Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
bratzo_barrena
Dojo: Aikido Goshin Dojo
United_States
JUTSU - DO arts, technically different?

I think the meaning of DO has been erroneously mystified.
Thinking of a DO art as of the result of the pursue of enlightenment or some kind of mystical, religious, esoterically phenomena is the cause of miss interpretation and in some cases just a way to add some mystery to an activity that has nothing mysterious or beyong human.
For what I have read the beginning of DO arts coincides with the abolition of the Samurai class in japan, thus leaving a lot of warriors jobless and without privileges.
So it makes sense that this jobless warriors, experts in JUTSU arts dedicated time to teach to other people these arts just because they like it, they wanted to keep training.
It also makes sense that as war was not now the primary motivation for training there should be another motivation. I think this motivation was just they like training. Now being the motivation the art itself, not war, it's logic that eventually they change the term JUTSU to DO.
I think it wold be like in these days a professional boxer who retires but keeps training just because box is part of his life. Now he wouldn't be training for a Championship a medal or anything like that, he just would be training for the joy of training, thus making boxing his DO art.
Or a police officer who retires but keeps training gun shooting, just because he likes gun shooting. So shooting with a gun is his DO art or DO activity.
And this apply to any activity that a person does just for the joy of doing it.
So the difference between JUTSU arts and DO arts is only the motivation for practicing. Technically there is no reason for a DO art to loose its effectiveness just because now is a DO art.
Taking as example the boxer that retires, just because he now doesn't train for a championship but just for the joy of boxing, doesn't mean that now his technique must inefficient. Or the retired police officer now must miss the target.
And all the enlightenment, being a better human and all that stuff usually related to a DO art, well that's just crap.
Practicing a martial art doesn't make you a better person. if you want to be a good person, just be.

Bratzo Barrena
Instructor
Aikido Goshin Dojo
Doral, FL
Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: JUTSU - DO arts, technically different?

The teleology of DO you offer is largely discounted these days. I addressed this once on budoseek: http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/sh...d=1#post150110

"It's hard not to get all caught up in the
character development stuff, since all the arts
seem to lay claim to it. History clears the vision
of the misty-eyed,however.

"In the 19th Cent., the Mombusho (Jp's Ministry of
Education) rejected MAs for inclusion in PE
curricula for being beastial. After the
exhiliration of being the first colored race
(yellow) to beat the white race (Russo-Jpn war),
enthusiasm for things military came back into
vogue, this just into time to ramp up for the 15
year war (1931-1945) and its attendant racism,
militarism, fascism, and thought police.

"This, not the Tokugawa Peace, is when "jutsu"
became "do," a very conscious process of political
indoctrination and not some sort of process of
evolution. A highly placed policeman was
publishing articles encouraging the change of
names. "DO" here is an abbreviation for Bushido
which was itself the name authorities gave the
military code it had borrowed from the Russians
(sic). In practice this code held that good Jpn
gave themselves body, mind, and soul for the
Emperor even unto death or the rape of subject
peoples.

"When said policeman became head of one of the
departments of the Butokukai, he made this change
from JUTSU to DO himself. This is why GHQ outlawed
judo and kendo and not because they were dangerous
fighting methods.

"So much for the legacy, honor, and romance of
samurai. In fact, some samurai commentators during
and before the Tokugawa held that, far from
slavishly following the dictates of their lords,
samurai might indeed prove their loyalty by
throwing themselves against his wishes to prevent
him from commiting folly. This wasn't what the
militarists of the 20's and 30's had in mind,
however, anymore than dissent is what W. has in
mind when he speaks of the glories of being an
American.

"So the origins of the "character development"
we're talking about when we talk about Budo is
rather toxic. As always, CAVEAT EMPTOR."

Also, see http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ighlight=jutsu for references to Karl Friday on this. He suggests that JUTSU was the same as DO from inception.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: JUTSU - DO arts, technically different?

Don Modesto is one of the few men I know personally who is a powerhouse both intellectually and physically. So, I'll not address his post, but give it some private thought.

B. Barrena said
Quote:
And all the enlightenment, being a better human and all that stuff usually related to a DO art, well that's just crap.Practicing a martial art doesn't make you a better person. if you want to be a good person, just be.
That is a tall order! Judo saved my life - because my instructor told me not to kill someone who deserved it, but to 'find another way'.

I study aikido now because:

1. it's nearby and affordable
2. it's kin to judo and jujitsu i've done
3. it hurts like hell
4. it makes me angry enough i want to smack the hell out of my training partners.

To elaborate:
3. - My body is broken. Rehab hurts!! So, by facing the pain I face my fear and become a better person.
4. I don't act on my anger at certain training partners. I take my anger to be MY fear turned upside down.

So, I don't know how to be a better person. I use you people to train me. I hope I return the favor.

David