Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
GovernorSilver
Greetings - and a question

Hi everyone!

I've been out of martial arts for a while and want to get back into training. I'm looking at a couple of local Aikido dojo.

I see Ikeda Hiroshi-sensei is coming to my area for a seminar this Feb. If I were to start training next week, and train at the dojo at least 2x a week, would I have enough of a foundation to be a useful training partner for everyone at Ikeda-sensei's seminar?

Thanks in advance,
Paolo
Old 01-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Greetings - and a question

Quote:
Paolo Valladolid wrote: View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been out of martial arts for a while and want to get back into training. I'm looking at a couple of local Aikido dojo.

I see Ikeda Hiroshi-sensei is coming to my area for a seminar this Feb. If I were to start training next week, and train at the dojo at least 2x a week, would I have enough of a foundation to be a useful training partner for everyone at Ikeda-sensei's seminar?

Thanks in advance,
Paolo
I think anybody who can do a basic roll and fall should try attending a seminar or two. Everybody can be a "useful training partner" regardless of age or years of training.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
GovernorSilver

Thanks!

I guess I was just looking for reassurance that I won't be wasting anyone's time at the seminar. On the other hand this visiting Sensei sounds like somebody I shouldn't miss, if there's a training opportunity.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Thanks!

I guess I was just looking for reassurance that I won't be wasting anyone's time at the seminar. On the other hand this visiting Sensei sounds like somebody I shouldn't miss, if there's a training opportunity.
There's that too.....I have found some newbies who seem to pick up what Ikeda Sensei is teaching more readily than some experienced folks who have too many other ingrained habits. Check it out and then come back and report!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Do you have any prior aikido experience? If it's just a matter of dusting off the rust, I would think you'd be ok as long as you train diligently in the meanwhile. If you have no aikido experience, about all you can do in the meanwhile is to try and learn to fall safely enough to get you through the seminar. If so, it's fine if you want to do it, and as long as you've got reasonable expectations of what you are likely to get out of it.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
GovernorSilver

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Do you have any prior aikido experience? If it's just a matter of dusting off the rust, I would think you'd be ok as long as you train diligently in the meanwhile. If you have no aikido experience, about all you can do in the meanwhile is to try and learn to fall safely enough to get you through the seminar. If so, it's fine if you want to do it, and as long as you've got reasonable expectations of what you are likely to get out of it.
I do have a tiny bit, but will probably have to relearn basic footwork. I actually spent more total time at a Hapkido dojang, working on joint locks and throws that looked similar to what I saw in Aikido dojos. I also did a bit of Judo - never progressed enough to throw anybody, but got thrown by all my partners, including teenagers.

Planning to visit a couple of dojo this week, then start training next week.