Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia
Too isolated for aikido - advice please!

Hi, there's something taking up my headspace atm that I'd love some collective wisdom for. Thanks heaps in advance.

I'm currently in my last year of studying teaching at university, after next year I'm planning to go out to the country to teach (where the most demand is for teaching in Australia). The thing is, the places I'd like to teach are quite isolated, I may get allocated to a town hours away from any major city.

I really love doing aikido, but I'm very concerned that there won't be a dojo anywhere near. As I can see it I've got several options:
  • Drive (up to 5 hours, depending)
  • Start a dojo (Just passed my grading, woohoo! Bringing me to 5th Kyu, not so practical for this)
  • Drop it for several years, maybe visit my dojo a couple times a year
  • Start another discipline that might be more common and (hopefully) would contribute to my aikido when I move back to the city (Judo??)
  • ________________ (???)
I know Youtube's a great resource for learning and teaching, there are such incredible resources on there. If I needed to start a place we might even be able to weblink. But. How far can I go in 16 months? I'm nowhere near the dan-standard that I've found on dojo websites. How can I take leadership and live like such a hypocrite when I can barely find my feet?

I am stuck.

The world changes when you do.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Too isolated for aikido - advice please!

Selin,
Talk to your teacher once you know where you will be assigned. He or she may know of someone there, or perhaps could give you some advice as to which path might work. Generally at 5th Kyu, you probably haven't the chops to open your own dojo. I know some folks in this area who are primarily karateka and have an interest in kenjutsu. None of them have any rank or real experience in kenjutsu, so they formed a study group and became affiliated with a qualified teacher several hours away. Once a month they visit the teacher for a day-long session and come back and work on what they were taught as a group a couple of times a week. That probably isn't the optimum way to learn, but it is a way.

Again, talk to your teacher and he can guide you in the most practical direction.

And if Aussie kids are like American kids, stay where you are, get a godan in at least five arts, and then go teach the little beggers. Good luck!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
aikidoaddict
Dojo: Aikido Alliance Australia Inc.
Australia

Quote:
Selin Talay wrote: View Post
Hi, there's something taking up my headspace atm that I'd love some collective wisdom for. Thanks heaps in advance.

I'm currently in my last year of studying teaching at university, after next year I'm planning to go out to the country to teach (where the most demand is for teaching in Australia). The thing is, the places I'd like to teach are quite isolated, I may get allocated to a town hours away from any major city.

I really love doing aikido, but I'm very concerned that there won't be a dojo anywhere near. As I can see it I've got several options:
  • Drive (up to 5 hours, depending)
  • Start a dojo (Just passed my grading, woohoo! Bringing me to 5th Kyu, not so practical for this)
  • Drop it for several years, maybe visit my dojo a couple times a year
  • Start another discipline that might be more common and (hopefully) would contribute to my aikido when I move back to the city (Judo??)
  • ________________ (???)
I know Youtube's a great resource for learning and teaching, there are such incredible resources on there. If I needed to start a place we might even be able to weblink. But. How far can I go in 16 months? I'm nowhere near the dan-standard that I've found on dojo websites. How can I take leadership and live like such a hypocrite when I can barely find my feet?

I am stuck.
Hi Lin
Terry Hills Dojo, is it with Paul Sinkinson Sensei? He was the second in charge of the Dojo where I first started my personal Aikido journey back in Auckland, New Zealand. He was actually the best man at my wedding, and is also a good personal friend for life. It looks like you will be a bit out of the way for a while, but keep practicing in your head, and also with any friend that is willing to be used by you. Also check out my website below and keep in touch, maybe I can be of some help from time to time.
http://www.aikidoka.co/
Best regards
Paul
Who am I?
I started my Aikido journey back in the 70's, and am still loving it.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
LinTal
Australia

Sounds like solid advice - my first day assisting in my current first grade class, the kids decided to "adopt" me. You have no idea how strong 15 pairs of tiny hands can be as they drag you around the playground.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
LinTal
Australia

Quote:
Paul Araki-Metcalfe wrote: View Post
Hi Lin
Terry Hills Dojo, is it with Paul Sinkinson Sensei? He was the second in charge of the Dojo where I first started my personal Aikido journey back in Auckland, New Zealand. He was actually the best man at my wedding, and is also a good personal friend for life. It looks like you will be a bit out of the way for a while, but keep practicing in your head, and also with any friend that is willing to be used by you. Also check out my website below and keep in touch, maybe I can be of some help from time to time.
http://www.aikidoka.co/
Best regards
Paul
Who am I?
I started my Aikido journey back in the 70's, and am still loving it.
Hi Paul, that's him! Incredible, it's such a tiny world sometimes.
Thank you, your offer is very very much appreciated. Thanks also to Michael, that suggestion is such a relief!