Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #76
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: AIKIDO - The way that doesn't work! - The Series

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
The problem is that either you can manifest aiki (albeit the quality can vary), or you can't.
I think there's a quantitative component involved and that the manifestation of aiki isn't binary (can or can't).

Quote:
Everyone with whom I have worked out who had aiki felt materially different. Even within a dojo, you can feel the difference between students training in IP and students who are not.
Agree. The differences are obvious. Students who are manifesting aiki move and feel differently from those who are mechanically practicing technique.

Quote:
This threads connects a couple of issues because I think at its base level, we recognize the limitations of aikido waza.
Like I said earlier, waza isn't the engine, it's the tool that focuses and applies the power generated by the engine. I think students, if not given instruction in mind/body coordination at an early stage of their study, see technique as an end in and of itself. That being said, Aikido techniques are excellent tools for learning the application of aiki due to the nature of their forms. It's one of the things that sets Aikido apart from other arts in which the mastering of technique is the primary focus.

Quote:
The difference is that Ueshiba was moving with full body connection (i.e. aiki) and eventually the student body did not possess that skill. The [successful] outcome of the movement could be contrived and that contrivance was the evolution of aikido. We now have this period of time where other martial arts can test our stuff and we become limited to the conditions of the contrivance. I don't like "right" or "wrong", because to each his own. But, we should not ignore this gap.
I think Ueshiba M purposely held back teaching aiki skills as an integral part of Aikido training because he wanted his students to discover for themselves the nature of aiki and their own Aikido. But that's just speculation on my part.

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, AIKIDO - The way that doesn't work! - The Series, I have to agree with Lenny Sly; for what he's looking to do, Aikido doesn't work. It's not because Aikido is lacking though, it's more likely that what he wants Aikido to be is something it was never designed to be.

Ron

Old 03-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #77
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, AIKIDO - The way that doesn't work! - The Series, I have to agree with Lenny Sly; for what he's looking to do, Aikido doesn't work. It's not because Aikido is lacking though, it's more likely that what he wants Aikido to be is something it was never designed to be.

Ron
Meaning what? It was never meant to be a "functional" martial art just with the techniques and without the knowledge of Aiki? You do realize that there are people claiming that Daito ryu/Aikido techniques are "obsolete", or plain and simple useless even with Aiki, that mma is the only "real deal" and that the "connective body" training should be used in that particular fashion. Not to mention all the other "combatives" nonsense I've bee hearing people talk about without having an actual clue about what combatives are.

Last edited by MrIggy : 03-12-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #78
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
Meaning what? It was never meant to be a "functional" martial art just with the techniques and without the knowledge of Aiki?
Yes.

Quote:
You do realize that there are people claiming that Daito ryu/Aikido techniques are "obsolete", or plain and simple useless even with Aiki,
Yes.

Quote:
that mma is the only "real deal" and that the "connective body" training should be used in that particular fashion.
Performance in many activities is enhanced with aiki.

Quote:
Not to mention all the other "combatives" nonsense I've bee hearing people talk about without having an actual clue about what combatives are.
Since I'm not interested in combatives I don't pay any attention to that stuff.

Ron

Old 03-13-2018, 04:02 AM   #79
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post

Performance in many activities is enhanced with aiki.
So I heard, but I'm currently interested in the martial activities.

Quote:
Since I'm not interested in combatives I don't pay any attention to that stuff.

Ron
So far I can say that's the best approach.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!