hand shorts out my Judo thug tendencies!

dave
Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #37
Hardware

Dojo: Ronin (sort of...)
Canada

Why I love Kote Gaeshi.

Picture yourself on a battelfield a few centuries in the past. You've fallen off your horse and lost your ken. An enemy samurai in full armour advances towards you with his katana raised in a shomen giri attack. You time his movement correctly, step to the side and grasp his wrist and sword handle, execute kote gaeshi, take him to the ground and disarm him in one fluid motion. His armour hasn't helped the vulnerability of his wrist.

Ken attacks, straight punches or even edged weapon strikes (tanto, boxcutters, etc) can be countered with kote gaeshi - or variants thereof. It can even be used to disarm someone with a handgun.

'Tis my favourite technique, by far!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #38
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines

Quote:
Howard Dyke wrote:
Why I love Kote Gaeshi.

Ken attacks, straight punches or even edged weapon strikes (tanto, boxcutters, etc) can be countered with kote gaeshi - or variants thereof. It can even be used to disarm someone with a handgun.

'Tis my favourite technique, by far!

great technique indeed.... I recall some of the first Aikido moves Ive seen Segal do in his movies is Kote Gaeshi against a gun...
Old 07-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #39
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

I like Nickyo.
Unless your victim is familiar with defending it, its a
high percentage success against resistance.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #40
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Gotta be ikkyo.

It just feel very... natural.