Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #201
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States
Re: Strength vs Ki.

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
I think people have entertained this Tony Wagstaffe troll for too long.
He does have videos though, yet I haven't seen much discussion of them.

I don't intend any slight to anyone who doesn't have videos up for discussion.

Last edited by HL1978 : 06-16-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #202
akiy

Hi folks,

Can you please direct your discussion to the topic rather than to the people behind the topic? Let's stay away from making things personal here.

Also, as this discussion is in the "Spiritual" aspects of aikido forum, can you please make sure to explicitly include the topic of aikido within your discussions?

Thank you,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #203
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I simply cannot believe anyone is going on and on about Chiba as someone great. I mean, okay he's got pretty decent aikido, but one of the greats? Come one guys. He wouldn't list himself as great either.
And for the naysayers. Chiba, Ikeda, and Saotome know what I am doing. Each has noted the changes in certain students and has told them they needed to keep training this. One has noticed the change in so many people that he has asked to meet me.
Why any of this causes such a stir is amazing to me. If you don't like it fine. Have a nice life, but it is becoming a movement within the art, with more and more people realizing it ...is...Aikido.

You can't logically (not that logic has stopped anyone here) holler about "each being let alone to do what they want"...and then bitching when a whole bunch of teachers and students are excited to be switching over and doing something you're not. They were all where you are. They are not stupid, and yes...they know the difference. You can't explain away Ikeda's decades on the mats and tell him he doesn't get it. You cannot explain away Gleasons 45 yrs on the mats and tell him he is being conned. Who can tell Ledyard he can't tell the difference between what he was doing and what he has now felt? Now add other SHihan and a host of mid level teachers. How are you going to explain away their own teachers feeling the difference ...in them.
You can't. When you try, it just sounds like sour grapes.
Worse when the responses degenerate into a level equal to school yard name calling. This latest turn by a few people here, accusing those teaching Ip/aiki of immoral, and almost criminal, acts perpetrated on unsuspecting Aikido-ka -while oddly absurd- shouldn't be tolerated. The fact that it is, says something about the attitude of the community willing to accept it.
Hanna made a compelling point; that it is getting to be a bit much, that it seems its all we are hearing. Her and I have corresponded and I am divided on the issue myself. I don't like seeing people angry over it. But the exitement that many feel is also overwhelming to them. One Shihan said what I have heard echoed many times across the country and across the pond: "I feel I am finally catching on to my first love, what drew me to aikido in the first place. This is what I was hoping for in the art, why I went to Japan, and the art didn't deliver on its promise." For them it is a very profound experience they are going through and they are seeing how it can power their aikido. They are greatly enjoying that.
As one person said,
"Why does it have to be such a big deal?"
"Because it IS a big deal!"

So during this time, it is difficult for it not to be a topic of conversation since it is so very fundamental to the art itself.
Dan
I have a question for Dan as he is so convinced of his own "ability"
How do you rate in your I/P terms people such as Shioda, Tomiki, Shirata, Chiba, Shimizu and a host of Ueshiba's deshi? As they all practised judo or aikido at some point in their lives. I am very interested in your comments as I'm sure everyone else will be to......
Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #204
akiy

Once again:

Can you please direct your discussion to the topic rather than to the people behind the topic? Let's stay away from making things personal here.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #205
PhillyKiAikido

Dojo: Philadelphia Ki-Aikido / New Jersey Ki Society
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Hi Ting,

First, I am not a Sensei - I am just another guy doing aiki that is willing to share what I know with others of a like mind
Thanks Greg! I thought that was the exact definition of the word "sensei".

Quote:
Second, I am not sure what you mean between styles. Tohei's model is a style of Aikido that teaches ki development and technical waza. What Dan is teaching is not a style nor is there any waza taught. All he is doing is teaching body conditioning for the development of internal strength via solo exercises and paired drills. The use of ki/qi/intent is important for the success of the exercises, but Dan does not really teach its development - he will give pointers on how to do it, but it is not his main focus.
Sorry, I'm confused here. Here you said "Tohei ... teaches ki development...Dan...teaching body conditioning for the development of internal strength ... Dan does not really teach its(Ki) development". So I guess here you meant "ki" is NOT the same thing as "internal strength", they are two different things, right? If yes, what are the definitions of "Ki" and "internal strength"?

Quote:
However, this is where Tohei's ki development can compliment what Dan is doing. The application of Tohei's four principles of mind and body coordination is an excellent start for learning internal skills - internal strength just can not happen without a coordinated mind and body. However, it is just the crucial first step in the development of internal skills - Tohei never took his model to the next step, but Dan has.
Since I've never been to Mr Harden's seminars, could you please talk a little more details about the definition of "step"?

Do you mean it's the application of Ki to build our bodies?

Mr. Mike Sigman wrote a blog "Baseline Parameters for Internal Strength" http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19910, is it the same "I/S" that you talked about?

Some years ago Ikeda sensei's students wrote a book "Center: The Power of Aikido" http://www.amazon.com/Center-Power-A...8252023&sr=1-1 and they called Ikeda sensei's training methodology the "Second Level Training(SLT)", is this the same thing as the "next step" you talked about?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm trying to figure out what we're talking about here. Please feel free to PM me if it's not convenient to talk about it in the thread. I appreciate to discuss Aiki(do) with you.

Ting

P.S. I wish I can get a chance to attend some IS seminars in the future to experience it myself.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #206
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Ting Piao wrote: View Post

Sorry, I'm confused here. Here you said "Tohei ... teaches ki development...Dan...teaching body conditioning for the development of internal strength ... Dan does not really teach its(Ki) development". So I guess here you meant "ki" is NOT the same thing as "internal strength", they are two different things, right? If yes, what are the definitions of "Ki" and "internal strength"?

Since I've never been to Mr Harden's seminars, could you please talk a little more details about the definition of "step"?

Mr. Mike Sigman wrote a blog "Baseline Parameters for Internal Strength" http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19910, is it the same "I/S" that you talked about?

Some years ago Ikeda sensei's students wrote a book "Center: The Power of Aikido" http://www.amazon.com/Center-Power-A...8252023&sr=1-1 and they called Ikeda sensei's training methodology the "Second Level Training(SLT)", is this the same thing as the "next step" you talked about?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm trying to figure out what we're talking about here. Please feel free to PM me if it's not convenient to talk about it in the thread. I appreciate to discuss Aiki(do) with you.

Ting

P.S. I wish I can get a chance to attend some IS seminars in the future to experience it myself.
Ting:

Dan Harden is planning on visiting Greg sometime this summer. If that is not an open event, Dan will be back at my place 9/9-9/11. Details to follow soon. I strongly urge you to make effort to attend a seminar by someone who can teach IS. My own personal experiences have led me to make a dedicated effort to learn as much as I can from Dan. He has an excellent teaching methodology, combined with a great sense of humor. He is very skilled and has a great attitude toward sharing his experiences with others while supporting their efforts as well.

The differences and similarities that you are trying to process will become a lot clearer after getting some hands-on experience.

Cordially,

Marc Abrams
Old 06-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #207
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Face it though, Dan, it's not surprising your message is hard to hear. Look at Henry's last message... you gonna tell someone with years and years of experience on the mat that he's missed something fundamental?

Well... yes, you are. Of course there's some angst.

I do think some of the accusations have been unacceptable, but really only from two posters. I might have jumped to your defense, but it seemed unnecessary. People expose themselves and anyway, when the minnow leaps to defend the shark... the shark just smiles.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #208
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:

Ting

Hi Ting,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply - I am kinda in the middle of something right now and will get back to you a little later with detailed answers and comments to your post.

Best

Greg
Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #209
DH
United_States

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Face it though, Dan, it's not surprising your message is hard to hear. Look at Henry's last message... you gonna tell someone with years and years of experience on the mat that he's missed something fundamental?
Well... yes, you are. Of course there's some angst.
Hi Hugh
Lately it is the people with years and years in, now telling others.
You guys have gotten me passionate about sharing. The reason is the look on your faces when you feel me and then you start to do things. Looking in to the eyes of someone who has been at this game for a very long time and seeing them do things they didn't think they could...and then....watching their wheels turn as they put two and tow together, is very fulfilling.
On the net, I only go to a point though, you can't push.

Quote:
I do think some of the accusations have been unacceptable, but really only from two posters. I might have jumped to your defense, but it seemed unnecessary. People expose themselves and anyway, when the minnow leaps to defend the shark... the shark just smiles.
I have seen debates here, But I've never read the level of scorn and hatred in the type comments that have been made against me.
Between three people, I've now been called a liar, con man and a criminal on Aikiweb, and it is apparently okay to do so.
I have also learned that I am not allowed to defend myself or I am one and the same. So I just have to sit and take it.

So, what have you gathered from the idea that Ki...was strength in the first place. Long before new age westerners tried to re-define it?
Do you understand more and starting to feel the idea of intent leading ki and ki leading strength?
All the best
Dan
Old 06-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #210
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Oh well. Glad to hear ip is so superior to Toheis understanding. Oh not forgetting O'Senseis too.

What a farce.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #211
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Oh well. Glad to hear ip is so superior to Toheis understanding. Oh not forgetting O'Senseis too.

What a farce.
This post seems a little at odds with the concept of loving that you normally say is your understanding and expression of aikido Graham, why has your approach changed?

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile
Old 06-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #212
graham christian
England

Quote:
Rich Hobbs wrote: View Post
This post seems a little at odds with the concept of loving that you normally say is your understanding and expression of aikido Graham, why has your approach changed?
Good question if for real.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #213
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Ting:

Dan Harden is planning on visiting Greg sometime this summer. If that is not an open event, Dan will be back at my place 9/9-9/11. Details to follow soon. I strongly urge you to make effort to attend a seminar by someone who can teach IS. My own personal experiences have led me to make a dedicated effort to learn as much as I can from Dan. He has an excellent teaching methodology, combined with a great sense of humor. He is very skilled and has a great attitude toward sharing his experiences with others while supporting their efforts as well.

The differences and similarities that you are trying to process will become a lot clearer after getting some hands-on experience.

Cordially,

Marc Abrams
Ting,

The next semi-open event I will have with Dan will be sometime in November or early December - have not set a date yet.

However, with that said, I am having a training session this Saturday at my place in Lancaster county with five of us that has trained with Dan before as well as a couple of newbies. You are only a couple hours away and if you are interested, send me a private email and I will give you more detail.

DISCLAIMER: The above invite shall not be construed in any manner to be a marketing ploy or any other type of commercial solicitation - there is no cost for the training and only a small donation for the group lunch will be encouraged (only if you like the lunch)

Greg
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #214
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:

What a farce.
I don't care much whether anybody understands a little or a lot - what really matters is what they can teach me, how they can make me better.

Morihei Ueshiba was mostly incomprehensible to his students - by their own admission. Most of them didn't understand how they got what they got and had less idea of how to pass it along.

It's not hard to see - who of Ueshiba's students measured up to Ueshiba? Of their students, who measured up to them? What you get is a deteriorating spiral unless some new factor is added to the equation.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #215
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Ting,

The next semi-open event I will have with Dan will be sometime in November or early December - have not set a date yet.

However, with that said, I am having a training session this Saturday at my place in Lancaster county with five of us that has trained with Dan before as well as a couple of newbies. You are only a couple hours away and if you are interested, send me a private email and I will give you more detail.

DISCLAIMER: The above invite shall not be construed in any manner to be a marketing ploy or any other type of commercial solicitation - there is no cost for the training and only a small donation for the group lunch will be encouraged (only if you like the lunch)

Greg
Hey! I was going to sell him a trip to Hawaii .

Best,

Chris

Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #216
gregstec
United_States

Quote:

What a farce.
Graham,

You and I have been cordial and I will continue that here. However, your post has no merit. You (as well as others) would be somewhat surprised at how close Dan's view of ki matches Tohei's - the differences lies strictly in the application and the extent of application.

Greg
Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #217
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Hey! I was going to sell him a trip to Hawaii .

Best,

Chris
Hi Chris,

I would love to buy a trip out to see your guys (if I could afford it) My Aikido roots are part of your organization - I initially studied under David H. Kalama in the mid 70's, who was chief instructor of the Marianas Aiki Kwai in Guam; which was a sub-set of the Hawaii Aiki Kwai

Greg
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #218
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ting,

Greg
Dear Greg,
I am interested in your comment about Tohei Sensei reaching a certain level of Ki/I.P development, You then make the statement that mr Harden has taken the concept one step beyond Tohei sensei.On what basis do you make this assertion? Have you trained /studied directly with Tohei Sensei? If so , was it recently ?Are you competent enough to make comparisons?I say this since I am not familiar with your aikido lineage .Can you explain why you believe Mr Harden reached another level? I await your reply with much interest. Hope you are well, Cheers, Joe.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #219
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Hi Chris,

I would love to buy a trip out to see your guys (if I could afford it) My Aikido roots are part of your organization - I initially studied under David H. Kalama in the mid 70's, who was chief instructor of the Marianas Aiki Kwai in Guam; which was a sub-set of the Hawaii Aiki Kwai

Greg
Things have gotten pretty fragmented since then - the Hawaii Aiki Kwai is defunct and the dojo are all pretty much independent or affiliated directly to Japan.

Still, you're welcome anytime!

Best,

Chris

Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #220
graham christian
England

Quote:
I don't care much whether anybody understands a little or a lot - what really matters is what they can teach me, how they can make me better.

Morihei Ueshiba was mostly incomprehensible to his students - by their own admission. Most of them didn't understand how they got what they got and had less idea of how to pass it along.

It's not hard to see - who of Ueshiba's students measured up to Ueshiba? Of their students, who measured up to them? What you get is a deteriorating spiral unless some new factor is added to the equation.

Best,

Chris
Well there you are Chris, there's one difference between you and me. I do care much thus all I can do is look at such accompanying misplaced statements with sadness.

To me on first glance your attitude therefore is selfish however I may be wrong to a degree so let's leave it as self determined instead.

Morehei Ueshiba was mostly incomprehensible to his students. Now there's a classic line. To many he also wasn't incomprehensible. Both statements are true. Can you not see that 'by their own admission' is a self evident truth. Anyone who finds someone incomprehensible obviously admits to it. Funny how those who don't say that are never discussed at the same time.

You're right in that for some it's not hard to see who measured up and those that did obviously produced better students. No deteriorating spiral there.

Only those who believe that line of thought given in such vague terms would believe such.

As I said, sad.

Regards.G.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #221
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Well there you are Chris, there's one difference between you and me. I do care much thus all I can do is look at such accompanying misplaced statements with sadness.

To me on first glance your attitude therefore is selfish however I may be wrong to a degree so let's leave it as self determined instead.

Morehei Ueshiba was mostly incomprehensible to his students. Now there's a classic line. To many he also wasn't incomprehensible. Both statements are true. Can you not see that 'by their own admission' is a self evident truth. Anyone who finds someone incomprehensible obviously admits to it. Funny how those who don't say that are never discussed at the same time.

You're right in that for some it's not hard to see who measured up and those that did obviously produced better students. No deteriorating spiral there.

Only those who believe that line of thought given in such vague terms would believe such.

As I said, sad.

Regards.G.
Well, if you think in terms of evaluating someone as a teacher, then it makes all kinds of sense - how is it selfish?

If you think that someone who ought to be discussed isn't - why not bring then up?

Then - who did he produce that was better than he was?

Best,

Chris

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #222
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:

Best,

Chris
DearChris,
What is causing the downward spiral in Aikido [apart from a few
groups] is the commercialism of the art.Another factor is social trends.People do not as a rule want to train in a manner that was common to people like Saito Sensei.Who nowadays trains in suwariwaza until their knees bleed and scab over?No Aikido is now in my opinion being touted as a therapy,health promoting/
spiritual /philosophical /universal panacea.Rarely do we see it as a Martial discipline.In fact in todays society with certain few exceptions [the military, law enforcement, pugilist, muggers] there is very little in the way of warlike situations in general.
Dan grades [once a rarity]are now dished out willy nilly like confetti.Some guys even print the own certificates.It also doesnt help when the aikido community as a whole is littered with a whole barrage of aikido organisations.Aikido unifying people -in a pigs ear!We cannot even discuss subjects on this forum without the occasional bit of slagging off.Oh well -I live in hope.
Cheers, Joe
Old 06-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #223
graham christian
England

Quote:
Graham,

You and I have been cordial and I will continue that here. However, your post has no merit. You (as well as others) would be somewhat surprised at how close Dan's view of ki matches Tohei's - the differences lies strictly in the application and the extent of application.

Greg
Greg.
Your view is my post has no merit, your opinion. Put in such a way as a statement IS dismissive.

You believe his views are close to Toheis? O.k. Such is your belief. You are spot on when you say I would be somewhat surprised.

In my experience when a persons views are similar then comments about them are respectful, full of admiration, very validatory and humble. ESPECIALLY when that person is in all respects far longer serving, far more experienced and is the renowned expert on that particular subject in that particular field, namely Aikido.

That doesn't mean I disrespect you it means due to my view and the examples given I disagree with your view.

Regards.G.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #224
gregstec
United_States

Quote:

Ting

OK Ting, got a little time now for some comments.

Quote:

Let me just rephrase and add some clarification on this. Yes, Dan does teach ki development, it is part of his conditioning teaching. However, it may not be the type of Ki some may believe in. To clarify, Yi (mind) leads Intent, which leads Qi (ki) which leads Li (strength/power) - Tohei also taught Mind leads ki and ki leads body - this is a similar approach. However, the difference is that Tohei also taught ki development in more than one application - he taught it in his waza, use in daily life, and in kiatsu. Dan's approach is simply in the development of internal strength and he adds more to this area than Tohei did - this is the next 'step' - make sense?

Quote:
All I am going to say in this area is that Dan and Mike has some similarities in their approaches and there are also differences - also the only thing that is 100% agreed upon by all is that if you mix the two, there will be a combustible event - best not to go there

Quote:
Sorry, I am not familiar with the book so I cannot comment. However, I have trained with Ikeda and he is always looking at the next 'step' - nothing is more constant than change

I hope I was able to answer your questions somewhat satisfactorily.

Greg
Old 06-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #225
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Things have gotten pretty fragmented since then - the Hawaii Aiki Kwai is defunct and the dojo are all pretty much independent or affiliated directly to Japan.

Still, you're welcome anytime!

Best,

Chris
Thanks for the invite - you may just be seeing me coming over the horizon sometime in the next year or so