Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Re: How Do You Do This ... Er, Internal Jump?

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Jun,
I started this thread, but if statisticool (Justin) is going to keep commenting on it, could you please close it? I'd rather not have the thread degenerate further.

Thanks,
Mark
You know this brings up an interesting forum administrative concept. While forum threads take on a life of their own and frequently go in unforeseen directions the originator of the thread does have some say on how the thread progresses. It might not be a bad idea to have a feature that allows the originator of a thread the ability to lock it whenever he/she sees fit. This might eliminate massive thread drift, bickering, etc. Those that want to discuss the thread drift or bicker can start their own thread. I never thought of this until I saw Mark's post but it is an interesting concept.

Of course banning knuckle heads is also a good concept.

Take care,

Mark J.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Thread Starter Locking Own Threads

Hi Mark,

I'll think about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Thread Starter Locking Own Threads

Quote:
Wait a minute! Hold on! I resemble that remark!

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
dps

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote: View Post
You know this brings up an interesting forum administrative concept. While forum threads take on a life of their own and frequently go in unforeseen directions the originator of the thread does have some say on how the thread progresses. It might not be a bad idea to have a feature that allows the originator of a thread the ability to lock it whenever he/she sees fit. This might eliminate massive thread drift, bickering, etc. Those that want to discuss the thread drift or bicker can start their own thread. I never thought of this until I saw Mark's post but it is an interesting concept.

Take care,

Mark J.
This would hinder the free flow of ideas and opinions. Quite often interesting and valuable ideas come from the drift of the thread. If the original poster (OP) had control to lock their thread then you would have a lot of short threads with posters that only agree with the OP.

The OP and any other poster can place any offending poster on the ignore list. This way the OP can ignore those who annoy them and let the rest of us enjoy the conversation. Unless you only wish to see your ideas and opinions expressed here. Then I would suggest putting your own time, energy and money in starting and running your own web site.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote: View Post

Take care,

Mark J.
I've considered this idea before on forums I've run (or helped run). The suggestion amounts to a form of minor moderation on the part of any given user. I don't think it would solve a problem because if you start a thread and don't like what folks say on it then you can just take your ball and go play somewhere else instead of playing the game all other users are playing, the rules of which are set by the forum moderators/owners. Jun is pretty liberal, which is nice. I think there are a variety of tools built into vbulletin that would acheive the sort of effect you're after better than giving users the ability to self moderate threads they start, there is a reputation system where users can award rep points to people for certain posts. There is also an infraction system, both of which might be used before resorting to self-moderation abilities.

In the end IMHO moderating forums is better done by appointed moderators rather than self moderation by users. It just depends on how willing site owners or appointed moderating staff are to get involved in that.

In the end its the culture of the users that make the forum what it is, personally I get sick of all the self-promoting BS I hear from folks and it drives me nuts and elicits unpleasant responses from me in return, so I mostly stay away from aikiweb because of it. I'd prefer that than to lock a thread I started when someone says something I don't like, even if they are just trolling. But thats just me. I think however you'll notice that unlike my occasional rantings, cooler and more sensible heads do just that, they avoid the muck-raking threads in the first instance, maybe I'm just getting too old for arguing with people who don't want to listen and I'm finally learning, by god it took a while...

Just my 2pence.

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr