Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
John Ruhl
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai
United_States
Need good video clips for a talk...

I'm giving a 1-hour talk on Aikido to a group of incoming students at our university. They get to select which talks they'll go to, so they will be at least somewhat interested in Aikido (I hope); my main motivation is to recruit students for the Aikido club here. Unfortunately the room I've been assigned has almost no space for demonstrating "dynamic" technique, and I won't have mats.

The room does have a data projector that I can use with my laptop.

So... I'm looking for good video clips that demonstrate some of the "bigger" techniques of Aikido, eg projections and perhaps weapons kata, that I can use in lieu of actually throwing someone around. I'll probably demonstrate some of the "controls", but clips of those would also be good since I'll have to take it slow and easy. The main criteria for the clips would be that they are impressive to non-Aikidoka.

I've never edited video before, so short clips that I can use in whole would be preferred... but I'm willing to learn how to edit them (on a mac). Any pointers to easy mac applications for this would be very helpful.

thanks,

John Ruhl
Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Timothy WK
United_States
Re: Need good video clips for a talk...

I thought that old footage of Steven Seagal was rather impressive, but, well... it's Steven Seagal, so that would color people's opinion of the video.

--Timothy Kleinert
Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

I really like the demonstrations from the Aiki Expos (check with Aikido Journal) and those by Aikido Today Magazine.

Some may be available (bootlegged) on YouTube.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi, Are you an ASU club / dojo? If so, I would use clips of Saotome Sensei. Some of the ones from the Aikido Friendship demos where his uke is Don Modesto. I really like that footage. If you go to www.aikidojournal.com, and search on the Friendship demo, you'll see the clips I'm reffering to.

I think it is best to use clips from your own association, rather than someone else. Truth in advertising and all that.

Best,
Ron
PS http://www.aikidojournal.com/catalog...ils?code=dvd06 is the dvd I'm thinking of. No clip for Saotome that I saw, but the clip that is publically available is a good one.

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 08-08-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
John Ruhl
United_States

Thanks for your quick replies!

Tim - That footage is a bit grainy, but you have a good point that Segal might be a good tie-in for this audience.

Lynn and Ron - thanks for the tips, I used your advice and found some great stuff of Saotome Sensei's on youtube and also some shorter things at Aikido Journal. (Yes, we're ASU). Now I just need to figure out how to extract the portions I want...

thanks,
John
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Big,showey, impressive....sounds a lot like some of the Tissier
footage to me...
Many quality folks to select, but his style is quite visually striking.
FWIW
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

For ASU there are also several very nice clips of Hirohshi Ikeda from Boulder Aikikai. I believe there may even be some right here on AikiWeb ...yup, just check in the Multimedia heading over on the left and click the Video link.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
John Ruhl
United_States

Lan - I agree, Tissier sensei's technique is impressive, would sell well... I just need to find some "good" footage that is reasonably lit, etc...

Bronson -
Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote: View Post
... just check in the Multimedia heading over on the left and click the Video link.
Bronson
Thanks! I should have seen that!

-John
Old 08-09-2007, 05:45 AM   #9
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

Some of the footage from Josette Normandeau's visit to Iwama in her aikido episode of Deadly Arts might be nice. There is one segment that shows Saito Sensei doing a jo kata and some other good weapons practice footage. There are also some nice shots of Yamada Sensei in the same episode. Some of those clips were also used in a National Geographic episode on martial arts which you can find on YouTube, but the YouTube bit is grainy.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
Bronson

I'm with Ron on this one. If the aim is to attract people to your club then you should show clips that are representative of what you do. It's not fair to entice people to join by showing things to which they will not be exposed.

Just my take.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #11
John Ruhl
United_States

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote: View Post
I'm with Ron on this one. If the aim is to attract people to your club then you should show clips that are representative of what you do. It's not fair to entice people to join by showing things to which they will not be exposed.

Just my take.

Bronson
Bronson -

I'm in general agreement with you, and don't intend to pull a "bait and switch".

I'm curious, though, which of the things suggested you think are so far from what one might be exposed to in a random ASU dojo. To me, Tissier sensei's aikido looks great, not so different from what we work on. Saotome sensei looks different, but then again everyone in ASU I've seen (which isn't saying a lot) looks different than him.

I haven't looked at everything thing Lori mentioned, but what I've seen of Saito sensei's weapons kata doesn't seem that different than kata and exercises we do... but perhaps I'm missing the point.

That is, to me it all looks like aikido, not so far afield. If we were talking about showing video of competition, eg Yoseikan Budo or something like that, that would indeed be "bait and switch". In my "seminar" I'm really just going to tell them why martial arts are great, and how aikido is different than karate and TKD and judo (the things they're probably familar with)... and of course how aikido is wonderful and they should think about coming to practice.

That said, I've gotta figure out how to excise portions of those clips, or this is all moot!

cheers,
-John
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #12
Bronson

Well, to be honest I'm not familiar with aikido as it's taught in the ASU. If you are showing clips that are representative of the type of aikido you do, regardless of whether they are ASU or not, then all should be well. The sticking point is if your club usually does (as an example) a softer, flowing, atemi-less type of aikido but you're showing clips with big falls, strong atemi, etc.

Now if your trying to show the diversity that exists within the aikido community then any public clip is fair game, but I think you should still make some type of distinction between the type that might be encountered in your club and any others.

Alternately you could always make some video of your club members to show, or possibly your sensei if available.

Good luck, I'm sure it will go well.

Bronson