Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Sojourner
Australia
Review - Ki Federation of Great Britain

Greetings All,

So going on from the "over 40's thread" I went along to an Aikido only dojo to see what it was like. I had a great time and thought it seemed pretty good. Members set up the dojo, Greetings were made then various warm ups were done which I guess you are all pretty familiar with. The classes began with Ki practice where members had to relax and concentrate at the same time in certain postures with the extension of Ki. I found it interesting and was allowed to join in and participate in them also. The class then moved on to practice of break falls, once the instructor saw that I had some experience in this from the Krav training I have done in the past I was permitted to join in with the general group on the mat. Following that I was placed with two other students and we worked on a move called "Nikkyo" which we practiced initially in one set manner and after it had been repeated effectively was then taught coming in from some different directions and so forth, we were then asked to attack the Sensei and we were all quickly and effectively downed via the use of Nikkyo for the demonstrations. Time was called and we did cool down stretches and bows and the dojo was packed up. I found the group pretty friendly and ended up staying back chatting for a while after the end of the session. Am planning to go back again several times, but it seems to me that this is a good place to train.

I was given the details of the dojo on a card and it says that they are affiliated to the Ki Federation of Great Britain. They are only club of this group in my State in Australia and there are some others interstate. I have been on their website and had a look and seen that it was begun by a chap called Michael Williams and found some good articles there. I guess what I wanted to know is if people on here are familiar with the Ki Federation of Great Britain and the type of Aikido that is practiced there? How do you find it and if you had to review this Organisation would you give it a positive or other review? At this stage I am collating some information in an attempt to make sure that I am making the right decision. All seems good after the first visit, but if i join something I do it 100% not a half measure and need to feel that it is the right decision to enable that to happen.

https://www.facebook.com/KiAikidoSouthAustralia?fref=nf
Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Review - Ki Federation of Great Britain

I think it's great that you're looking for information on the organization you're thinking about joining. At the same time, you don't ever want to join something "100%" if that means turning off your ability to question or to decide down the road that it's not for you. Organizations change and so do people, and it's an aikido organization, not a marriage, so whatever you learn, don't swear "till death do us part".
Old 01-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Janet Rosen

I'm glad you had a good time!
I would say go by the instructor and the dojo culture more than the affiliation and the politics :-)
I've been a member of several dojo over the years.
My current one, which I hope will be my home dojo as long as I live, comes from a similar lineage (Tohei Sensei with ki exercises integrated into the training) but is currently unaffiliated and frankly, considering its last affiliation I'm just as glad.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
crbateman

Examine all your choices firsthand, and go where it feels "right' to you. You are not signing your life away, so you can always move on. At this point in your training, the instructor and the "feel" is more important than the affiliation or the politics. Enjoy the journey.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Sojourner
Australia

Cheers and thankyou for the encouragement! - I could not agree more about the critical need to find a genuine instructor as opposed to what affiliation they may have. I am planning to continue training and assess it as it goes on. Yet what I will say is that I very much like the feeling of the Dojo and training only in Aikido, not trying to do Jujitsu and Karate at the same time. No disrespect to those MA's, yet placing the focus on the one is where I need to be right now.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

Just to clarify Ken Williams founded the Ki Fed in the Uk. Michael Williams founded and ran the Ki Society (to be followed by Aikido Yuishinkai, then Aikido Goshinkai) in Australia.
FWIW I practiced at a number of Ki Fed dojos whilst living in the UK, enjoyed some more than others..yep its all about the instructor and individual dojo.
I remember at most we stopped for a cup of tea and a biccie from the tin at half time, not sure if thats done in your dojo?

Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Sojourner
Australia

Cheers Daniel, - We did stop for drinks but its been high 30's down here in Adelaide! Still getting out the Tim Tams for a half time break sounds a pretty good idea!

Apologies for the names, it gets a little confusing, but am across it now!