Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-19-2003, 01:28 PM   #26
ikkainogakusei
Quote:
Moline Bob (Bob) wrote:
I believe that all this is politics. I think that as long as nage (tori/shiite) is on balance and safe, and uke is off balance and vulnerable then it is an aikido technique.

<snip>

My biggest concern for aikido is the barriers that are put up by the various aikido organizations to exclude other organizations, and aiki weapons is a good example. Each time that techniques are developed/changed that are specific to just one organization it is, in my opinion, an exclusionary move ... a student of one style, let's say Aikikai, has a hard time moving to another style, let's say Iwama, and feel that he/she is respected if he/she cannot do the particular weapons katas that Iwama students of equal rank can do.
I hope that the said Aikikai student -=would=- be respected. I would respect such a student because they have a slightly different perspective from their path up the proverbial mountain and we could only serve to improve ourselves by being open to many perspectives.

Though decisions are made for whatever reason there is still an ai- in our keiko. for one will be a student happy with my form, happy to learn from other forms, and inclusive of all ka

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-24-2003, 02:10 PM   #27
AsimHanif
Bob (above),

I totally agree with your thoughts. If someone is teaching something that you personally find interesting - then train with them. If not - don't. Most schools wear either white or black belts. Maybe we all need to wear white and just train.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM   #28
BKimpel
Hey Bob, you ever train with Garnett in Winnipeg (Iwama style If I remember correctly), and swap weapons techniques?

Or do they pretty much keep to themselves, and you guys pretty much keep to yourselves?

P.S. I trained with you a few times way back in the early 90's (when you and your group would come in to Winnipeg for seminars and testing).

Bruce Kimpel
Old 11-25-2003, 09:49 AM   #29
Bob
Dojo: Dryden Aikikai
In the early 90's I did train a few times with Garnet and we did Iwama-style weapons and I thought it was ok (I had done some before) ... he's a good guy and a fine aikidoist but I think that he was so entrenched in the Iwama melieu that it didn't even occur to him to swap techniques, he just assumed that I wanted to be taught and that was ok with me ... you learn more if you're being taught than if you're teaching.

Regretably, he quit aikido shortly after that to pursue a degree in medicine and I was told that he has never come back to aikido. I haven't seen him since.

That dojo (Winnipeg Aikikai) was orginally Aikikai and returned to Aikikai after Garnet left so we still have a lot to do with each other. There is another Iwama dojo there now and they are a great bunch too.

Bob
Old 11-25-2003, 10:03 AM   #30
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
We belong to a small dojo -- only 3 of ours in the U.S. -- affiliated with Aikikai, and any seminar we go to is inevitably outside our "style" (Kodokan Aikido).

These have included seminars with the late Saito Shihan, Pat Hendricks Sensei, Ikeda and Saetome Shihans, and the esteemed Aviv Sensei (though I seem to have missed out on that last friendship seminar due to my schedule).

All of these have added to my own individual technique, and the opportunity I had to study Iwama weapons for a couple of years on a regular basis helped my understanding of body movement tremendously.

I think it's all fine if Hitohiro Sensei leaves the Aikikai; I just hope that all of his students retain the openness of training with non-Iwama students that I have so enjoyed in the past.

PS -- Hope to train with you again soon Aviv, though I'll be in Chicago during your upcoming seminar

-jon

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:36 AM   #31
John Longford
Dojo: Cambridge Aikido, Cambridge UK
England
Re: General News: Hitohiro Saito Sensei Leaves Aikikai Foundation

I know that I have come very late to this discussion but I feel I must comment. Several people here have said that Saito Sensei stated that only Iwama Aikido was right. A load of BS.
I was priviliged, along with a few others, to have dinner with him at the end of his seminar in 1994 in Birmingham, England. He said that Aikido was like a smorgasbord where you can use what you wanted to keep or ignore. He then mimed picking up something, smiling and putting it in his jacket. He did this again then mimed grimacing and throwing something over his shoulder. Hardly the actions of someone with a closed mind.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #32
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: General News: Hitohiro Saito Sensei Leaves Aikikai Foundation

Quote:
John Longford wrote: View Post
I know that I have come very late to this discussion but I feel I must comment. Several people here have said that Saito Sensei stated that only Iwama Aikido was right. A load of BS.
I was priviliged, along with a few others, to have dinner with him at the end of his seminar in 1994 in Birmingham, England. He said that Aikido was like a smorgasbord where you can use what you wanted to keep or ignore. He then mimed picking up something, smiling and putting it in his jacket. He did this again then mimed grimacing and throwing something over his shoulder. Hardly the actions of someone with a closed mind.
Quite a bump. Are you calling Chris Li a liar? Or is it possible that a person during his life can state several different opinions on a subject?