Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
booyaa
Canada
Off nights - is it just me?

Today is the day after my off night! I dont mean taking the night off, i mean i totally didnt get anything last night.

Basics that I know how to do, just weren't happening last night... im hoping that others have this too. I couldnt believe that i forgot simple moves like omote and ura ( i kept doing ura when i was suppose to do omote )

At least i knew what nikkyo was, that was my saving grace!

I know my tenkans suck, but last night i learned because my hamstrings are too tight, i cant do a proper tenkan, the way my sensei wants me too. He wants me to stretch my leg back more, yet i cant or else ill pull a muscle.

I guess in retrospect I did learn some things last night, I learned on my off nights, i am not there both mentally and physically.

Here is hoping that thurs night will bring a better training session.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: Off nights - is it just me?

I don't know how long you've been training, but in my experience you'll always keep having off nights every now and then. Last year I had a bit of an off year... Better learn to enjoy them.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 05-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Its TOTALLY normal.
Sometimes for reasons....never discovered.
Often, because there is a normal disconnect/time lag between body and mind in terms of integrating stuff.
In terms of hamstrings, there may be chronic imbalances between your quads and hamstrings causing your pelvis to be pulled and worsening the hamstrings tightness, or it may come from tight Achilles tendons and plantar issues - you may want to check with a PT or athletic trainer or myofascial therapist.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
jennyvanwest

Dojo: Aikido of ME
United_States

Most definitely. They aren't fun but they are certainly good for humility, and I sometimes wonder if I'm not learning on a different level by being so confused I can't think.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Sorry Jeremy, but it's just you! The rest of us gods of aikido inhabiting aikiweb do not have "off nights", that is merely a justification for the weak and dilettante and you should scourge yourself mercilessly for even daring to have a less than perfect training.

The true student of aikido has off weeks, off months, even off years or decades! Due to this typical myopic Western obsession with short periods of time such as a single night we see the increasing signs of a declining dojo culture in aikido with obsessive hakama folding on a worrying increase and even reports of coloured lineage charts being passed between kyu grades after training.

Just remember, what would KP do (assuming your user name is a reference, and yes I am rather sad to recognize it)
Old 05-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

To paraphrase the late great Jazz pianist Oscar Peterson
"We all play bum notes but the trick is not letteing the audience hear them"
Old 05-31-2007, 05:05 AM   #7
crbateman

You aren't going to knock one out of the park every single night. Nobody is that good. But it is good that you attempt to gain from it by trying to figure out what it was that brought it about. Not in an obsessive way, but in a constructive one. It could be any of a million different things, maybe the same one every time, or maybe a different one each time. You may find that the more you practice, in a relaxed yet focused manner, the less often this will happen. But it will still happen from time to time, so don't be too hard on yourself. As for the hamstrings, work out some stretching exercises for before and after practice, and your flexibility will improve. Relax. Reach. Empty. Fill. Breathe. Train. Enjoy.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
Kieran Barrett

Dojo: Midleton Aikido Club
Ireland

Jeremy, you need to relax and realise to err is human....it is from our mistakes that we learn...is sounds like your sensei wants you to do things that you recognise you cannot, Aiki is about blending with yourself as well as your Uke....

Smile and think happy thoughts...good luck training tonight..let us know how you got on!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
Taliesin

Off-Nights???

You're looking at things the wrong way round. Nobody has off-nights - we all have very rare ON Nights when things go right.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
David Chalk wrote: View Post
Off-Nights???

You're looking at things the wrong way round. Nobody has off-nights - we all have very rare ON Nights when things go right.
I like that.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:58 AM   #11
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote: View Post
Due to this typical myopic Western obsession with short periods of time such as a single night we see the increasing signs of a declining dojo culture in aikido with obsessive hakama folding on a worrying increase and even reports of coloured lineage charts being passed between kyu grades after training.
Ha-ha.
I think you are right Ian.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
Murgen
United_States

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote: View Post
coloured lineage charts being passed between kyu grades after training.
What exactly is that!? Just curious. Is it showing the lineage from O'sensei all the way down to the kyu grades in the dojo? Sounds really weird.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
booyaa
Canada

thanks for all the comments, they are great. I especially had a good chuckle from Ian, that really made me laugh out loud.

From now on im going to look at the nights im doing things well as the rarity!

Since I have only been in it for 3 months, i still have lots to learn, so its all good!!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

its the nights that everythng makes crystal clear sense that worry me!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #15
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote: View Post
its the nights that everythng makes crystal clear sense that worry me!
Why is that, or is this purely jest?

Those nights are typically (for me) remarkable milestones of learning and awareness when my understanding and ability are well matched.

I haven't had one of those in ages.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 05-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Its partially true and partially jest.
Unfortunately I'm not well right now and rather brain dead so I really can't elaborate any further!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #17
ElizabethCastor

Dojo: Castle Rock Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Since I have only been in it for 3 months, i still have lots to learn, so its all good!!!!
Man!!! 3 months! sheesh 3 months in I was still very unsure of my footwork let alone omote and ura. AND I kept apologizing every time I threw someone on the ground REALLY. NO JOKE.

Plus, I am a little like Jo, I get a little wary/on edge/cautious if everything goes perfect. Mostly because I don't want to assume that I have it "perfected." I kind of remind myself to take mental notes on WHY everything is sync-ing up so well. That way I have my observations built up. Not really out of fear of screwing up but knowing how a technique feels in my body instead of how X Sensei or Y Sensei describes it to me. Also, so that I am not so hard on myself when that "bad day" happens... if I assume I got it then have a bad day I tend to get tough on myself, unnecessarily.

Lastly, I find "bad days" a little enlightening. I try to reflect on what my brain was focusing on instead of aikido. I learned a lot about my daily habits from this.

Enjoy!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #18
antonis paps

Greece

Quote:
Jeremy Cassidy wrote: View Post
Today is the day after my off night! I dont mean taking the night off, i mean i totally didnt get anything last night.

Basics that I know how to do, just weren't happening last night... im hoping that others have this too. I couldnt believe that i forgot simple moves like omote and ura ( i kept doing ura when i was suppose to do omote )

At least i knew what nikkyo was, that was my saving grace!

I know my tenkans suck, but last night i learned because my hamstrings are too tight, i cant do a proper tenkan, the way my sensei wants me too. He wants me to stretch my leg back more, yet i cant or else ill pull a muscle.

I guess in retrospect I did learn some things last night, I learned on my off nights, i am not there both mentally and physically.

Here is hoping that thurs night will bring a better training session.
Do not worry

I hear this all the time by other people in the dojo.

I even feel sometimes that I was really crap

I guess everyone is allowed to be, or feel he was crap,

once, or twice or, lots and lots of times

hehe

Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ , What Flows, Is.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #19
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States

Everyone has their off days! I had one about 3 weeks ago, I felt like I couldn't do anything right! I kept hitting my head doing foward rolls! I am actually good at those too!

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha