Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
5+ years with "IP/IT/IS"

Hello All,

I have been away from AikiWeb for some time, and have done some reflecting on the discussions here and my contributions to them.

I realized that some of you have been training specifically in "IP/IT/IS" for over five years.

I am looking for responses from Mark Murray and Rob Liberti and others, stating specifically how "IP/IT/IS" has benefited them, and what increases in effectiveness/abilities they have experienced. What they are looking for in the future. What is holding them back. And what disparity from their expectations they have experienced.

There is no judgment, positive or negative, implied in this thread, just curiosity.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
MM
United_States
Re: 5+ years with "IP/IT/IS"

Actually, it hasn't been 5 years yet. I met Dan in Oct of 2006. I wouldn't exactly call that a "training" session.

The next meeting was with Mike Sigman and Rob John and that was a training workshop. That was in Feb 2007.

I trained with Dan in Mar 2007. Workshops attended from Feb 2007 to the present.

With Rob John: 1
With Mike: 2
With Dan: 15

In 4 years and 5 months, I've had 17 seminars. An average of 3-4 per year.

Typically these are 2 day workshops. If we look at 8 hours per day, 2 days, we have 272 hours. Figure an average training week is 3 days at 2 hours a day for 6 hours. I've racked up about 45 training days over 4.5 years.

How far can one progress in that amount of time for Modern Aikido within those parameters? Would one even get past white belt?

I'm more stable now. The only person in aikido who can get me in a joint lock is Bill Gleason. I am getting better so that he has to work at it. I've played around with a judo person who outweighed me by 100 pounds and he couldn't throw me. It is much harder to get kuzushi on me.

But, since I stopped training aikido, I haven't actually had the chance to experience just how different I am. In that regard, I'd have to say I'm not really sure. Sorry. Would like to get together with you to talk and play around, but we're on different coasts. I've been thinking about going to a local judo or BJJ school to play just because, like you, I am curious.

As for the others ... if I remember correctly, none of them are at 5 years yet, either. Maybe 4-5 months shy.

The future? Getting better and better. I have progressed and I can tell I am progressing. It's only getting better. I look for the next few years to start generating Internal Power, spirals, kuzushi on contact, asagao, fure aiki, and elbow power.

Holding me back? Me. I just don't do the exercises enough. I don't put enough time into them. In the last 7 months, I haven't done hardly any training. I hate it, too. Then again, don't we all when we get like that.

Mark
Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
I've been thinking about going to a local judo or BJJ school to play just because, like you, I am curious.
If you go to "play" with a BJJ'er your size and 5 years of training time record it on video please,

I'm curious too.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
MM
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
If you go to "play" with a BJJ'er your size and 5 years of training time record it on video please,

I'm curious too.
Since I have 0 hours training in BJJ, I probably would video it. LOL! Because I have 45 days aiki versus 5 years BJJ. If I could hold my own, that'd be something.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
MM
United_States

I had a math mistake pointed out. I have 45 weeks in training and not days. Workshop total is correct because Rob and Mike did one together.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Since I have 0 hours training in BJJ, I probably would video it. LOL! Because I have 45 days aiki versus 5 years BJJ. If I could hold my own, that'd be something.
But you could easily nullify the judoka...
Is BJJ completely different from judo?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
But you could easily nullify the judoka...
If american.

Quote:
Is BJJ completely different from judo?
Funnier and safer, IME
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
jester

United_States

Quote:
I've played around with a judo person who outweighed me by 100 pounds and he couldn't throw me. It is much harder to get kuzushi on me.
Were you actively attacking him or just defending?

-

-It seems to be all about semantics!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
The next meeting was with Mike Sigman and Rob John and that was a training workshop. That was in Feb 2007.
If you mean that time a bunch of us met in a parking lot for a get-together/show-and-tell, that wasn't a workshop, as I remember it.

If you mean that show and tell at Jim Sorrentino's that wasn't really a workshop either. That was more like a brief in-service.

Mike
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
MM
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
If you mean that time a bunch of us met in a parking lot for a get-together/show-and-tell, that wasn't a workshop, as I remember it.

If you mean that show and tell at Jim Sorrentino's that wasn't really a workshop either. That was more like a brief in-service.

Mike
Yeah, that was the reference. In-service, it is. Wasn't really a true workshop, I agree. But it was more than a meet and greet.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
MM
United_States

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote: View Post
Were you actively attacking him or just defending?

-
Defending. It was just playing around and not tournament kind of serious. Made me curious about going to a judo place, though.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

So Mark,

How are you going to compare your progress if you don't have experience in serious alive rolling/randori with competent partners?.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Like Mark, I am less than five years into the type of IP/IT being discussed around here - about three years with Dan and about four and half years with Howard Popkin and DR aiki - although I have considerably more time and experience with Tohei's ki stuff, I do not consider that the same as the IP/IT from Dan and DR. However, it does provide a good foundation for learning their IP/IT.

So far, I am not faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, nor able to leap tall buildings in a single bound - maybe next year

On a serious note, I do the occasional Aikido seminar and I have found that I am better connected, softer, and more relaxed in technique application - and I have found that there are only three people that I can not stop from taking my balance during waza- those three being Dan, Howard, and Bill Gleason.

Greg
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
asiawide

My IP/IT/IS experiences are

Aunkai seminar : 2 times (5 hours per seminar)
Rob's coaching : 2 times (about 1 hour per session)
plus valuable info from Neijia forum
Solo training : 1 hour per day. 3~4 times a week since mid 2009.

Results are

1. Got a clue for doing kokyuho/aikiage/or whatever it called
I confess I couldn't do that and got no clues though I've been doing aikido for many years.

2. Easy to stop or nullify nage's techniques though I'm not resisting that much. Fix my dive-bunny habit too.

3. Others grumble that I'm heavier than before.

4. Feel connected when nage/uke push/pull me instatntly.

5. Feel more stable and comfortable in seiza

6. Can detect whether nage/uke is solid or float.

Of course these results are not much helping me to apply techniques to other people. And I'm just an average pain-in-the-ass&hard-to-throw joe in the dojo.

But I believe this baby step is a starting point to get better in the future.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

In short: no big increases in performance even in a cooperative training environment.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States

Quote:
In short: no big increases in performance even in a cooperative training environment.
He has had just 12 hours of instruction in two years and has made a great effort to work alone. Your remark is very unfair.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Unfair?

They were given the holy grail, the key for the awesomeness, the ultimate source of martial power, the door of the mad skillz was opened to them and...

Basically nothing achieved.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Quote:
They were given the holy grail, the key for the awesomeness, the ultimate source of martial power, the door of the mad skillz was opened to them and...

El burro hablando de orejas.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Sorry, I dont understand mexican insults. Try in Spanish.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

It wasn't an insult; it was an observation. What greatness have your methods achieved in 35 years of training? Perhaps you should not be so critical of others.

Last edited by Rabih Shanshiry : 08-04-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #21
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
Unfair?

Hi Demetrio,

Feeling kinda left out there and bitter there? LOL

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Yeah, Demetrio...what have you gained after training in 35 years? Curious.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:

asiawide wrote:

Quote:
1. Got a clue for doing kokyuho/aikiage/or whatever it called
I confess I couldn't do that and got no clues though I've been doing aikido for many years.

2. Easy to stop or nullify nage's techniques though I'm not resisting that much. Fix my dive-bunny habit too.

3. Others grumble that I'm heavier than before.

4. Feel connected when nage/uke push/pull me instatntly.

5. Feel more stable and comfortable in seiza

6. Can detect whether nage/uke is solid or float.
After 12 hours instruction and working by himself he got initiated or improved:

- directing energy
- using less muscle
- feeling heavier to partners
- connected body / connection
- became more stable
- increased sensitivity

So nothing eh? I thought these things were kind of important in martial arts.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #24
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
Yeah, Demetrio...what have you gained after training in 35 years? Curious.
Me? Nothing.

A pair of people around... more time in this planet.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #25
JW

Mark did say he was interested in going to a BJJ or judo place, to check on things.
Demetrio, competetive practice aside, what progress would you expect to be described within the cooperative context? Would you agree that the maximum observable progress is something like what Mark, Greg and Jaemin described-- being hard to throw, not having balance taken, etc? I mean it's not like someone is going to say I could never do ikkyo before but since I met Dan now I can ikkyo all day long.

I just mean because in aikido you are generally not stopped from succeeding. In aikido, you can even ikkyo with one finger only-- as long as that is what sensei showed, most of your attempts will work, with or without IP.

Anyway I agree that a more free environment is the real testing ground. Though at some point, you should be able to go to an aikido dojo and have your own internal feedback as to how "well" you are doing, even if it is not something to talk about here (I was able to stay connected through 90% of the movements today, or that kind of thing).