Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
who'd you go back in time to train with?

So I heard on the radio recently that some physics professor had a theory on time travel (I assume backwards since I'm already going forward at the rate of 1 second per second myself) and that it had successfully passed peer review. So, lets say some one takes that to the point of making a time travel device and you could go back in time to train with anyone who would you go see?

I would certainly want to meet O-sensei - especially when he was still personally teaching. But how fun would it be to go back in time and say take ukemi for Saotome sensei's shodan test - or meet Tohei sensei as a total newbie and show him unbendable arm!

I would love to go back and visit a class where my sensei was just 1 rank higher than me now and get to work out with him. He'd be thinking - this visitor is so intuitive - it's like he knows what I'm going to do before I do it and stays right with me!

Anyway, I thought it might be a fun idea to explore.

Rob
Old 11-21-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: who'd you go back in time to train with?

Gozo Shioda sensei.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
crbateman

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
But how fun would it be to go back in time and say take ukemi for Saotome sensei's shodan test - or meet Tohei sensei as a total newbie and show him unbendable arm!
I'm afraid that, if my instruction was the first encountered by Tohei Sensei, Aikido would immediately be set back 200 years...

And if the concept of temporal paradox (back in time, kill your father, you disappear) is valid, I would now be well-rested but bored, and have a much smaller book collection.

Seriously, though, I think it would be interesting to go back and watch those accomplished and illustrious teachers that I respect so much, as they learned the art. It would be revealing to see if the magic was in the teaching or the learning.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Dan Herak
Dojo: Florida Aikikai

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I'm already going forward at the rate of 1 second per second

Rob
I have to use this line sometime.

I have two thoughts on this and you have touched on both. One is to train with the great teachers and it would have been great to train with O-Sensei or Saito and Tohei Senseis in their prime.

But it would also be cool to, say, watch O-Sensei on his first day of martial arts training or something of that sort. Just to watch this absolute newbie that you knew would grow into a master.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Ulises Garcia

Mexico

O-Sensei, pre-war. Hands down.

"He who dies with the most toys...still dies."
Old 11-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Japanese Arts? Myamoto Musashi (if he really exsisted the way the literature paints him)

American Martial Arts? Robert Rodgers (of "Rodgers Rangers fame...I'm a Ranger, what can I say :")

After that it would be a toss up between Jigaro Kano and O'Sensei as they refined things into Budo. I think it would be necessary to study with brilliant, raw tacticians before studying with these two, to appreciate what they would teach.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
rob_liberti
United_States

I think I would re-visit some of the same seminars over an over again as I got better. It would be fun having my better at aikido self from the future as a partner.

Rob
Old 11-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

I think I'd like to "train" with the guys who jumped me before I knew aikido.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 11-21-2005, 04:52 PM   #9
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States

I'd like to go back and train with Jigaro Kano or possibly even before his time and train with the Saburai.

How neat it would be to train with the Samurai.........

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu
Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Sokaku Takeda, then Morihei Ueshiba, then Gozo Shioda, Koichi Tohei, Terry Dobson, Don Dreager and time allowing Kisshomaru Ueshiba, Hikitsuchi, Osawa (Sr), Nishio, Yasuo Kobayashi (when he was younger) and a whole host of others too numerous to list.
And while it would be interesting to see my own sensei or senseis that I know well when they were younger, I think I would use time travel first to see those that I have missed the opportunity to know.
But, be prepared, as often the myth is more impressive than the person which is why I probably would not select Musashi, as I think I am content with his story as it is.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Kano, when he first broke away from Ju-Jitsu and O'Sensei are definatly the top of my list.
But although Mr Bowen mentioned how a myth is often bigger than the man, the duel between Miyamoto Musashi and Muso Gunnosuke, for me, would've have been the one to watch.

Last edited by Tim Gerrard : 11-21-2005 at 06:16 PM. Reason: cos i'm a mong who can't spell

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #12
ad_adrian

Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane Dojo
Australia

morihei ueshiba (pre war) or gozo shioda (post war)

adrian
Old 11-22-2005, 12:44 AM   #13
Mike Fugate
Dojo: The School of Two Styles
United_States
Do symbol Re: who'd you go back in time to train with?

Wow, what a question. If lets say time travel were possible, which myself I still believe it is simply a hypothesis and a theory regardless of what whomever may say,,,Hypotheticaly speaking of course and Butterfly Theory free,,,,I would with out a question train with the Shaolin Monks. The Real Shaolin Temple of old, not the one the stands today. To me training in a place such as O-mei Shan Temple must have been so beautiful and absolutley enlightening. It was truly the melting pot of the Shaolin Kung Fu and Oriental practices....With everything from Taoist, Buddhist, Confucist, Medicinal, and Fighting arts melted into such a place one can only wonder of what wonders existed there. The O-Mei system was made up of over 300 diff. styles made into one.... Such a shame that treasures like these are lost due to the ignorance of mankind

"When you cease to strive to understand, then you will know without understanding." -- Caine
Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 AM   #14
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

I would go all the way back to the time of The Trojan war and train with Archilles, the God of War himself.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:10 AM   #15
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I would of course like to see O Sensei in his prime, perhaps take some ukemi, and practice with some of today's famous names when they were just starting out. But if I could, I would really like to spend a lot of time with Yamaguchi Sensei.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 AM   #16
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry

I'd go back and take all of the classes that I was stupid enough to miss (or skip because I was too lazy, tired or distracted) with Tom Moss Sensei. Only now that he's gone do I realise what a phenomenal man he was. I miss him.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 11-22-2005, 05:42 AM   #17
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

If we are talking outside aikido then I would also want to train with Musashi and with that yagyu guy who taught the tokugawa's, his name escapes me though.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #18
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
If we are talking outside aikido then I would also want to train with Musashi and with that yagyu guy who taught the tokugawa's, his name escapes me though.
Yagyu Munenori?

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 11-22-2005, 06:29 AM   #19
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

was it Yagyu Jubei Mitsuyoshi? i just did a quick search as i was curious! personally it would be musashi for swordwork, for aikido it would be o'sensei while he was still formalising aikido, i would love to have known what was going on in his mind while he was creating aikido. i would love to have lived with the samurai for a year, to be able to devote my life to budo like THAT would be brilliant

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 11-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #20
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

'to be able to devote my life to budo like THAT would be brilliant'

Yeah especially if you had to cut your stomach open...

And I believe it was Munenori I was after, thanks Bryan!

Old 11-22-2005, 07:22 AM   #21
Steve Mullen
England

ah, my guy was your guy's son

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 11-22-2005, 07:23 AM   #22
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Lolz.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:49 AM   #23
rob_liberti
United_States

I would want to see these great people too. I don't think I would _start out_ going back to see O-sensei or Yamaguchi sensei doing their best aikido for anything other than to get an image. I would want to find some excellent folks while they were more intermediate level and spend time with them first. Then I would want to go see those incredible instructors mainly to get to work out with the folks in the class. I guess I still think it is easier to learn from people who are just a little bit over you than it is to learn from someone miles ahead of you. I remember visiting Takeda sensei. After about a week and a half of me attacking him at full speed and wondering how he seemed to disappear and reappear behind me, I got fairly convinced that I wasn't going to be ready to understand what the heck he was showing any time soon. I don't really want to spend any more time being _that_ hopelessly lost. I figure if I still have no idea what he is doing, I'm not going to get all that much insight by watching his teacher or his teacher's teacher - not yet anyway. BUt hope springs eternal.

Rob
Old 11-22-2005, 07:52 AM   #24
Steve Mullen
England

i love the way aikido can have that trickle down effect you just mentioned Rob, and when you learn like that you get all the influences of all the people it has filtered through. training with the student of the student of the sensei you admire means you get his influence and all of those below him

Old 11-22-2005, 08:08 AM   #25
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Son House, T-Bone Walker, Jimi Hendrix, The Late-Great Stevie Ray Vaughn.....
Sorry, I have pondered that question in the musical context much more.
But in Martial arts, I would love to have gotten a chance to train a bit with several....Nishio Sensei comes to mind first, probably since the opportunity so recently vanished.

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!