Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: To what extent is how tired you get in your aikido training under your control?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 3, 2005:

To what extent is how tired you get in your aikido training under your control?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Entirely under your control
  • Very much under your control
  • Somewhat under your control
  • Not very under your control
  • Not at all under your control
Here are the current results.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
Re: Poll: To what extent is how tired you get in your aikido training under your control?

Again, it depends. I try to go all out, and how tired I get depends on what the teacher is presenting that class.

Jeanne
Old 07-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Re: Poll: To what extent is how tired you get in your aikido training under your control?

I can keep myself from getting tired if i do everything halfway , or if i refuse to do nothing at all. Basically what i saying is , that in my dojo , as long as u are doing what my sensei says to do , there is no way u wont go home tired.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

I voted not at all since in my dojo, the training is geared to push people's limits everytime we train. Then again, we are shodothugs the lot of us: pain is weakness leaving your body and sweat is lazyness pouring out of your body -- to paraphrase another poster on another thread...

Know your limit and always train a little harder.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

My English is really damned bad.
I entered the discussion, because I did not really understand the question. Something was wrong.
Paige's reply brought me to the idea but I had to read it 3 times again to get it
"To what extend is it under your control, how tired you get in your aikido training?"
And I thought, making sentences difficult was typical for German. Especially for those German, who had some Latin classes.

Usually I am exhausted, at least at the end of the training and I should be able to get it under my control, right breathing, doing the exercises fluently but without hectic, etc.

But after the training, sitting in the train to get home, I am not tired at all. At least much less than going home directly after work without training.

Dirk
Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
cck

Not very much under my control in the sense that I don't choose the techniques we practice and how we practice them. Some days we will hardly break a sweat, and on other days it's all throws and you end up gasping like a fish out of water. What gets me is usually not being nage, it's having to get up again every time I am thrown. So, exponentially, the more throws we do, the more I have to get up and down and run back at my partner = quite exhausted. It does help with breathing, though - once I'm worked over, my only check is to control my breathing. Now, if I could just do that proactively...
Old 07-07-2005, 04:09 AM   #7
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

I'd say it's very much under my control. It's my responsibility to eat so I have sufficient energy to train, to drink so I am hydrated, and to learn economy of movement so I can do more with what energy I have.

Ruth
Old 07-07-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:
I'd say it's very much under my control. It's my responsibility to eat so I have sufficient energy to train, to drink so I am hydrated, and to learn economy of movement so I can do more with what energy I have.

Ruth
Good point, in a bigger picture sort of way.
If I remember to drink enough during the day and eat properly and get enough sleep it has a tremendous impact.

Jeanne
Old 07-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

I show up, I train, I get tired.

I'm 40 years old - Isn't that supposed to happen?

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 07-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
charron
Dojo: Jiyushinkai

Only if that is what youexpect to happen!