Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-24-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
The Original Meaning of Aikido

the Japanese languages has many homophones.
It is known, that karate moved its meaning from KARA-te (Chinese Boxing) to kara te (empty hand fight). So maybe the original meaning of aikido was totally different?

I'm not very familiar with the Japanese language nad I do not know, how to create the right kanji and kana on machine. So I just do a simple start I write just the romaji and give the number of the knji I have found (first should be the official launched by the ministry, second is from Nelson's japanese English Character Dictionary)

ai- (146;2241) (opposite, two-way)
KI (135;2507) steam
DO (149;4724), as we all know

this could mean that it was the way , how one could punch each other with full steam - or so.

I don't know, if my metaphor is taken well, in German steam also stands for force, since the first steam engines.

But you all can find better examples, it can also be "a i ki do". And this is the humor section, so feel free for brain storming. Nevertheless there is a chance that someone will take us serious and comes back with a historically undermined article

Waiting for good and funny ideas
And if we are ready with this we can go back to further mutations, i.e. take other readings of a symbol use the other meaning and then finally find homophones to those.

Dirk
Old 09-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: The Original Meaning of Aikido

At the dojo where I used to train, a young Chinese American man came in laughing one day telling us his grandma had seen his tshirt and, wrinkling her nose, inquired "You practice the way of holding your breath?"

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-25-2005, 05:31 AM   #3
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

Well, the kanji for KI is a combination of 'steam/cloud' and 'rice'. Now I don't know about you, but with enough brown rice I can, err, produce enough steam (this is the secret technique of getting more lift during koshinage).
So, the art of simultanious wind-breakage?

On a semi-serious note, an explanation from a Chinese friend of mine:
"People make the translation of 'aiki-do' much too complicated. First, the word is 'aiki', it looses its real sense when you break it up into its two parts. And 'aiki' is an everyday word, not something to do with Universal power or something very spiritual. I heard the word a lot when I was growing up from my grandmother - whenever me and my brother were fighting she would sigh and say "Can't you two try to have a little more heqi (aiki)?" "

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 09-25-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Tim Griffiths wrote:
On a semi-serious note, an explanation from a Chinese friend of mine:
"People make the translation of 'aiki-do' much too complicated. First, the word is 'aiki', it looses its real sense when you break it up into its two parts. And 'aiki' is an everyday word, not something to do with Universal power or something very spiritual. I heard the word a lot when I was growing up from my grandmother - whenever me and my brother were fighting she would sigh and say "Can't you two try to have a little more heqi (aiki)?" "

Tim
I agree that people make the translation of 'aiki' much too complicated, but I disagree that 'aiki' is an everyday word in Japanese. So, your friend's Chinese grandmother was probably quite right about the lack of heqi, but I think this word would have come into Japanese as gouki (Ť‡‹C), but neither gouki nor aiki appear in Japanese monolingual dictionaries and none of my Japanese friends have a use for gouki in everyday Japanese. I thik the term is special to the Japanese martial arts.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #5
Dirk Hanss

Germany

Thanks Peter,
please don't forget, this is the humor section, so we are just brainstorming.
kido is well known as railway track
a- can mean below or under-, sub-
i is an officer
so aikido is a corporal or sergeant of the Japanese railway system, yes?

Dirk
Old 09-25-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
the Japanese languages has many homophones....But you all can find better examples, it can also be "a i ki do". And this is the humor section, so feel free for brain storming.
Not a funny re-post here, but actually, the way the founder--and a long line of religious texts and people--used puns, is just like this. But they come with an agenda and so selectively choose which meanings they like leaving wielders of Mr. Occam's razor apoplectic at the arbitrariness of their associations. Mysticism is a dirty word in science.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 09-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #7
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
Thanks Peter,
please don't forget, this is the humor section, so we are just brainstorming.
kido is well known as railway track
a- can mean below or under-, sub-
i is an officer
so aikido is a corporal or sergeant of the Japanese railway system, yes?

Dirk
Sorry, I do not understand your reasoning, or sense of humour.

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-26-2005, 05:39 AM   #8
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

No jokes from my side, either, but here´s an explanation (taken from - I believe - Lowry´s book called Sword and Brush"):

The parts symbolizing rice and steam mean to show that you cannot see energy/ki in itself, but you can however see it´s effect: it boils the rice and meks the steam rise.

Regards,
Sonja
Old 09-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Dirk Hanss

Germany

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
Sorry, I do not understand your reasoning, or sense of humour.
Peter,
you don't have to be sorry, as obviously you're not the only one.

I just wanted some people who just know little Japanese or like "real humour", play around with potential (mostly absurd) meanings of aikido.

It could be fun and for some maybe improve their vocabulary with such kind of game, and some might ask good questions afterwards here or in another thread.

The starting idea was, that I learnt that many words or their chosen pronounciation are taken because of arbitrary meanings to show that their is an additional influence, one does not want to explain widespread.

I just wanted to start with "rubbish" a) just for fun -and b) to avoid discussions about "inappropriate interpretation" and disrespect. As long as it is just fun - if you don't like it just present a better one.

I like the explanations about history, frequent use of special idioms, etc. I just feared it might spoil the fun.

Obviously there haven't been too many people who share my sense of humour so there was nothing to spoil.

But when I get to other questions I will ask them in the language section.

Dirk
Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Well, if its simple sound/meaning association you are looking for, without worrying about the correct way in which aikido is written in Chinese characters, you should go to Nelson's index of characters.

There is only one character for 'ai', but there are 18 for 'A' or 'a', 71 for 'I' or 'i', 139 for 'KI' or 'ki', and 41 for 'DO' or 'do'. Exploring the possible combinations of all these would probably take you at least one lifetime and you would also learn some Japanese in the process. There might be some interesting meaning combinations as well.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury