Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
neb1979
Australia
Something different

Hi everyone I was browsing other sites when I came a cross this I thought is was very interesting. What does everyone else think?

http://www.freewebz.com/aikido/lecture/index.htm

Regards
Ben
Old 06-21-2005, 03:44 AM   #2
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey
Re: Something different

does not matter, I think, how you call the techniques etc...as a result, it is the same
but I prefer the traditional aikido of O'sensei...
the stroy at the end, "the rat and the cat" is interesting...I wish I had such a cat
Old 06-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
ad_adrian

Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane Dojo
Australia

i definatly prefer the traditional aikido of o'sensei...or gozo's shidoa aikido
Old 06-21-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
james c williams
United Kingdom

Quote:
Adrian Stuart wrote:
i definatly prefer the traditional aikido of o'sensei...or gozo's shidoa aikido
Dear Adrian,

No doubt you would prefer Shioda Sensei's Aikido, however this could be perceived as slightly bias since you are a Yoshinkan trainee, otherwise you would not be training in a Yoshinkan dojo right. However, have you trained in a lot of other dojos?

James
Old 06-21-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Ben, thank you for that link...just bookmarked it. My only exposure in real time to Korindo aikido is with John Goss Sensei in Maryland, and to be truthfull, its mostly for Daito ryu not Korindo. But from what little I have seen of the system its fantastic. Amir Krause trains in Korindo in Israel, I believe. You can find him on this board and on e-budo if you have questions on Korindo Aikido.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-21-2005, 07:26 AM   #6
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Just to be clear...Korindo Aikido is quite different from the Aikido most of us think of...I believe it is a true composite system, with roots in some koryu systems, especially for weapons work. While the founder of Korindo aikido (Hirai?) did study with Ueshiba for a time, the system he created is quite different, and not just a matter of different names for the techniques.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-21-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
AikiSean!

Dojo: Alpharetta Martial Arts
United_States

Anyones style here also train yari? Seems like it would be fun. The one thing I did find pretty interesting were the breathing methods, I need to try that.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #8
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I was allowed to train a couple of times with the Yagyu Shinkage ryu group here in Phila. They use yari for uketachi on some of their techniques. It was a lot of fun!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Hi all

The link is to a group of lectures given by one of Korindo Aikido Shihan (8th Dan), Shono Seiki. The Shihan had started his way in M.A. learning weapons in several Koryu disciplines and then joined Korindo Aikido at the urging of one of his teachers. He is the founder of the Hong-Kong branch of Korindo Aikido.
I had the honor to learn from him in a couple of seminars (He came to visit the Israeli branch) and his knowledge and understanding of weapons work is astonishing.

Bülent Koçak, Adrian Stuart
How can you make such decisions based only on Internet sites? Words are not the best communication form when regarding M.A. I am not trying to preach you to come and join Korindo, just asking you not to belittle an art you don't know.

while "Korindo Aikido" is named "Aikido" is a different M.A. to "Ueshiba Aikido", with different historical routes, different methodology and different curriculum. It probably would sound strange to most of you, but we would not consider Ueshiba as an important persona in the development of "Korindo Aikido". The way it is told to us is Hirai was the General affairs manager at Ueshiba dojo before 1942, a post Ueshiba invited him for after Hirai alreadu had his own Dojo. Then Hirai left to join the Dai-Nihon-Butokukai as he was selected to be a manager of a new department, for "practical "Ju-Jutsu", the name of the department was decided by a comittee as "AIKIDO" and this was the first coining of this term (Aikido not Aiki).
Korindo Aikido is much smaller M.A. compared to Ueshiba Aikido and it's offshoots, partially since Hirai sensei did not have any interest in exporting his art. He was closer to the Koryu spirit of keeping the art secret from outsiders.

If you have further questions, I could TRY to answer them.

Amir
Old 03-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
neb1979
Australia

Hi Amir,

Sorry to cover this topic again but I was browsing the internet and came across this http://www.aikimartialarts.com/korindo.shtml . Is it true about the naming of Aikido in this article? Also I would love to see a clip of this art as I am very interested in it so if anyone knows of anywhere where I could download a clip of some sort it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ben
Old 03-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

Sensei Goss gave some excellent demonstrations and seminars at the Aiki-Expos. If he is a representation of the art, my compliments and appreciation.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!