Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Aikido Sangenkai Blog

OK, I started up a new blog on the Aikido Sangenkai website. It's experimental, so we'll see how it goes - it may consist primarily of me ranting and raving...

http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/blog/

Best,

Chris

Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido Sangenkai Blog

Nice! Thank you, Chris!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Ernesto Lemke
Dojo: Seikokan , Leeuwarden
Netherlands

Thanks Chris. Now let's see if this starts something...

Ernesto
Old 02-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Some of the best stuff you've written Chris!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands

Great read, Chris.

I'd wished i could rave and rant like you
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

I agree with your first posting Chris, this is why I read the teachings of O-sensei, and research all I can about Aikido. It's Do, not a Jutsu, so obviously there's more to it than the techniques alone, as otherwise it's just faster to learn Daito-ryu.

Now, by reading what O-sensei wrote on his teachings, I can understand how the uchi-deshi's felt. In the best of circumstances (coffee, comfy chair, warm) all I feel is confusion. In the freezing cold while sitting at seiza will mean I would basically absorb close to zero. This is the reason why Shioda Gozo-sensei codified the teachings of Yoshinkan: he felt so confused with how O-sensei taught that he realized the future students of Aikido isn't gonna be able to follow the teachings properly unless he made a solid progressional system.

I still read those teachings left behind by O-sensei, and I strongly encourage those that have studied with O-sensei to pass down as much of his knowledge as possible so that we can preserve his knowledge, even if we can no longer preserve his skills. I don't understand it now, and maybe I never will understand the majority of what I read. But what I read, I remember in hopes that one day, perhaps during meditation, during training, or when I'm fighting off a knife wielding thug, I will get that moment of profound revelation, just as O-sensei had, and I will recall what O-sensei said with clarity and understanding. Then, if I do recieve such blessings, I would strive to teach what I felt to my own students, in hopes that it gets passed down into the future. This is all O-sensei asked for after all: a world of peace through AIkido. It doesn't matter if we can't fight off ten people, Ueshiba-sensie would rather we learn to make ten friends.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Alic Xie wrote: View Post
I agree with your first posting Chris, this is why I read the teachings of O-sensei, and research all I can about Aikido. It's Do, not a Jutsu, so obviously there's more to it than the techniques alone, as otherwise it's just faster to learn Daito-ryu.

Now, by reading what O-sensei wrote on his teachings, I can understand how the uchi-deshi's felt. In the best of circumstances (coffee, comfy chair, warm) all I feel is confusion. In the freezing cold while sitting at seiza will mean I would basically absorb close to zero. This is the reason why Shioda Gozo-sensei codified the teachings of Yoshinkan: he felt so confused with how O-sensei taught that he realized the future students of Aikido isn't gonna be able to follow the teachings properly unless he made a solid progressional system.

I still read those teachings left behind by O-sensei, and I strongly encourage those that have studied with O-sensei to pass down as much of his knowledge as possible so that we can preserve his knowledge, even if we can no longer preserve his skills. I don't understand it now, and maybe I never will understand the majority of what I read. But what I read, I remember in hopes that one day, perhaps during meditation, during training, or when I'm fighting off a knife wielding thug, I will get that moment of profound revelation, just as O-sensei had, and I will recall what O-sensei said with clarity and understanding. Then, if I do recieve such blessings, I would strive to teach what I felt to my own students, in hopes that it gets passed down into the future. This is all O-sensei asked for after all: a world of peace through AIkido. It doesn't matter if we can't fight off ten people, Ueshiba-sensie would rather we learn to make ten friends.
Yes, I think that Shioda had the same difficulties - he eventually had to go outside to get explanations of what he had already been taught.

I hope to talk about it more in the future, but I think that it would be a mistake to take the things that Ueshiba said and wrote as purely philosophical or spiritual, but more on that later.

Personally, I didn't find Daito-ryu any faster than anything else, but that may just be a function of my limited learning capacity.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Always enjoy your stuff, Chris. Glad for the greater length of your comments in the blog. It doesn't get thin. Looking forward to more.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

I meant Daito-ryu being faster as in you don't need to learn all the philosophical stuff, but maybe Takeda-sensei do have some of the spiritual training included, not sure...

I certain know that the things O-sensei said isn't just philosphical. He derived it from both his spiritual and martial wisdoms, and he left them behind with the express intention that we learn both from it.

I think he too realized how little his students learned from him, and he might've left those writtings behind for his students, so that when they are ready to learn, they will have something to look at.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alic Xie wrote: View Post
I meant Daito-ryu being faster as in you don't need to learn all the philosophical stuff, but maybe Takeda-sensei do have some of the spiritual training included, not sure...

I certain know that the things O-sensei said isn't just philosphical. He derived it from both his spiritual and martial wisdoms, and he left them behind with the express intention that we learn both from it.

I think he too realized how little his students learned from him, and he might've left those writtings behind for his students, so that when they are ready to learn, they will have something to look at.
I've rarely been taught "philosphical stuff" in an aikido class. Progress is slow enough as it is...

Alex