Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel
kendo's gruelling challenge

Beautiful documentary by National Geographic that manage to touch us in deep places.

I don't know if it was posted here before, but, there ya go once more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXMfPPWkMVY
Old 08-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
tuturuhan
United_States
Re: kendo's gruelling challenge

Shany.

Thank you...I am humbled.

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

I have had the pleasure of learning from one of the successful candidates featured on that video.

What a treat to learn from a hachidan, it's a cracking watch people. Go give it a lookie.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

What does "a cracking watch" mean?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
tuturuhan
United_States

The point of this video (for me) was that the "mind" takes us beyond the body to the sword. These practitioners believe that they can improve their technique far past the ages of 17, 25 and 35.

The "physical body" for a male is at its prime at the ages of 15--19. After that, its about maintenance. Yet,the experiences of the "older practitioner" gives him the advantage of "judgment" as he makes a decision.

The weapon (the sword) uses slight imperceptible movements. It relies less and less on the body in gross movements and more and more on "fine motor movement". This is the domain of the "brain/mind".

As such, the 46 year old, training for haichi-dan, continues to improve his outward technique through the "extension" of his mind through his sword. He takes his body beyond the external to the internal.

Watch carefully, how the bodies of these practitiioners become outwardly softer as they age. But, how the technique "seems" to "be there" as if by magic.

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 08-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Bob Blackburn
United_States

Thanks for the link. I heard it was out there. I will watch it later.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
chuunen baka
United Kingdom

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
What does "a cracking watch" mean?
"Cracking" in this context is an ethnic English slang word for "excellent". Perhaps confusing when applied to Kendo in an international forum.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

700+ at that test? And they only pass 4 or 5?
The kendo federation must be making bank.
Those tests go up in price according to rank...significantly if I remember correctly.

About the only thing impressive about that vid was the 10th dan guy they showed in the short clip. Too bad they couldn't do a complete documentary on him ^^;
Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel

Body and mind is so linked, we can see Ueshiba, at his old years still performing well, moving and teaching, doing demostrations. What is that magic Mind formula they all seems to be having? What are their positives thoughts patterns? How can we apply them today so we can extend out our years even today?

Some aikido tests also costs money, depend on your affiliate/dojo, but I think that kyu/dan isn't relevant, it's what's beyond, it's the inner feelings that you are creating throughout the experience.

That movie, although connected to Kendo can still inspire us all, as all of those movies / practitioners shares the same common goal: Mind and Body perfection.

Aikido, Kendo, Judo and the rest are just the tools to make them happen, that's why training is so important (I wish I could train everyday )

A good stance and posture reflects a proper state of mind
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
700+ at that test? And they only pass 4 or 5?
The kendo federation must be making bank.
Those tests go up in price according to rank...significantly if I remember correctly.
The "registration fees" (if you pass) get expensive quickly, but in my experience the "testing fees" (for taking the test) stay the same and relatively low, but I've not taken any tests at the national level (6th, 7th, or 8th dan).

Quote:
About the only thing impressive about that vid was the 10th dan guy they showed in the short clip. Too bad they couldn't do a complete documentary on him ^^;
Mochida Moriji (持田盛二) sensei was the man: the last 10th dan, and 9th and 10th dan weren't honorary. Those guys he's handling with ease are 7th and 8th dans.

There are some videos of him as a much younger man at the Showa Tenran Shiai floating around youtube. He's featured in the Showa no Kengou DVD, but I've not seen it, so I don't know what's included. Him performing the Nihon Kendo Kata with Saimura Goro (also 10th dan) is available in Kensei to Gokui: Nihon Kendo Kata.

Kentokuseisei
Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Kent Enfield wrote: View Post
Mochida Moriji (持田盛二) sensei was the man: the last 10th dan, and 9th and 10th dan weren't honorary. Those guys he's handling with ease are 7th and 8th dans.
That stuff about the mind is a dead giveaway if you ask me.
No wonder he played the 7th and 8th like toddlers though, they're bouncing all over the place (relatively speaking).
Old 08-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
tuturuhan
United_States

Mochida Moriji Sensei talks about his true training starting at the age of 50. He speaks bluntly about how the the lower body loses its life force in one's sixties and how in one's seventies the entire body loses its essence.

The test is whether the 50, 60, and 70 year old can still win against the 20, 30 and 40 something. This is the result of the "training". It takes a lifetime...there are no shotcuts. But, their are insights.

As such, in the beginning we start by using and conditioning our bodies. Later, we "see things" with our mind. We look "internally". Near the end, we choose/follow "aged teachers" that can still produce "results" as if by "mind only".

Some of us, are lucky in our insights. Most never refine the Qi/Ki. Yet, even with refinement, the Qi/Ki never truly belongs to us. Our bodies are only containers. They begin to leak all the "effort/knowledge/refined life force.

As such, We watch our teachers as they "collapse" and in our insecurities we wonder "will there is enough time?".

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 12-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
6head
Dojo: Kyiv Misogi
Ukraine

Dear gentlemen, is there any actual link to download the originally discussed video from Net? I watched it on YouTube, but the quality is poor, and I would like to show this video to my friends in our dojo.
Help, please, if you can.