Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-18-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan
What's your sensei teaching you?

Well I was talking to a fellow Aikidokan after class tonight and we some how (Gee I wonder) got on the subject: What is Sensei Riggs teaching us? Well after quite a bit of thought we came to the conclusion that he's not teaching us Aikido. But rather he is teaching us how to learn and pick up the sublties of aikido. This is of course being done through Aikido. However in my opinion is more valuable then just learning Aikido. It will allow us to venture out into seminars and give us and extra push to catching the little sublities other people might not catch. So my question: Is your Sensei teaching you Aikido or is he/she teaching you how to learn Aikido, and which do you think is more valuable? Can you even have one with out the other?

Robert.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: What's your sensei teaching you?

I allways think of it this way: each sensei teaches me his interpretation of what aikido is - both in the major aspect of things and in the fine details. After a while I hope I will become proficient enough to start building my own interpretation. I think a teacher should allways be true to his own understanding of aikido, and thus it is aikido which he is teaching.

Hope this seem relevant to you.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 05-19-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Shu Ha Ri

He is teaching you Aikido

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-19-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I think initially people learn techniques - only when this is done do people start to learn aikido. The techniques are like the writing paper which aikido is written on.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
crand32100
Dojo: vermont aikido

I gave up coming to class to be taught probably 5 years ago. I decided that if I want to get better at this, I have to create this for myself. I take what the teacher says and see if I can make it my own. Many times, what works for them does not work for me. The teachers that I'm most compatible with do not teach a lot of specific mechanical things. I think it's more important to find the principles that tie all of the techniques together than it is to overdo it with too many thoughts. Listening to a really technical instruction tends to get me thinking all about what I'm doing to the other guy. The funny thing is that I seem to improve much more when I don't get drawn into the other guy and focus on my own mental and physical integrity while doing the movements. Saotome sensei says that the difference between Chineese martial arts and Japaneese martial arts is that the Chineese like to make very eloborate systems for fighting. It's amazing that one's body can even remember so many movements. Japaneese arts are based in simplicity. They strive to eliminate as many unnecessary movements as possible. When a teacher gets up and talks and talks and talks I start to feel more like they are teaching a very complicated Chineese system, when it's something that was intended to be a lot simpler. Rather than trying to fill my head up, it's more like my goal is to shave things off that aren't needed. I like to keep this in the back of my mind whenever I'm listening to an instruction.

TC
Old 05-19-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, a lot of people are only teaching and learning the technqiues of Aikido, they do not learn how to learn, or the principles, or the application of those principles in a larger scale outside the Dojo mats. And people have the right to only teach or learn to their own needs, wants, and level of competence.

I am most fortunate to have a Sensei (Phong Sensei of Tenshinkai Aikido) who does it all, mostly by example.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:53 AM   #7
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

What strikes me about my teachers lately is that they're teaching me three things:

(1) How to do some aikido, which I thought was the point when I started;
(2) How to learn aikido--I realized how much they'd taught me about that when I tried visiting other dojo and had to "start from scratch" on certain techniques. My ability to do so was far better than when I was a beginner, and I could see the specific things they'd done to improve it.
(3) How to teach aikido. This is a constant theme, though usually a subtle one. They'll ask me to evaluate another student's form; they'll teach me how to lead a terrified newbie uke through a move in the most effective way. And I see my seniors being challenged to do more than that, up to and including leading their own classes.

I didn't know 2 and 3 were part of the package, but I find myself deeply interested in all three.

("Teachers" throughout this because we don't have a single person who's identifiably the sensei of the dojo. I do four classes a week from four different instructors, and lean a great deal from them all.)

Mary Kaye
Old 05-19-2004, 09:55 AM   #8
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

hmmm

"I am not teaching you martial technique, I'm teaching you the way of non violence" - O Sensei

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 05-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #9
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Quote:
Robert said:
"So my question: Is your Sensei teaching you Aikido or is he/she teaching you how to learn Aikido, and which do you think is more valuable? Can you even have one with out the other?"
I am of the opinion that it is very easy to "teach" aikido and not the learning of it. That's the 'monkey see-monkey do' principle. Those who studied under O'Sensei, I believe, not only got the training in how, but many were of sufficient intellect that they were able to make it their own and picked up different ways of passing it on.

Pity I missed that conversation, Robert, because I tend to side with Mary Kaye on this one.
I think we're getting all three: how to do, how to learn, and how to teach. One thing I appreciate from Sensei is that he treats everyone as equals on the mat, despite rank... and simply adjusts his speed, timing, power to the uke before him. He could easily toss any one of us around like he does Lan, but he knows where we are and what we can do.

Being that no two people are the same, especially in our class where we have just about every variety of size and shape of person (me being the 'good looking' person) we're lucky to train to adjust on the fly and still work on the basic principles nessecary to each and every technique.

By the way, we're not just a lot of "kiss-a**es" in Midland. If anything, we're Aikido-nerds. 90% of us are reading books, studing videos, dvd's, hit the forums... read, read, read. Some more than others, but our study of aikido doesn't stop when we step off the mat. I feel very lucky to study in such a group.

Domo artigato!

Old 05-19-2004, 04:51 PM   #10
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
I (me being the 'good looking' person)
Bos... If you're the 'good looking' person we are one extremly ugly group...
Old 05-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #11
Gareth Hinds
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston

I think what my sensei is really trying to teach me is makoto - sincerity.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:49 AM   #12
Vincent Munoz
Dojo: None
Philippines

I've been teaching aikido.

In order to be called aikido, the principles must always be present. If you cannot find any of its principle in a technique, I cannot call it aikido. That's how I criticize the people who uses the name Combat Aikido. They should not use the name Aikido because the meaning of Aikido compared to Combat is very opposite.

The continues movement, graceful footworks, no blocks, no collision, body-foot-hand-ki coordination, moving outside the line of attack and most importantly is how an aikidoka defend himself. It is very easy to hurt or kill people. You don't need aikido to do that. The difficult is how you defend yourself in such a way that you're not hurting your aggressor.

Going back to your subject. Your sensei is teaching you the right things. Aikido doesn't only mean technique.

Understand first deeply what aikido is and everything will be easy.

bong
Old 01-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #13
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

I think "Aikido" must be defined before you can have a discussion about it. So far, it seems like the word is being used differently by different people.

To me, "Aikido" could be defined as a group of hand-to-hand combat rooted movements that utilize a number of physical principals to exploit another's intincts.

If you agree with that definition, then you're learning Aikido and some additional lessons from your instructor. If you're finding lessons within the techniques, then maybe you could say that Aikido is teaching you life lessons.

I've always thought that it was rather egotistical for an instructor to teach more than samurai philosophy and technique on the mat. I believe it's that ego that causes instructors to have difficulty with classes.

How do you define "Aikido?"

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 01-27-2005 at 08:13 AM. Reason: making clarifications
Old 01-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #14
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
The Dao that can be named is not the Dao and upon being named is no longer the Dao....or something like that anyway

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #15
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
Anything from http://www.aikiweb.com/general/founder.html

"If you have not
Linked yourself
To true emptiness,
You will never understand
The Art of Peace."

or

"The Art of Peace does not rely on weapons or brute force to succeed; instead we put ourselves in tune with the universe, maintain peace in our own realms, nurture life, and prevent death and destruction. The true meaning of the term samurai is one who serves and adheres to the power of love."

Obtained from
http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/paloma.../artpeace.html

Old 01-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #16
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Thanks Jun for the doka of this day....I really like the reminder.

By his example my Sensei teaches me that if I go to class no matter how I feel emotionaly I will feel better after.class ;o)

I have also learned and forget and learned and forgot again and again that if I can keep my center or lose my center and then get it back I am much safer and more comfortable in the crazy world we live in.

For those lessons and thousands more I am most grateful to my sensei.
Mary
Old 01-27-2005, 11:00 AM   #17
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote:
I have also learned and forget and learned and forgot again and again that if I can keep my center or lose my center and then get it back I am much safer and more comfortable in the crazy world we live in.
Yes!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 01-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #18
Tim Heckman
Dojo: Tokushinkan/Oak Park
United_States

My sensei would probably say she is teaching the way of harmony with energy, and leave it at that.

"Shut up and train."-- Fumio Toyoda
Old 01-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #19
Adam Alexander
United_States

Regarding the responses to my question "how do you define Aikido": I can appreciate your perspectives on Aikido's philosophy. However, the style that I practice doesn't seem to get so deep into that stuff. Does that mean that this style does not meet your definition of Aikido?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #20
Narda
United_States

While I am a guest in this House of Aikido, and a newcomer to martial arts, I can say that what my teacher teaches, and what I am learning, are two very different things.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #21
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Jean,

For what it is worth, the style I am learning does not talk much about the philosophy either.
Lately, I have been asking myself: "WWOSD?" (What-Would-O-Sensei-Do)?
I am "qualified" or "enlightened" enough to do so? Probably not, but I am enjoying the exercise none the less, and the conclusions I make are my own....and I reserve the right to change them.

So, with that in mind, and combined with what I believe/ have learned: as long as your style of Aikido does not try and cripple your partner, I am more than comfortable with saying "yes, that is Aikido".

I would, personally, tend to say that your definition very accurately describes the physical interaction, but that overall Aikido is a little (or a lot) more than that...but again I can accept that definition just fine.

What is interesting to note is that we may not take the same path to it, but we do arrive at the same conclusion (don't we?).

Old 01-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #22
Adam Alexander
United_States

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
What is interesting to note is that we may not take the same path to it, but we do arrive at the same conclusion (don't we?).
Agreed.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #23
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Kumagai Shihan once said to me: "I am not teaching you waza (technique) for the sake of technique. There is something underneath the waza that we cannot get to any other way, something very deep. So we do the waza over and over again and little by little we see it." Just exactly what lies underneath waza he was reluctant to say, perhaps because words will always fail to reach it.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #24
Sue Hammerich
Dojo: Full Circle Aikido
United_States

Interesting that this thread should be revisited just now; I just emailed my Sensei with something like this.
I work in health care, seeing people with injuries of the upper extremity. I sent a progress note to a MD, advocating for some aspects of this person's care that I thought could use some extra looking at. The MD called me on the phone, very angry. Frankly, I was initially intimidated.But my sensei talks about this kind of thing; grounding in the face of anger and responding with a calm center. To be sure, I had all my ducks in a row in the original note, and provided the necessary findings to support my thesis. I grounded, cantered, and discussed this situation, and by the end of the call, the MD felt that I was right, and reconsidered his earlier response. Because of what Sensei Steve Steger has brought to my leaning,and the gift of his teaching, a patient will get the treatment she deserves. I've only been able to train for a very short time, but he has made a difference in the lives of others.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:08 PM   #25
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Sue:
wow....that was good to read...thank you
Mir