Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-31-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
akiy

Lightbulb The AikiWeb AikiWiki

Hi everyone,

In hopes of creating a revolutionary new method of presenting and collecting aikido information, I am truly excited to present to you the AikiWeb AikiWiki, now available for your persual (and editing!) here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/

For those of you who many now know what a "Wiki" is, it's basically a dynamic collection of web pages that is open to members of a community to modify. In other words, if you're an AikiWeb member, you'll be able to modify the information on the current AikiWiki pages as well as add new pages. This means that you, the AikiWeb community, will be at the helm of this grand project of collecting as much information that we have on the art of aikido!

One note, though. To keep all of the information open for the AikiWeb community as well as others who may with to re-use the information, the license behind the AikiWiki is known as the Creative Commons License. This means, basically, that you'll need to be careful about re-using other people's information (from other websites, books, publications, etc). Original material (either by you or by someone else with permission to publish under the Creative Commons License ) is appreciated!

There are many other resources regarding aikido out there that have been compiled by a small number of people. I believe that we can harness the vast collection of aikido experience that the AikiWeb community brings to create a much broader and open collection of aikido information. I will need your help in reaching this vision. I can not do this alone; but with your help, we can create a resource valuable to the entire aikido community that will be truly greater than the sum of its parts.

So, please contribute your thoughts, ideas, experiences, and energy to this AikiWiki. I truly believe this can become something amazing if we all work together.

Any and all thoughts on the AikiWiki would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: New Feature: AikiWeb AikiWiki!

Sounds beyond me Jun, but your innovation is awe-inspiring!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
Pankration90
United_States
technique section of aikiwiki

The technique section of the aikiwiki is empty. I would appreciate and I'm sure lots of others would as well if people helped add more to it.

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/techniques/home
Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
akiy

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hmm... This sort of list could be kept in the AikiWiki...

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/people/home
I just went and created two new lists at the above page:

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/people/highrankingwomen - Aikido female yudansha with ranks at or above 6th dan.

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/people/nonjapanese - Non-Japanese aikido yudansha with ranks at or above 7th dan

Neither list is complete nor intended to be totally accurate. The first list I created off the top of my head (with a bit of research), and the second list was last maintained by the late Ubaldo Alcantara.

Here's your chance, folks, to help bring this list comprehensive and up-to-date!

-- Jun

Old 01-31-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
akiy

Re: technique section of aikiwiki

Quote:
Phillip Kirkan wrote:
The technique section of the aikiwiki is empty. I would appreciate and I'm sure lots of others would as well if people helped add more to it.

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/techniques/home
Yup -- I wanted to get people's thoughts and input in that (Techniques) section, so I kept it blank. I hope people will contribute their thoughts on the techniques in that section and will feel welcome in adding more techniques, too!

-- Jun

Old 01-31-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Yup -- I wanted to get people's thoughts and input in that (Techniques) section, so I kept it blank. I hope people will contribute their thoughts on the techniques in that section and will feel welcome in adding more techniques, too!

-- Jun
I've heard there is no technique in Aikido and so it's appropriate that that section remain empty.

Overall, this is very cool Jun. Congratulations.

Marc
Old 01-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
akiy

Quote:
Marc Kupper wrote:
I've heard there is no technique in Aikido and so it's appropriate that that section remain empty.
WIth that line of reasoning, I can hear someone saying that "the aikido that can be described is not aikido." That would make for a pretty darned empty AikiWiki...
Quote:
Overall, this is very cool Jun. Congratulations.
Thanks, Marc. Don't I remember that you had some sort of cross-style reference of technique names and such? There's a section (still pretty darned empty) for that in the AikiWiki too...

-- Jun

Old 01-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Thanks, Marc. Don't I remember that you had some sort of cross-style reference of technique names and such? There's a section (still pretty darned empty) for that in the AikiWiki too...
Yep - but I'm headed to the dojo in a minute.

BTW - about 90% of the time I'm getting XML errors, even on the main http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/ page. They look like
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End tag 'HEAD' does not match the start tag 'META'. Error processing resource 'http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/general/home?Dok...

</HEAD>
--^

I need to run but will try again when I get back from class.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
akiy

Quote:
Marc Kupper wrote:
BTW - about 90% of the time I'm getting XML errors, even on the main http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/ page.
Any feedback you can provide me when you get the chance would be appreciated!

-- Jun

Old 01-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
akiy

From this post:
Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
OK. I tried putting up a section in the Styles and nothing comes out. Is there a secret to this. I'm not a computer wiz-I type ok but that's about it.
I think the best way to get used to adding/modifying the AikiWiki is by going to its playground and trying things out. You'll also probably find the syntax guide to be useful, too. Also, by using the "Show pagesource" link at the bottom left of each page, you can see the code that was used to create that page.

The basics of a Wiki are as folllows.

If you want to create a new page, all you have to do is create a link to a page that doesn't exist. This is done by using the double brackets "[[" and "]]" surrounding a text [[likethis]]. In this instance, the AikiWiki will create a link to a page called "likethis" with the link text itself being "likethis". The same in basic HTML might look like <A HREF="likethis">likethis</A>. If you want to change the text that's being used in the link, you can use something like [[likethis|Go to this page]] which would then link to the "likethis" page with a text that states, "Go to this page" (<A HREF="likethis">Go to this page</A>).

When you create a link, the page itself doesn't exist -- just the link does. That means that you first need to save the page with the link (eg [[ikkyotips|Tips on Ikkyo]]). You'll then see that link as a light-blue color. Click on it and you'll get a page stating that "This topic does not exist yet." To add content to that page, click on "Create this page" near the bottom left. Doing so will bring up the editor which will enable you to create that page.

You can always use the "Preview" button when editing/creating a page to make sure that what you want is what you get.

Does that help?

-- Jun

PS: I went and created a link on the styles AikiWiki page for help on choosing a dojo. You might want to use that to create your page with your ideas on how to choose a dojo...

Last edited by akiy : 01-31-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
akiy

Hi everyone,

To head off any confusion before it starts...

One of the hallmarks of a Wiki is that the documents within them are modifiable by anyone within the community. This means that if you submit a page or edit in a document, what you wrote may be changed by anyone else in the community. In effect, no one really "owns" a document but, rather, it becomes the community's.

Of course, I'll be taking a look to make sure the changes are appropriate, but please understand that the underlying philosophy of a Wiki is for creating a dynamic, open repository of ideas!

Thanks,

-- Jun

Old 02-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #12
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Do these different organizations listed here on the aiki wiki each have their own stated goal/purpose? Do they favor certain principles over other ones in general? Is there a fair description of all the "different approaches to teaching and learning"? I *know* there is a negative way to express some of these ideas, but there is also a postive way. I would love to see that information here.

Just curious, what does the end of the Andrew Sato sensei entry mean? "Andrew Sato, shihan-dai, 6th dan, until January 2005" Is he still alive? Is he no longer with AAA?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #13
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I believe he is no longer with the AAA organization.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #14
SeiserL

United_States

You never cease to amaze me m'friend. When I get some time I will make a pot of coffee, trun on some jazz, and brainstorm for what its worth. Thank you for the opportunity to learn from each other.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
akiy

The posts regarding the CAA have been split off to this thread:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7469

-- Jun

Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #16
tarmath
Canada

Wonderful!

And I've been seriously thinking a wiki would be magnificient for the aikido community for the past 2 weeks... now the only thing needed is people participating.

One thing tho, I see a little difference in the license of aikiwiki and of other wikis available on the internet:

aikiwiki: Attribution: You must give AikiWiki and AikiWeb original author credit.
other wikis: Attribution: You must give the original author credit (as stated in the creative commons license) in other words, contributions remain the property of their creators.

Could you explain?

Math
Old 02-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #17
akiy

Quote:
Mathieu Pichette wrote:
And I've been seriously thinking a wiki would be magnificient for the aikido community for the past 2 weeks... now the only thing needed is people participating.
Indeed! I see that there have been some activity already. Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far!

Quote:
One thing tho, I see a little difference in the license of aikiwiki and of other wikis available on the internet:

aikiwiki: Attribution: You must give AikiWiki and AikiWeb original author credit.
other wikis: Attribution: You must give the original author credit (as stated in the creative commons license) in other words, contributions remain the property of their creators.
Thanks for finding that! I've fixed this to be more in-line with the Creative Commons license that we're using here...

-- Jun

Old 02-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #18
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

How is this policed? Like for instance, if I decided to list my 1 year old son as an uchideshi of O-sensei. Is there a wiki fact checker? It seems like someone who is wrong - that has a lot of time on their hands - could constantly change things back (to the wrong information) no matter how many times other people correct it.

Rob
Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
akiy

Hi Rob,

That's part of the interesting part about Wikis. As they are "open" repositories, it's up to us in the community to watch over the information and improve upon them when we can. So, we, the AikiWeb community itself, serve as the "fact checker." I would hope that should you list your one year old son as an uchideshi to the founder, someone would go and correct that information. There is always the option of reverting to an older revision of a page by loading up the older revision, copying its page source, and then using that to undo changes.

As only AikiWeb members are allowed to edit the AikiWiki, it will be quite easy to shut down people's accounts if they misbehave too much.

Thanks, by the way, to everyone who has contributed. I see that there have already been a lot of new pages and information!

Best,

-- Jun

Old 02-06-2005, 03:54 AM   #20
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Hi Jun,

A minor point re: the Aikido styles section of Aikiwiki - technically the BAB (British Aikido Board) is not a style, but a governing body representing UK Aikido organisations from all styles of Aikido. It is inaccurate to list it under 'Aikikai' as a style, because its members are from all the different styles. Can it be listed under the heading of a governing body rather than under a style?

I'd rather not make any changes without asking first!

I'm also wondering if the BAB is unique in this, or does anyone else in the world have an umbrella organisation that represents all Aikido styles in their country?

Ruth
Old 02-07-2005, 05:04 AM   #21
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:
Hi Jun,

A minor point re: the Aikido styles section of Aikiwiki - technically the BAB (British Aikido Board) is not a style, but a governing body representing UK Aikido organisations from all styles of Aikido. It is inaccurate to list it under 'Aikikai' as a style, because its members are from all the different styles. Can it be listed under the heading of a governing body rather than under a style?

I'm also wondering if the BAB is unique in this, or does anyone else in the world have an umbrella organisation that represents all Aikido styles in their country?

Ruth
Likewise, The BAA is a tomiki organisation IIRC, I'll prob change it in the near future when I have some spare time

Mike Haft

PS - I'm amazed at how many high ranking non-japanese are listed on the wiki, I didn't realise there were that many. It brings up an interesting point about how to deal with 'independent' dojos and teachers on the wiki, I'll enjoy watching how it works out.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:16 AM   #22
justinc
Dojo: Enso Center, Redmond
Australia

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:
That was the same point I was making about the now-moved CAA sub-thread. It too is an umbrella organisation rather than a specific stylistic one.

Justin Couch
Student of life.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #23
akiy

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:
Sure, sounds good. Maybe something like, "Cross-Stylistic Organizational Bodies" might be a good heading.

Of course, I personally don't think that Aikikai is a "style" nor do I hope that I've ever labeled it as such, but that's a totally different issue.
Quote:
Actually, by all means, please do make changes without asking first! I do not want to be any sort of "central processing" person to OK or not OK changes. In the long run, that's for the community (ie all of you!) to decide...

-- Jun

Old 02-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #24
akiy

Quote:
Justin Couch wrote:
That was the same point I was making about the now-moved CAA sub-thread. It too is an umbrella organisation rather than a specific stylistic one.
I don't know to whom you are aiming your remarks, but I personally have not labelled the California Aikido Association as being an organization that represents a single "style." As stated in the other thread, the CAA is, however, very much within the Aikikai organization. It seems as though Ruth is saying that the BAB has "sub"-organizations within it that does not "report" to Aikikai; this is a very different situation than the CAA wherein all dojo within its three divisions "report" to the Aikikai organization.

Please redirect all further discussions about the CAA to the other thread. Thanks.

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Old 02-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #25
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Awesome!

Thanks, Jun!