Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-05-2004, 09:00 PM   #1
Duval Culpepper
Dojo: NY Aikikai
Question about omote and ura...

Hey there, I'm taking my 5th kyu test on the 8th and I had a question about omote and ura...

For shomenuchi ikkyo omote, is that the technique where you step straight through? And ura is with the tenkan?

And for katekori shionage omote, is that the kaiten move (front foot becomes the back?) and ura is where you tenkan?

Ah...writing this I think I answered my own question, ura is usually with a tenkan?

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Question about omote and ura...

http://www.aikiweb.com/language/vocab.html
or
irimi: entering
tenkan: turning
omote: to the front of uke
ura: to the rear of uke

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
akiy

Although there is a pretty important semantic difference between omote and irimi as well as between ura and tenkan, most dojo I've been to do not differentiate between them (eg omote == irimi, ura == tenkan). So, for the questions that you asked, the answer would be pretty much "yes."

However, as Janet pointed out, the meanings of the terms are quite different.

The way I treat them is that omote and ura describe nage's location relative to uke's front center-line whereas irimi and tenkan describe the movement that nage takes. For example, I can do an irimi movement to uke's ura (as in most instances of iriminage) or I can do an irimi to uke's omote (like in shomen ate). Similarly, I can do a tenkan to uke's ura (like for some instances of kotegaeshi) or I can do a tenkan to uke's omote (like the opening movement in yokomenuchi shihonage).

... all of which is probably more than you really wanted to know...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-07-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
Dario Rosati
Dojo: Zanshin - Milan

Quote:
Duval Culpepper wrote:
Hey there, I'm taking my 5th kyu test on the 8th and I had a question about omote and ura...

For shomenuchi ikkyo omote, is that the technique where you step straight through? And ura is with the tenkan?

And for katekori shionage omote, is that the kaiten move (front foot becomes the back?) and ura is where you tenkan?

Ah...writing this I think I answered my own question, ura is usually with a tenkan?

Thanks a lot.
First, good luck for your test
Jun answered your question, but I've another... aren't that techniques/concepts the basis for the 6th?
I'm not even 6th yet (will test next month), but concepts as tenkan, ura, omote, kaiten, irimi, yoko/shomenuchi, katatetori and ai/gyaku stance (the quality of the execution is another story ) are pretty clear after 2-3 months of practice.

Just curious, how long have you trained to reach 5th?

Again, good luck for the test

Dario

Last edited by Dario Rosati : 05-07-2004 at 07:13 AM.

--
Old 05-07-2004, 07:36 AM   #5
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

Duval,
It sounds like you have the basic understanding of the movements correct, but to totally understand these concepts why don't you ask a sensei or one of your senior students. You have many amazing aikidoists at your dojo - take advantage of them!
To answer your question, Dario... In the USAF (Duval's dojo is home to several if of the senior senseis inthis organization), the first test you take is 5th kyu. So his questions are right on schedule for his first test!
Best,
Gaia

Old 05-07-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I believe that current Doshu also differentiates between omote/ura and irimi/ tenkan in Best Aikido 2... If my memory of the Borders Library serves me correctly.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland

omote is to enter straight through with the same leg that is forward(in ikkyo) then step through with back leg after taking ukes balance. Ura is to make tai-no henko(toe to toe) dont enter to deep,
Old 05-08-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Duval Culpepper

Thanks. Just got back from testing.

It went well, I just did omote four times (instead of two omote, and two ura) on shomenuchi ikkyo, but the rest went very well. Though I'm not sure, I think Yamada Sensei said we all passed.

Guess I'll find out on monday.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #9
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

I will second Gaia's remark (that's a cool name, by the way): you are training at a truly "elite" dojo, with a fantastic instructor. I'm sure the sempai/sensei there could not only define the terms, but help you understand their meaning.

As for my guess? Well, we don't say omote or ura in Yoshokai, we just say "#1" (~omote?) and "#2" (~ura). I think I'm starting to figure out why techniques are classified the way they are. The common phrase we use at our dojo is "#1 is reversing uke's direction, #2 is keeping them going the same direction."
Old 05-10-2004, 01:53 AM   #10
Orihime
Dojo: Sei Shin Kai (Compiègne)
Smile Re: Question about omote and ura...

[quote=
As for my guess? Well, we don't say omote or ura in Yoshokai, we just say "#1" (~omote?) and "#2" (~ura). I think I'm starting to figure out why techniques are classified the way they are. The common phrase we use at our dojo is "#1 is reversing uke's direction, #2 is keeping them going the same direction."[/QUOTE]
In my club we say "omote" and "ura", but more often "positive" (omote) and "negative" (ura). I wonder why.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #11
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands

For what it is worth. I have been told by several students of o'sensei that he never used the terms omote and ura but simply reffered to them as #1 and #2. Of course it is possible that I missunderstood them completely.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 05-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #12
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Jun:

I like your explanation as it is one I have used. Location for omote/ura; Movement for irmin/tenkan. I also use how one moves for uchi/soto (turning inside or turning outside).
Old 05-11-2004, 10:18 AM   #13
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Erik Jurrien Knoops wrote:
For what it is worth. I have been told by several students of o'sensei that he never used the terms omote and ura but simply reffered to them as #1 and #2. Of course it is possible that I missunderstood them completely.
If you train with John Stevens Sensei, who was a student of Shirata Sensei, you get the numbering system as you describe.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-11-2004, 10:52 AM   #14
akiy

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
I also use how one moves for uchi/soto (turning inside or turning outside).
Yup -- I also use "uchi" and "soto" for variations of techniques like kaitennage and sankyo.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #15
Duval Culpepper

So what exactly is gokyu? Is that another term for 5th kyu?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

Quote:
Duval Culpepper wrote:
So what exactly is gokyu? Is that another term for 5th kyu?
http://www.aikiweb.com/language/ranks_k.html

Greg Jennings