Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #76
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Sensei Steven Seagal's ?

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
sorry chris li ... i think he was awarded it so he would have authority to open a dojo in okinawa, but I believe he also recognized sensei's ability since he had been training very directly with osensei and tohei sensei for quite a while...
this is my last post here for sure...
Well, he didn't get to Japan until 1961 (after 5 or so years of training in Hawaii until he enlisted in 1958, during which Tohei was there only occasionally), then he opened his dojo in Okinawa in 1962 at the age of 21, so at the time that the certificate was issued he'd had at most 9 years of training, with no more than 1 year or so of that under Morihei Ueshiba (who wasn't even in Tokyo full time, and wasn't all that active when he was). I'm sure that he was good, but 21 is pretty young, and 9 years isn't very much - especially compared to a lot of the other students who came out of that era without menkyo kaiden.

Best,

Chris

Old 01-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #77
tenshinaikidoka

Dojo: Tri-City Aikido Richland, Wa.
United_States

Mr Neal,

Reynosa was a Sandan when he FIRST met Seagal. After 11 years of training WITH SEAGAL, he was promoted to Sandan. Why? Well, you cannot unrank someone and then rerank them within the Aikikai. So he was not promoted from beginer to Yondan in 11 years, Reynosa had already studied prior to Seagal arriving in L.A. Also, 2001 Reynosa broke ties with Seagal, probably due to Seagal making more movies than training or having anything to do with his students in Aikido. Reynosa was with Seagal for some 17 years (I beleive) and is now a Godan. Reynosa has been in Aikido over 30 years, so his rank is certainly beleivable, and maybe he is even underranked given his abilities. But, this is of course, my opinion.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:39 PM   #78
tenshinaikidoka

United_States

Ok, the above shoud say "promoted to Yondan" not promoted to Sandan!! LOL
Old 01-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #79
James Smithe

Dojo: undisclosed location
United_States

For all you Segall buttkissers don't forget to buy his super juice.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:59 AM   #80
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Hey Jam Smythe, Nice name you have.

/J

Jakob Blomquist
Old 01-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #81
Mike Fugate
Dojo: The School of Two Styles
United_States
Exclamation Re: Sensei Steven Seagal's ?

Quote:
.. kind of full of himself and his knowledge of aikido and other esoteric practices. In some ways he falls into the category of those teachers that tend to overly mystify or hype their knowledge or skill as somehow better than others,

I dont think Seagal is full of himself at all. If your good, your good. No way around it, and by insulting someone for being full of himself because of media BS is crazy. Unless you plan on training with him or his students I dont get this topic at all. Go to his simenars, he isnt impossible to locate, go to him and ask if these allegations are true or not.
Here is a paste from an interview when asked about his "master" stutus.....Full of himself? You be the judge....
Stanley Weiser: First off, can you tell our readers a little bit about your background in the art of aikido—how long you trained, who your teachers were, when you attained the status of a master?
Steven Seagal: Well, the title of master—on paper—is something that I probably received in the early eighties. I still don't believe that I have attained the level of being a master. Maybe some other people think I am a master, but in my mind I am certainly not.

Last edited by akiy : 07-13-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

"When you cease to strive to understand, then you will know without understanding." -- Caine
Old 01-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #82
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

post # 52 i shall post no more let this thread die...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #83
neaikikai
Dojo: New England Aikikai
United_States

Steven Seagal came to our dojo in the mid 80's to meet Kanai Shihan and pay his respects and have a private lesson. After some time his wording offended Sensei and he was asked to leave the dojo. He would call over the years but Sensei's mind was made up and never really warmed up to him, for what it is worth. You would have had to know Kanai sensei, he was very humble, very low key and maybe that was the difference.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #84
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Michael DiFronzo wrote:
Steven Seagal came to our dojo in the mid 80's to meet Kanai Shihan and pay his respects and have a private lesson. After some time his wording offended Sensei and he was asked to leave the dojo.
Mr. DiFronzo,
Interesting story. While you provide little in the way of any details, I am wondering - where you there? If not, from whom did you hear this story? Were they actually there? See, I am just wondering how many people were in the room at this "private" lesson... or if this was just the story that got repeated later. Perhaps things got exaggerated over time...?
Quote:
Michael DiFronzo wrote:
He would call over the years but Sensei's mind was made up and never really warmed up to him, for what it is worth. You would have had to know Kanai sensei, he was very humble, very low key and maybe that was the difference.
I personally find this part suspect due to things I have heard over the years. Of course, anything is possible, including that perhaps Seagal Sensei was questioning several of the openings he might have seen in Kanai Sensei's techniques... While I am sure this might be "offensive" to Kanai Sensei, I somehow would more easily believe that Kanai Sensei might not have liked the effect his techniques had on Seagal Sensei. Okay, I actually find the whole idea of Seagal Sensei meeting Kanai Sensei to show his respect or get a private lesson very suspect, very suspect, indeed.

I will ask Matsuoka Sensei about this when we next speak. He would certainly remember having to cover Seagal Sensei's classes while he was out of town, as Seagal Sensei would have still been teaching full time during those years. Although, since it has never been mentioned or even rumored... well, I would love to hear from anyone that was in the room at the time as to what, exactly was said by each party...

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #85
Edwin Neal
United_States

okay you guys just keep sucking me back into it... I have heard the Kanai sensei story too, and the gene lebell and francis fong and other stories from what i would consider reputable sources... i do not personally know sensei seagal so i don't know if his "abrasiveness" is just misunderstood or not...
but based on my post #52 (you gotta watch the video) well I do lean a little toward believing the sources and not the defenders.

Edwin Neal

Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #86
neaikikai
Dojo: New England Aikikai
United_States

I know you don't know me, and I understand that people in life lie, or take information and run with it. I was not there, I have only studied with Kanai sensei for 5 years, but, I have become very close to sensei and his family. His sr. students were there when he was asked to leave, and when he called several times to speak to Steven Seagal and Kanai sensei wanted no part of it. I will not give the names of these students until I run it by them and they give me permision, but these are very, very respected 6th dan's in the USAF and have been part of Kanai sensei's dojo for 25- 30 years. I don't know what to tell you. As I said, you don't know me but I honor and love Kanai sensei too much to ever put lies next to his name, he was my sensei. Also, this disagreement had nothing to do with technique, it was all about personality. I am not here to badmouth Steven Seagal, just wanted to give a true story. Sensei never publically bad mouthed anyone. I know you people don't know me but, the source is rock solid. Belief is a purely personal thing, one has to believe what they want, I only gave the info.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #87
Kris Garland
Dojo: Commerce
United_States

Go to http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal...gal/index.html alot of things about him...alot of thme aren't so pleasent. How accurate this info is I'm not to sure. But the site is ran by crime tv.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #88
Erik

No comment on the whole thread but I stumbled across SS on USA Network last night for some flick called Submerged. Shoulda been called "Above The Waist" because I don't think his waist line made an appearance in the entire movie.

Per IMDB, he did four in 2005 and another four in 2006. Apparently he's prolific at more than just the buffet table.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #89
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Hey Erik, you need to watch the movie again. His waistline was shown plenty of times. I think they are showing it again tonight.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #90
Edwin Neal
United_States
Talking Re: Sensei Steven Seagal's ?

mike if you need to watch it to see his waistline... well i'm not even going there

and let's show some respect and call it his 'ki-basket'

Edwin Neal

Old 01-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #91
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Erik Haselhofer wrote:
No comment on the whole thread but I stumbled across SS on USA Network last night for some flick called Submerged. Shoulda been called "Above The Waist" because I don't think his waist line made an appearance in the entire movie.

Per IMDB, he did four in 2005 and another four in 2006. Apparently he's prolific at more than just the buffet table.
OK, so why is it that Seagal's weight almost always comes up, but other instructors with substantial bellys never get mentioned? I can think of any number of senior Japanese instructors who are way beyond Seagal in the belly category, but weight is never mentioned when they are discussed.

Best,

Chris

Old 01-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #92
Edwin Neal
United_States

i for one have never taken issue with his weight... just about everything else, but never his weight...;-))

Edwin Neal

Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 PM   #93
tenshinaikidoka

United_States

Because, people think that because he is in the public light theycan bash him bash him. Apparently the harmony of Aikido is truly lost. I bet if people started bashing some Shihan's that are in charge of orginazations (aikido that is) some of these same basherswould come to the defense of thier respected Shihan. Oh well, it is a never ending losing battle, and all this Seagal talk has been done many times before. There are those of us that respect him and there are those that do not. I happen to, but who am I really, just a deshi looking for a better purpose in life I suppose.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #94
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Found this: "Why Steven Seagal Should Be Your Only Hero"

Just for a bit of fun

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-31-2006, 03:14 PM   #95
Hogan

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
OK, so why is it that Seagal's weight almost always comes up, but other instructors with substantial bellys never get mentioned? I can think of any number of senior Japanese instructors who are way beyond Seagal in the belly category, but weight is never mentioned when they are discussed.

Best,

Chris
Maybe because he is trying to be a fit martial arts action star that wears stupid long black leather coats trying to hide his weight, and uses stunt doubles for walking down the street.

But that's a guess ...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:23 PM   #96
tenshinaikidoka

United_States

Ok Bronson, now that link wasfriggin hilarious. And, sadly, true..LOL
Old 01-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #97
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I would say how funny the "Why Steven Seagal Should Be Your Only Hero" website is, but I don't want a broken wrist!

Michael
Old 01-31-2006, 03:43 PM   #98
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
Maybe because he is trying to be a fit martial arts action star that wears stupid long black leather coats trying to hide his weight, and uses stunt doubles for walking down the street.

But that's a guess ...
OTOH, I've seen plenty of Japanese pretending to be fit martial arts instructors with bellys hanging over their belts. At least in the movies everybody is aware that it is make believe.

Best,

Chris

Old 01-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #99
Edwin Neal
United_States

hey don't diss fat people they can kick ass too...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #100
SMART2o
Canada

Quote:
Mario Jones wrote:
For all you Segall buttkissers don't forget to buy his super juice.

From your posts, it sounds like you have some personal issues with the man. Did he steal your lunchmoney or fool around with your girfriend in school? From what I gather, it appears you are just a hater because of his media/Hollywood exposure.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!