Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #26
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: Headlock from the front

Don Magee showed a picture of the hold - i think this is a case where the jujitsu has been softened for competition. sink in the arm and the hold loosens. stand straight up with the guy's head under your belly, either pulling up for the choke, or using one hand and belly/hip to ruin the neck and it's lethal as hell.

Kevin - my crumpled up old arthritic female sensei did blood chokes that had us seeing black in half of one second. i used to could do it meself.

Best advice is to 'not stick your neck out' arr arr.

dave
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #27
DonMagee
United_States

I dont think its been softened for competition. I've seen them done as you have described in competition. I've seen guys go out in as few as 6 seconds. I've seen guys tap frantically to the neck crank pain of the choke too. I threw a guy from a standing armlock once (A variation on this wonderful throw http://www.groundfighter.com/uploads...5%20Kimura.WMV ). He tapped all the way to the ground (unfortuantly do to the nature of the throw we couldn't really seperate until it ended). I thought I broke his arm, but he was ok, just really scared. I dont think its watered down, its just really hard to get the right position when you are struggling against someone resisting against you. Its much easier to work on sinking the choke then the neck crank. Of course if he isnt really defending his neck, its all to easy. And yes the best defense to any technique is to not let them get you in that technique.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #28
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I soften nothing for competition. We just simply set the rules that allow for a fairly safe environment. that is, we don't "pull" techniques or soften them. If it is too dangerous, we just don't allow it!

Punches, kicks, gouges, etc. twisting knees etc.

We still grind the heck out of bony parts and use pain. I was slamming my fist into a guys jaw a couple of weeks ago when slamming him in the guard. It is not hitting as long as you maintain contact!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #29
billybob

United_States

Kevin,

I have to decry my poor ability to communicate. I wasn't suggesting 'softening' in a pejorative or literal sense. I was referring to exactly what you said 'set rules for safe environment'. Poor word choice on my part.

Quote:
And yes the best defense to any technique is to not let them get you in that technique.

Don

I wholeheartedly agree with this point, especially for this technique!!!

David
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #30
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Cool...no problem! ya gotta have rules to keep things safe!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #31
DonMagee
United_States

Last night I was a judge at a local MMA competition. I watched a guy do a really nice escape from the choke in question. He took the guy down and made sure he didn't get his guard, then he just twisted his head out by walking his feet to this guys head. Later he sunk in an awesome spinal lock. It was neat to see the twister done in an enviroment where its not illegal.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #32
billybob

United_States

Don,

sounds like the guy seized the initiative and won, after almost blowing it. any chance of video?

dave
Old 06-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #33
DonMagee
United_States

I'm trying to get ahold of them now, there were a few guys with camera's in attendance. No promises though but I'll do my best.

- Don
Old 06-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #34
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

You know, I have been on aikiweb for years. It is interesting now to see that number of guys we have that have been working MMA come over to aikiweb lately and have started exploring aikido as it applies to MMA. I think it is wonderful and has been handled in a very respectful and appropriate manner!

Just a few comments to let you guys know I am enjoying our threads!

Kevin